Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5788120 - 04/09/13 01:35 PM

Quote:

Hyakutake was stunning. Aquamarine color and a tail stretching 90 (?) degrees. No warning = no hype, just performance.

Comet Hyakutake was my favorite comet too.

Dave Mitsky

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BillFerris
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/17/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5789006 - 04/09/13 07:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hyakutake was stunning. Aquamarine color and a tail stretching 90 (?) degrees. No warning = no hype, just performance.

Comet Hyakutake was my favorite comet too.

Dave Mitsky

Hyakutake was a great public event comet. With plenty of advance notice that this one was gonna rock, Madison Astronomical Society scheduled three public viewings, two in town and a second at a county park. All three were promoted by the local news media. One of the city events was clouded out but the other two viewings were well-attended. The event at the county park was extremely successful...the line of cars pulling into the parking lot was like a scene out of "Field of Dreams."

Bill in Flag

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: BillFerris]
      #5789037 - 04/09/13 08:08 PM

IIRC (and I'm pretty sure I do) Hyakutake was spectacular but only in a dark sky and only for a few days. A few months later, Hale-Bopp was bright enough to be very easily visible even in polluted skies & hung around for many months - but never reached the same size as Hyakutake.

The difference between a small, active comet approaching quite close to the earth (Hyakutake) and a huge, active comet whose orbit kept it a long way away (Hale-Bopp which I don't think ever got closer to Earth than the Sun is).

Panstarrs? Sorry but small, distant and only moderately active. Nice sight in small scope or binoculars but nothing special. Ison might be better, let's hope it doesn't fizzle as many sungrazers do.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: brianb11213]
      #5789147 - 04/09/13 09:11 PM

I am holding out for Ison. Hyakutake was sheer spectacle - grand, sprawling, detailed and the plaque sheen of the pseudo nucleus was like a silver bullet buried in a wooly coma. It was an astonishing object.

My second fav I never saw but the pics make me envious of those who did is COMET IKEYA-SEKI. Second faV that I DID see was Hale Bopp. The concentric blowing off the nucleus were unexpected and captivating.

I used to follow faint telescopic comets but I don't anymore and do I long for a classic brilliant dramatic tail unfurling comet.

Pete

BillFerris
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/17/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: brianb11213]
      #5789376 - 04/09/13 11:39 PM

My fist telescopic observation and sketch of Hyakutake was made March 14, 1996. Two days later, I noted it as a naked eye object with a degree-and-a-half long tail. On March 22, the comet was an obvious naked eye object in Bootes and a brilliant binocular target. The best view I enjoyed was on March 27, 1996 when comet Hyakutake was very near Polaris with a tail extending through the bowl of the Big Dipper into Coma Berenices and beyond.

Hale-Bopp was spectacular in its own way. While Hyakutake was all elegance and grace, Hale-Bopp dominated the night sky. It was visible in moderate aperture more than 18 months before reaching perihelion. For several months in early 1997, Hale-Bopp was an ever-present companion. It was so impressive as to inspire me to dabble in prime focus imaging through my old 10-inch Starfinder. I recall going to Albertson's for a loaf of bread and some eggs, walking through the parking lot back to my car, and glancing casually up to see Hale-Bopp silently blazing away. It was just always there and seeing it night after night became rather mundane.

Oh well, comet ISON may put on a spectacular show...or maybe she won't. Eventually, another brilliant comet will grace the northern night sky and a new generation of comet observers will be inspired.

Bill in Flag

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
      #5789400 - 04/10/13 12:04 AM

I expected nothing, got nothing, so I'm not disappointed. It's safer that way.

TxStars
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/01/05

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: Kraus]
      #5789430 - 04/10/13 12:39 AM

Panstarrs was a nice preview of how high up ISON will be when it's brightest. (Sunset/rise)
My top comets are:
1)West
2)Hale-Bopp
3)Hyaukutake
4)NEAT

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: Tonk]
      #5794791 - 04/12/13 03:53 PM

Comet PANSTARRS is considered a non-periodic comet. It probably took millions of years to come from the great Oort comet cloud surrounding our solar system.

http://www.solarviews.com/eng/oort.htm

Once it rounds the sun, experts say, its orbit will shorten to only 110,000 years. It is, for sure, a once-in-a-lifetime comet.

All I have to do is see that, and that alone makes Comet PannStarr so completely overwhelming, its mind boggling. Knowing we are so far away, and something has come close enough for us to actually witness, how can anyone not be overwhelmingly impressed.
In 1986, in my early 20's, I watched Haley's comet from the time it was a tiny fuzz of light in my 80mm Vixen Refractor on my balcony with my wife in our first apartment. Everyone I knew was so impressed I was able to find it and see it, 6 months before it made its closest approach. This was the comet everyone talked about when we were growing up, how cool was that to see it.
When it finally came around close, it was very dim but large, and I remember finding abandoned roads to go observe it early in the morning. Some said it was a "dud" but I'm still impressed by it.

I guess it just depends on how you perceive the things around you. Life itself is amazing, astronomy is amazing. No one will probably ever see PannStarr again, but in our short time here on Earth, we all got to see it.

How can people not be impressed with seeing and knowing what we were able to witness. Everything in the universe is unique and special, and for as long as I can, I'm gonna enjoy every bit of it!!

Ralph in Sacramento
Founder of the Sacramento Valleys Active Astronomers group of Veteran Astronomers.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

#5795211 - 04/12/13 06:56 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Quote:

My fist telescopic observation and sketch of Hyakutake was made March 14, 1996. Two days later, I noted it as a naked eye object with a degree-and-a-half long tail. On March 22, the comet was an obvious naked eye object in Bootes and a brilliant binocular target. The best view I enjoyed was on March 27, 1996 when comet Hyakutake was very near Polaris with a tail extending through the bowl of the Big Dipper into Coma Berenices and beyond.

Hale-Bopp was spectacular in its own way. While Hyakutake was all elegance and grace, Hale-Bopp dominated the night sky. It was visible in moderate aperture more than 18 months before reaching perihelion. For several months in early 1997, Hale-Bopp was an ever-present companion. It was so impressive as to inspire me to dabble in prime focus imaging through my old 10-inch Starfinder. I recall going to Albertson's for a loaf of bread and some eggs, walking through the parking lot back to my car, and glancing casually up to see Hale-Bopp silently blazing away. It was just always there and seeing it night after night became rather mundane.

I was able to observe Comet Hale-Bopp for an incredibly long span of time, seeing it for the last time from the Caribbean in February of 1998. I had many great views of the comet through a variety of instruments and got some fairly good photos of it, as well.

Dave Mitsky

Comet Hale-Bopp
prime focus through a 5" f/5 achromatic refractor
one-minute exposure on Kodak Royal Gold 1000 film
ASH Naylor Observatory
March 9, 1997

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

#5795320 - 04/12/13 08:17 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

I took this tripod-mounted picture of Comet Hale-Bopp over a friend's observatory dome in April of 1997 with a Pentax K1000 SLR camera, a Pentax 50mm lens, and Kodak Royal Gold 1000 film. The exposure time was approximately 30 seconds. Dr. Alan Hale was kind enough to autograph this print for me at the 40th anniversary Lehigh Valley Amateur Astronomical Society banquet later that year

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

#5795325 - 04/12/13 08:21 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Here's another 30-second exposure that I shot that same month at Little Buffalo State Park, which is located in Perry County, Pennsylvania. The equipment used was a Pentax K1000 SLR camera and a Pentax 50mm lens and the film was Kodak Royal Gold 1000.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

#5795333 - 04/12/13 08:28 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

This eyepiece projection shot was taken using the Astronomical Society of Harrisburg's 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain and a Pentax K1000 SLR camera. Comet Hale-Bopp O1's pseudonucleus and unique parabolic hoods are clearly visible.

idp
sage

Reged: 08/21/09

Loc: New Haven, CT
      #5798171 - 04/14/13 11:52 AM

Not much impressed having observed Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp back in the days; anyway, while I was out to look for Panstarrs I got the glorious vision of the great meteor that crossed New England skies a few weeks ago.

It was so kind as to stretch right across the western horizon, which I was scanning for the comet and it was about 14,000 times more spectacular. But hey, I would have missed it if not for Panstarrs!

Ivano

leonard
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/19/07

Loc: West Virginia
      #5798293 - 04/14/13 01:16 PM

Hello ,

The pic's are very nice , I like this one ( over the observatory dome ) a lot .
The 1990's were very good for comet lovers .

Edited by leonard (04/14/13 01:19 PM)

Dan Finnerty
sage

Reged: 09/11/11

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5798818 - 04/14/13 04:45 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

Quote:

Its been a while since a decent comet has come along a d that might be part of this, but on every account this comet is so... blah. I can't motivate myself to bother looking for it as its such a drab specimen. So yes Ive panned Panstarrs.

Pete

It was plenty interesting enough for me. I considered it a practice run for ISON and Siding Spring

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: Dan Finnerty]
      #5799882 - 04/15/13 04:51 AM

Quote:

Its been a while since a decent comet has come along a d that might be part of this, but on every account this comet is so... blah. I can't motivate myself to bother looking for it as its such a drab specimen. So yes Ive panned Panstarrs.

Pete

I guess you only panned it because it was below the unrealistic expectations you set for it

The moderate comet C/2012 K5 LINEAR got plenty of interest on this forum back in Jan and didn't get panned or diss'ed because no unrealistic expectation were set. Its was an interesting comet too as it moved across the sky at a high rate.

How about seeing Pan-STARRS as a distinct step up from C/2012 K5 (the brightest preceding comet in N Hem - Lemmon for you southeners) and not by comparing it to centuary class comets from the last millenium as it was never in a month of Sundays going to compete!

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
      #5799918 - 04/15/13 06:27 AM

All I know is I'll take any comet I can get.

Rich (RLTYS)

Isdaako

Reged: 03/24/13

Loc: Devils Tower, Wyoming
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5805667 - 04/17/13 10:14 PM

Clouds prevented my observation of Panstarrs. Like many others I look at any comet as a gift.

Thanks for the posting the great photos.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5805785 - 04/17/13 10:54 PM

Tonk posted:

Quote:

How about seeing Pan-STARRS as a distinct step up from C/2012 K5 (the brightest preceding comet in N Hem - Lemmon for you southeners) and not by comparing it to centuary class comets from the last millenium as it was never in a month of Sundays going to compete!

The first comet I ever saw was the periodic comet Giacobini-Zinner way back in the summer of 1972. I picked it up by accident while viewing M33 during the testing out my newly-built 8 inch f/7 Newtonian, and on subsequent apparitions, I often just go after it for old time's sake. It was just a puff of light, but at times, it would display a bit of a conical "shuttlecock" shape with a hint of tail. Still, it was a good introduction to what most comets look like. After Kohoutek in 1973-74 (which, as I mentioned was *far* better than Panstarrs), my next comet was the naked-eye (barely) comet Kobyashi-Berger-Milon in the summer of 1975. While it was fainter (around mag. 4.5 or so), it was much better placed for viewing, high in the dark summer sky. You could see at least a degree of tail to that one, and at times, multiple streamers were visible in it. After that came the spectacular appearance of Comet West which totally made up for the problems with Kohoutek's performance. After West, there was a serious drouth of good comets, although a few did just reach naked-eye visibility and were nice in binoculars or a telescope. Beyond that, we had to wait for the spectacular pair of Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp. I would have to rate Panstarrs as an "above average" comet, but not one to really get excited about. Clear skies to you.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? [Re: David Knisely]
      #5805845 - 04/17/13 11:21 PM

Do they really have to filter that word HERE???

Pete

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2393

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics