Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5805959 - 04/18/13 12:40 AM

Quote:

Do they really have to filter that word HERE???

Pete

I changed the term to one word, so we'll see how that goes. There is a crater on the moon that is spelled "H E L L", but if you link the letters to spell that name properly, the "CN Nanny" gets you and bleeps it out too. Ah, the silliness of it. The earlier word that the CN Nanny got irritated about is an actual non-indecent word describing a male rooster (gee, shuttle-male-rooster??) and the last act of preparing a single-action handgun for firing, so I guess the context doesn't seem to matter much. In any case, comets when still telescopic sometimes look like the conical device used when playing Badminton. I noted Hale-Bopp was that way for the longest time even when it started to become visible to the unaided eye, but once it started growing a tail, that effect sort of faded away. Clear skies to you.

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5806129 - 04/18/13 06:37 AM

Just came in from observing Panstarrs with my 10" refl. I can understand why one would not be inspired by this comet. I was able to observe a fairly bright coma with a very almost starlike pseudo nucleus but the tail was extremely faint, seen only with averted vision and "tapping" the scope. But to be fair, this observation was done with Panstarrs being low in the northeastern, light polluted sky with nearby street lights. Was hopeing for a brighter looking comet.

Rich (RLTYS)

coldfielder

Reged: 08/07/09

Loc: Bruges Belgium
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5808201 - 04/19/13 06:47 AM

come on guys, also last evening I saw a stunning comet I didn't notice for years in the telescope, even at my estimated mag. 7 now, the tail still is marvelous, long triangle shaped and stripes noticed...

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: coldfielder]
      #5809862 - 04/19/13 11:57 PM

Stunning? At 7 its just "nice". But its perception and tastes afterall. Hale Bopp is stunning, Hyakutake was stunning this is kinda ...

Well its what one makes of it. There's nothing intrinsically bad - just hoped for more if only because its been too long.

Pete

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

#5810188 - 04/20/13 07:47 AM

Quote:

Stunning? At 7 its just "nice". But its perception and tastes afterall. Hale Bopp is stunning, Hyakutake was stunning this is kinda ...

Well its what one makes of it. There's nothing intrinsically bad - just hoped for more if only because its been too long.

Pete

Pete, in PanSTARRS' case the most accurate descriptive word I'd use is "pathetic", at least for anyone who has viewed any naked eye comet of significance in the past.

NYW&B

Edited by BrooksObs (04/20/13 07:50 AM)

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #5811145 - 04/20/13 03:19 PM

Quote:

accurate descriptive word I'd use is "pathetic",

Ok that makes 99.9% of all comets pathetic - might as well give up chasing the b****rs down

NO! no comet is pathetic to me - they are all interesting to observe - and compared to the batch we've had over the last few years this ones darned good.

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: Tonk]
      #5811368 - 04/20/13 04:49 PM

I enjoyed Panstarrs. I enjoy hunting down fainter comets as well. Some are certainly better than others and some are stunning, but none are boring to me.

I really enjoyed observing Gerrard when it passed M71 and the Coathanger a few days after that. Seeing those pairings in the same low power field of a 5" newt from a dark sky was beautiful.

Panstarrs between the horizon and the moon on March 13th was very nice in binoculars IMO. Certainly not a showstopper, but a great start to the evenings observations.

Hey, I had a lot of fun chasing Linear and McNaught too. But then I also like burnt toast.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
      #5811971 - 04/20/13 10:28 PM

I'd have to say it was the most golden yellow that I remember.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2392

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics