Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Space Rocks

Pages: 1
jmills224

Reged: 05/26/10

Loc: North-Central Oklahoma
Possible Meteorite ID Help new
      #5773084 - 04/02/13 02:42 PM

Hello,

A friend of mine's brother has found two possible meteorites. I don't know much about the subject so thought I would post some pictures for the experts here.

Magnets do stick to both objects but they aren't magnetic. They are very heavy for their size. About the only problem I see with them is that they don't have any surface features that appear to be burnt or melted to me.

Here are the pictures:

Are there any places in Oklahoma that would be able to authenticate these specimens? Do you guys have any opinions on what these may be if they are not meteorites?

Thank You

~J

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Glassthrower
Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

Reged: 04/07/05

Loc: Oort Cloud 9
Re: Possible Meteorite ID Help new [Re: jmills224]
      #5773141 - 04/02/13 03:26 PM

It's always impossible to make a definitive judgement from a photo, but I have seen a lot of photos like these. My guess, if I was a gambling man, is that these are terrestrial. However, it never hurts to have them checked out. First, take your toliet tank lid off, turn it over, and do a streak test with the specimen on the unglazed porcelain surface. If you see a black or red streak, it's not a meteorite.

I don't know of any specific places in Oklahoma, but you might try a university that has a planetary sciences department. I'm not personally familiar with any dealers in Oklahoma, but I can ask around.

Best regards,

MikeG

jmills224

Re: Possible Meteorite ID Help new [Re: Glassthrower]
      #5773169 - 04/02/13 03:37 PM

Thank you Mike. I have let him know about the streak test. I'll report back after the test. I will contact our local university. They do have a planetary science department.

Thanks again.

~J

jmills224

#5773753 - 04/02/13 07:17 PM

He performed the streak test and it left light grey streaks. Looks like these are not meteorites. We are still going to cut one in half just to take a look.

~J

oblako

Reged: 07/01/12

#5776803 - 04/03/13 11:47 PM

Quote:

He performed the streak test and it left light grey streaks. Looks like these are not meteorites. We are still going to cut one in half just to take a look.

~J

Do not trust these streaks tests. I tried it with real meteorites, and the weathered ones produce a positive result.

Glassthrower
Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

Reged: 04/07/05

Loc: Oort Cloud 9
Re: Possible Meteorite ID Help new [Re: oblako]
      #5778817 - 04/04/13 11:49 PM

It helps to clean the surface of a specimen before streak testing it. I should have mentioned that. An outer layer of crud, caliche, desert varnish or other weathering products could produce a misleading result. If you grind off a window, you can visually inspect the interior and streak test the exposed area.

jmills224

Re: Possible Meteorite ID Help [Re: Glassthrower]
      #5786759 - 04/08/13 08:16 PM

I want to thank both of you guys again. I had an opportunity to lay eyes and hands on the two rocks. I think it's pretty obvious they are magnetite. There was no indication of a fusion crust and they contained cavities with some crystals around the edges. We filed an area and streak tested that area. It left a faint streak. I'm almost certain these are not meteorites.

He still wants to have them analyzed anyways. I think that is a good idea and he has located a person at our local university's geology department that will take a look.

Thank you

~J

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 763

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics