Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs?
      #5782626 - 04/06/13 09:09 PM

Its been a while since a decent comet has come along a d that might be part of this, but on every account this comet is so... blah. I can't motivate myself to bother looking for it as its such a drab specimen. So yes Ive panned Panstarrs.

Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5783005 - 04/07/13 01:23 AM

I'm also among the underwhelmed.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5783031 - 04/07/13 02:03 AM

Quite frankly, even Comet Kohoutek in 1973-74 was better than PanStarrs was. I went out and saw the comet a few weeks ago, and while it was "OK" (good for a telescopic or binocular comet), overall, it wasn't much to write home about. Clear skies to you.

krp
Vendor. DarkSiteFinder.com

Reged: 11/10/10

Loc: Central Illinois
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5783034 - 04/07/13 02:06 AM

I'm young so it is the best comet I have ever seen. But it is annoying how close it is to the horizon and how little time there is to view it.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: krp]
      #5783508 - 04/07/13 10:39 AM

Well it is a matter of perspective. At our club's public viewing I found PANSTARRS in my TMB92L and thought "that's an ok little comet, but I was hoping for more." When I showed it to members of the public they almost uniformly gasped and oohed and aahed and said "Oh my God I am looking at an actual comet!" Perhaps we get a little jaded after many years of observing?

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5783679 - 04/07/13 12:15 PM

Yeah I think so. I m waiting for another Hyakutake to grace the zenith again. THAT was a COMET.

Pete

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

#5783710 - 04/07/13 12:34 PM

"Perhaps we get a little jaded after many years of observing?" - MikeBOKC

Not really, Mike. Speaking as someone who has been viewing comets for five decades and fully appreciating them, PanSTARRS' show was downright pathetic as "bright" comets go.

Public reaction, on the other hand, can always be countered on these days to be absolute amazement on being introduced to most anything unfamiliar in the real world. It is the result of spending 99% of their time glued to the boob-tube, computer screens, Nintendo, Ipods, or whatever gizmo and totally losing touch with the natural enviroment that surrounds them. Never underestimate the public's naivete today.

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (04/07/13 12:35 PM)

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #5783749 - 04/07/13 12:55 PM

I've been able to observe the comet on five occasions, the last time being on Friday night. With the weather and the comet's low altitude, it's been a somewhat frustrating experience but the views of PanSTARRS that I had through 10x50 and 15x70 binoculars on March 13th and through various binoculars and telescopes, ranging from an 80mm achromatic refractor to a 17" classical Cassegrain, on March 14th and 19th were rather good.

So while it certainly wasn't an awe-inspiring comet and was overblown by the media, as is usually the case, I did enjoy seeing it.

P.S. Compared to 63P/Wild, as seen at 183x through a 17.5" TeleKit Dob with a Zambuto mirror on Friday night, PanSTARRS was impressive.

Dave Mitsky

eps0mu0

Reged: 01/16/06

Loc: San Francisco, CA
      #5783791 - 04/07/13 01:16 PM

I have to disagree on the pan.
My wife of five years has started to share my appreciation of astronomy. While she has been able to see many celestial objects, she always has wanted to see a 'real' comet. She saw comets Holmes and Garrard. These were nice (and Holmes was pretty impressive), but these were not 'real'. She wanted to see a comet with a tail, not just a fuzzy blob.
On Mar 12th, we went to spot with unobstructed western views. Through low clouds and haze we saw an beautiful, colorful sunset. A short while later, the very dramatic very thin crescent moon popped into view. About a half hour later, we were able to see comet Panstarrs through binoculars. The pairing of the moon and comet was awesome. And it was obviously a 'real' comet, it sported a bright coma, and a tail! We were able to see it for about twenty minutes before it set into the low clouds and haze. We then had a nice dinner to cap off the evening.
I am happy I was able to see Panstarrs. After reading the many posts on this forum, it was clear it would not be a spectacular apparition, but I was not disappointed. I am looking forward to ISON.
Regards,
J.F.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5783885 - 04/07/13 02:11 PM

I love every comet I have ever seen, even the faint telescopic ones. I rather enjoyed PANSTARRS (or maybe still will as a morning object) because it was so, well, PRETTY. Beautiful yellow dust tail, nicely fan-shaped. It was easy enough to find that my wife picked it up before me a couple of times. It was no Halley or Hale-Bopp, but those are rare. It was a whole lot better than the average green smudges I see a few times a year in the scope.

I guess I just like dirty snowballs.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5784456 - 04/07/13 06:15 PM

Definitely concur on the general public malaise, Brooks. But now and then at an outreach event I am encouraged to encounter someone who expresses a real and abiding interest for shows like NOVA about astronomy . . .

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
      #5784800 - 04/07/13 09:13 PM

I viewed Panstarrs four times in March, 3 with my 11x56 binoculars and once with my Meade 8" SCT. I have seen several comets prior to Panstarrs, but this comet had a nice short tail, a bright core region and an orange/pink glow being close to the sun at sunset. All comets are unique and I appreciate the opportunity to view them as they don't come around every day.

Bill

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #5784989 - 04/07/13 10:50 PM

Quote:

All comets are unique and I appreciate the opportunity to view them as they don't come around every day.

+1

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

#5785044 - 04/07/13 11:27 PM

Pete - Overall I was a little letdown but one highlight was I got to attend a Star Party at McDonald's Observatory on March 12 and the view was nice as it was just left of the moon by about 5 deg. Visually it was hard to see but with a pair of binoculars it looked pretty cool. The view through various size scopes was really nice.... Tony

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5785067 - 04/07/13 11:46 PM

it was a let down for be because I live in a wooded area and didn't have a suitable horizon. Sour grapes certainly, but I do not feel so bad that I missed this one since it was not a "grand" comet like Hale Bopp(the best I have seen.) I am hopeful for ISON though.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

#5785070 - 04/07/13 11:48 PM

Hyakutake was stunning. Aquamarine color and a tail stretching 90 (?) degrees. No warning = no hype, just performance.

Gary Z

Reged: 01/26/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5786863 - 04/08/13 09:07 PM

Thank you JF for your post. Folks, people like us get into astronomy at all ages. Some when they are young and decades later, see it all so to speak. Others, like myself who moved around alot and waited to finally settle down got into it. This was my first real comet. Didn't know what to expect out of it until finally seeing it. The fact that it was bright enough to see with the naked eye...even with my eyes, was a treat. It probably wasn't the more spectacular event to see in the sky, but most of us haven't seen that much any way. It's great we have the internet and NSN and all, but my bragging list is much smaller, and for a few days in March, the evenings were pretty cool. Clear Skies,

Gary

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: Gary Z]
      #5786892 - 04/08/13 09:18 PM

It wasn't a show-stopper, for sure.
But put me in the "any comet is better than no comet" camp. It was nice for a couple of evenings.

+1 on Hyakutake. Bring on another cosmic searchlight like that! It showed up during the time I moved from the city to a small rural town far from the light dome - a good omen for me!

Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
      #5787110 - 04/08/13 10:59 PM

My friend, Murray, is new to the hobby. His wife asked me to pick out a scope for him for his 65th birthday party which ended up being a 6" f/8 Skywatcher Dob (she paid, not me....). We collimated it in his living room and ventured out to a nearby park for first light. I aligned the finder on Jupiter and then found Panstarrs, centered it and called him over. His first light view was Panstarrs at 50x and he went over the top! I could not drag him away for the next five minutes. He just kept exclaiming.

Disappointing? He will NEVER forget that first view.

Dave

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: Cotts]
      #5787838 - 04/09/13 11:13 AM

Quote:

I love every comet I have ever seen, even the faint telescopic ones

Quote:

All comets are unique and I appreciate the opportunity to view them as they don't come around every day.

+100

Thats my philosophy on comets too - why else in a cloud bound country like the UK did I cover 1500 miles to get regular evening and morning views - requiring 160 mile round trips to get the right western and eastern dark horizons on opposing coasts of the UK. Totally enjoyable experience doing detailed weather forecast interpretation, planing new viewing sites from contour and LP maps, finding and viewing the comet and attempting to image it. Whole thing was an adventure for me and is was no issue whether it "under performed" or not (I personally think it did exactly what the informed predicted). It did look very good in binnoculars

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5788120 - 04/09/13 01:35 PM

Quote:

Hyakutake was stunning. Aquamarine color and a tail stretching 90 (?) degrees. No warning = no hype, just performance.

Comet Hyakutake was my favorite comet too.

Dave Mitsky

BillFerris
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/17/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5789006 - 04/09/13 07:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Comet Hyakutake was my favorite comet too.

Dave Mitsky

Hyakutake was a great public event comet. With plenty of advance notice that this one was gonna rock, Madison Astronomical Society scheduled three public viewings, two in town and a second at a county park. All three were promoted by the local news media. One of the city events was clouded out but the other two viewings were well-attended. The event at the county park was extremely successful...the line of cars pulling into the parking lot was like a scene out of "Field of Dreams."

Bill in Flag

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: BillFerris]
      #5789037 - 04/09/13 08:08 PM

IIRC (and I'm pretty sure I do) Hyakutake was spectacular but only in a dark sky and only for a few days. A few months later, Hale-Bopp was bright enough to be very easily visible even in polluted skies & hung around for many months - but never reached the same size as Hyakutake.

The difference between a small, active comet approaching quite close to the earth (Hyakutake) and a huge, active comet whose orbit kept it a long way away (Hale-Bopp which I don't think ever got closer to Earth than the Sun is).

Panstarrs? Sorry but small, distant and only moderately active. Nice sight in small scope or binoculars but nothing special. Ison might be better, let's hope it doesn't fizzle as many sungrazers do.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: brianb11213]
      #5789147 - 04/09/13 09:11 PM

I am holding out for Ison. Hyakutake was sheer spectacle - grand, sprawling, detailed and the plaque sheen of the pseudo nucleus was like a silver bullet buried in a wooly coma. It was an astonishing object.

My second fav I never saw but the pics make me envious of those who did is COMET IKEYA-SEKI. Second faV that I DID see was Hale Bopp. The concentric blowing off the nucleus were unexpected and captivating.

I used to follow faint telescopic comets but I don't anymore and do I long for a classic brilliant dramatic tail unfurling comet.

Pete

BillFerris
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/17/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: brianb11213]
      #5789376 - 04/09/13 11:39 PM

My fist telescopic observation and sketch of Hyakutake was made March 14, 1996. Two days later, I noted it as a naked eye object with a degree-and-a-half long tail. On March 22, the comet was an obvious naked eye object in Bootes and a brilliant binocular target. The best view I enjoyed was on March 27, 1996 when comet Hyakutake was very near Polaris with a tail extending through the bowl of the Big Dipper into Coma Berenices and beyond.

Hale-Bopp was spectacular in its own way. While Hyakutake was all elegance and grace, Hale-Bopp dominated the night sky. It was visible in moderate aperture more than 18 months before reaching perihelion. For several months in early 1997, Hale-Bopp was an ever-present companion. It was so impressive as to inspire me to dabble in prime focus imaging through my old 10-inch Starfinder. I recall going to Albertson's for a loaf of bread and some eggs, walking through the parking lot back to my car, and glancing casually up to see Hale-Bopp silently blazing away. It was just always there and seeing it night after night became rather mundane.

Oh well, comet ISON may put on a spectacular show...or maybe she won't. Eventually, another brilliant comet will grace the northern night sky and a new generation of comet observers will be inspired.

Bill in Flag

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
      #5789400 - 04/10/13 12:04 AM

I expected nothing, got nothing, so I'm not disappointed. It's safer that way.

TxStars
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/01/05

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: Kraus]
      #5789430 - 04/10/13 12:39 AM

Panstarrs was a nice preview of how high up ISON will be when it's brightest. (Sunset/rise)
My top comets are:
1)West
2)Hale-Bopp
3)Hyaukutake
4)NEAT

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: Tonk]
      #5794791 - 04/12/13 03:53 PM

Comet PANSTARRS is considered a non-periodic comet. It probably took millions of years to come from the great Oort comet cloud surrounding our solar system.

http://www.solarviews.com/eng/oort.htm

Once it rounds the sun, experts say, its orbit will shorten to only 110,000 years. It is, for sure, a once-in-a-lifetime comet.

All I have to do is see that, and that alone makes Comet PannStarr so completely overwhelming, its mind boggling. Knowing we are so far away, and something has come close enough for us to actually witness, how can anyone not be overwhelmingly impressed.
In 1986, in my early 20's, I watched Haley's comet from the time it was a tiny fuzz of light in my 80mm Vixen Refractor on my balcony with my wife in our first apartment. Everyone I knew was so impressed I was able to find it and see it, 6 months before it made its closest approach. This was the comet everyone talked about when we were growing up, how cool was that to see it.
When it finally came around close, it was very dim but large, and I remember finding abandoned roads to go observe it early in the morning. Some said it was a "dud" but I'm still impressed by it.

I guess it just depends on how you perceive the things around you. Life itself is amazing, astronomy is amazing. No one will probably ever see PannStarr again, but in our short time here on Earth, we all got to see it.

How can people not be impressed with seeing and knowing what we were able to witness. Everything in the universe is unique and special, and for as long as I can, I'm gonna enjoy every bit of it!!

Ralph in Sacramento
Founder of the Sacramento Valleys Active Astronomers group of Veteran Astronomers.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

#5795211 - 04/12/13 06:56 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Quote:

My fist telescopic observation and sketch of Hyakutake was made March 14, 1996. Two days later, I noted it as a naked eye object with a degree-and-a-half long tail. On March 22, the comet was an obvious naked eye object in Bootes and a brilliant binocular target. The best view I enjoyed was on March 27, 1996 when comet Hyakutake was very near Polaris with a tail extending through the bowl of the Big Dipper into Coma Berenices and beyond.

Hale-Bopp was spectacular in its own way. While Hyakutake was all elegance and grace, Hale-Bopp dominated the night sky. It was visible in moderate aperture more than 18 months before reaching perihelion. For several months in early 1997, Hale-Bopp was an ever-present companion. It was so impressive as to inspire me to dabble in prime focus imaging through my old 10-inch Starfinder. I recall going to Albertson's for a loaf of bread and some eggs, walking through the parking lot back to my car, and glancing casually up to see Hale-Bopp silently blazing away. It was just always there and seeing it night after night became rather mundane.

I was able to observe Comet Hale-Bopp for an incredibly long span of time, seeing it for the last time from the Caribbean in February of 1998. I had many great views of the comet through a variety of instruments and got some fairly good photos of it, as well.

Dave Mitsky

Comet Hale-Bopp
prime focus through a 5" f/5 achromatic refractor
one-minute exposure on Kodak Royal Gold 1000 film
ASH Naylor Observatory
March 9, 1997

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

#5795320 - 04/12/13 08:17 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

I took this tripod-mounted picture of Comet Hale-Bopp over a friend's observatory dome in April of 1997 with a Pentax K1000 SLR camera, a Pentax 50mm lens, and Kodak Royal Gold 1000 film. The exposure time was approximately 30 seconds. Dr. Alan Hale was kind enough to autograph this print for me at the 40th anniversary Lehigh Valley Amateur Astronomical Society banquet later that year

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

#5795325 - 04/12/13 08:21 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Here's another 30-second exposure that I shot that same month at Little Buffalo State Park, which is located in Perry County, Pennsylvania. The equipment used was a Pentax K1000 SLR camera and a Pentax 50mm lens and the film was Kodak Royal Gold 1000.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

#5795333 - 04/12/13 08:28 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

This eyepiece projection shot was taken using the Astronomical Society of Harrisburg's 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain and a Pentax K1000 SLR camera. Comet Hale-Bopp O1's pseudonucleus and unique parabolic hoods are clearly visible.

idp
sage

Reged: 08/21/09

Loc: New Haven, CT
      #5798171 - 04/14/13 11:52 AM

Not much impressed having observed Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp back in the days; anyway, while I was out to look for Panstarrs I got the glorious vision of the great meteor that crossed New England skies a few weeks ago.

It was so kind as to stretch right across the western horizon, which I was scanning for the comet and it was about 14,000 times more spectacular. But hey, I would have missed it if not for Panstarrs!

Ivano

leonard
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/19/07

Loc: West Virginia
      #5798293 - 04/14/13 01:16 PM

Hello ,

The pic's are very nice , I like this one ( over the observatory dome ) a lot .
The 1990's were very good for comet lovers .

Edited by leonard (04/14/13 01:19 PM)

Dan Finnerty
sage

Reged: 09/11/11

Loc: Pasadena, CA
      #5798818 - 04/14/13 04:45 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

Quote:

Its been a while since a decent comet has come along a d that might be part of this, but on every account this comet is so... blah. I can't motivate myself to bother looking for it as its such a drab specimen. So yes Ive panned Panstarrs.

Pete

It was plenty interesting enough for me. I considered it a practice run for ISON and Siding Spring

Tonk
Postmaster

Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: Dan Finnerty]
      #5799882 - 04/15/13 04:51 AM

Quote:

Pete

I guess you only panned it because it was below the unrealistic expectations you set for it

The moderate comet C/2012 K5 LINEAR got plenty of interest on this forum back in Jan and didn't get panned or diss'ed because no unrealistic expectation were set. Its was an interesting comet too as it moved across the sky at a high rate.

How about seeing Pan-STARRS as a distinct step up from C/2012 K5 (the brightest preceding comet in N Hem - Lemmon for you southeners) and not by comparing it to centuary class comets from the last millenium as it was never in a month of Sundays going to compete!

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
      #5799918 - 04/15/13 06:27 AM

All I know is I'll take any comet I can get.

Rich (RLTYS)

Isdaako

Reged: 03/24/13

Loc: Devils Tower, Wyoming
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5805667 - 04/17/13 10:14 PM

Clouds prevented my observation of Panstarrs. Like many others I look at any comet as a gift.

Thanks for the posting the great photos.

David Knisely
Postmaster

#5805785 - 04/17/13 10:54 PM

Tonk posted:

Quote:

How about seeing Pan-STARRS as a distinct step up from C/2012 K5 (the brightest preceding comet in N Hem - Lemmon for you southeners) and not by comparing it to centuary class comets from the last millenium as it was never in a month of Sundays going to compete!

The first comet I ever saw was the periodic comet Giacobini-Zinner way back in the summer of 1972. I picked it up by accident while viewing M33 during the testing out my newly-built 8 inch f/7 Newtonian, and on subsequent apparitions, I often just go after it for old time's sake. It was just a puff of light, but at times, it would display a bit of a conical "shuttlecock" shape with a hint of tail. Still, it was a good introduction to what most comets look like. After Kohoutek in 1973-74 (which, as I mentioned was *far* better than Panstarrs), my next comet was the naked-eye (barely) comet Kobyashi-Berger-Milon in the summer of 1975. While it was fainter (around mag. 4.5 or so), it was much better placed for viewing, high in the dark summer sky. You could see at least a degree of tail to that one, and at times, multiple streamers were visible in it. After that came the spectacular appearance of Comet West which totally made up for the problems with Kohoutek's performance. After West, there was a serious drouth of good comets, although a few did just reach naked-eye visibility and were nice in binoculars or a telescope. Beyond that, we had to wait for the spectacular pair of Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp. I would have to rate Panstarrs as an "above average" comet, but not one to really get excited about. Clear skies to you.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5805845 - 04/17/13 11:21 PM

Do they really have to filter that word HERE???

Pete

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
      #5805891 - 04/17/13 11:41 PM

given the context it is a bit humorous

David Knisely
Postmaster

#5805959 - 04/18/13 12:40 AM

Quote:

Do they really have to filter that word HERE???

Pete

I changed the term to one word, so we'll see how that goes. There is a crater on the moon that is spelled "H E L L", but if you link the letters to spell that name properly, the "CN Nanny" gets you and bleeps it out too. Ah, the silliness of it. The earlier word that the CN Nanny got irritated about is an actual non-indecent word describing a male rooster (gee, shuttle-male-rooster??) and the last act of preparing a single-action handgun for firing, so I guess the context doesn't seem to matter much. In any case, comets when still telescopic sometimes look like the conical device used when playing Badminton. I noted Hale-Bopp was that way for the longest time even when it started to become visible to the unaided eye, but once it started growing a tail, that effect sort of faded away. Clear skies to you.

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5806129 - 04/18/13 06:37 AM

Just came in from observing Panstarrs with my 10" refl. I can understand why one would not be inspired by this comet. I was able to observe a fairly bright coma with a very almost starlike pseudo nucleus but the tail was extremely faint, seen only with averted vision and "tapping" the scope. But to be fair, this observation was done with Panstarrs being low in the northeastern, light polluted sky with nearby street lights. Was hopeing for a brighter looking comet.

Rich (RLTYS)

coldfielder

Reged: 08/07/09

Loc: Bruges Belgium
Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5808201 - 04/19/13 06:47 AM

come on guys, also last evening I saw a stunning comet I didn't notice for years in the telescope, even at my estimated mag. 7 now, the tail still is marvelous, long triangle shaped and stripes noticed...

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Am I the only one not inspired by Panstarrs? new [Re: coldfielder]
      #5809862 - 04/19/13 11:57 PM

Stunning? At 7 its just "nice". But its perception and tastes afterall. Hale Bopp is stunning, Hyakutake was stunning this is kinda ...

Well its what one makes of it. There's nothing intrinsically bad - just hoped for more if only because its been too long.

Pete

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

#5810188 - 04/20/13 07:47 AM

Quote:

Stunning? At 7 its just "nice". But its perception and tastes afterall. Hale Bopp is stunning, Hyakutake was stunning this is kinda ...

Well its what one makes of it. There's nothing intrinsically bad - just hoped for more if only because its been too long.

Pete

Pete, in PanSTARRS' case the most accurate descriptive word I'd use is "pathetic", at least for anyone who has viewed any naked eye comet of significance in the past.

NYW&B

Edited by BrooksObs (04/20/13 07:50 AM)

Tonk
Postmaster

#5811145 - 04/20/13 03:19 PM

Quote:

accurate descriptive word I'd use is "pathetic",

Ok that makes 99.9% of all comets pathetic - might as well give up chasing the b****rs down

NO! no comet is pathetic to me - they are all interesting to observe - and compared to the batch we've had over the last few years this ones darned good.

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
      #5811368 - 04/20/13 04:49 PM

I enjoyed Panstarrs. I enjoy hunting down fainter comets as well. Some are certainly better than others and some are stunning, but none are boring to me.

I really enjoyed observing Gerrard when it passed M71 and the Coathanger a few days after that. Seeing those pairings in the same low power field of a 5" newt from a dark sky was beautiful.

Panstarrs between the horizon and the moon on March 13th was very nice in binoculars IMO. Certainly not a showstopper, but a great start to the evenings observations.

Hey, I had a lot of fun chasing Linear and McNaught too. But then I also like burnt toast.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

#5811971 - 04/20/13 10:28 PM

I'd have to say it was the most golden yellow that I remember.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2430

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics