Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: ahopp]
      #5798597 - 04/14/13 03:25 PM

Quote:

Lorence, You statement that Meade will not help a customer do a field repair is not really accurate. Meade helped me adjust the mirror lock on my 14". It required taking the mirror lock knob off and adjust the position of the housing. Do not want to get mixed up in the rest of this thread, just wanted to clear the record on one point you made...

Tony

Thank you for pointing that out. That was an error on my part. I want to point out a problem that exists. I have no desire to make things appear worse than they are. I simply forgot to take into account things can be repaired without needing replacement parts and I apologize to Meade and any one else who may have take offense to that part of my post.

Lorence

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: ur7x]
      #5798993 - 04/14/13 05:49 PM

Quote:

Mike, I appreciate your effort here, but lets be realistic, we know that Senior Meade Staff regularly read these threads. (We know this since they post here from time to time) Your letter will tell them nothing that they don't already know. If Meade was going to change their customer service polices and resolve the engineering issues with the LX80, they would have done so by now.

Really think so? I think they've been too busy saving their butt redesigning the LX800 to care about us pions who were early purchasers, especially if we paid $799 for the mount.

A redesign of the gears would satisfy me if my mount would be upgradable. If there was a slight cost involved I could live with that, too. Second party suppliers have been hypertuning other mounts for years but I don't know if Meade sold enough of them to make that undertaking profitable. Meade should do it. If the sales of the LX80 have slowed because of all the negatives and Meade hasn't sold too many it'd be great PR and a boon to future sales to redesign the gears and get the firmware right. I could live with not mounting more than 20lbs. for photography.

Hear that Meade? You listening? Can you hear me now?

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: ur7x]
      #5799031 - 04/14/13 06:12 PM

Lorence,

To be honest the last thing I want to do on my telescope is replace the board myself. And just for reference, I develop avionics and software for comercial aviation and satellites and systems that fly in space. After plinking down my hard earned money (and lots of it) the last thing I want to do is tinker with electronics at home.

Now I do understand there are those in this hobby who love to tinker with the guts of their telescope, and that is perfectly fine. I am not one of them. Judging from the guy's situation with the Paramount I find the customer service 100% unacceptable.

Now in the case of Meade I have seen variability regarding shipping of parts vs. shipping the entire telescope. They certainly do not have a heavy parts inventory and that is highly understandable due to cost, equipment age and warranty issues. If a product is under warranty, unless it is something minor and easy, it is far easier for Meade to just have the customer ship the entire product and cover the shipping. items under warranty being extensively serviced by customers is a recipe for disaster. Almost all major companies do not allow it.

Anyways, back to the LX80 near as I can tell from all the reading on the boards and some inferring:
-- The concept of the LX80 is 110% wonderful!
-- It does not 100% meet the specs
-- Those who do not push the limits are very happy with it.
-- Some tinkerers are happy with it.
-- Those pushing the specs on it are very unhappy with it.
-- Meade is likely seeing all these posts
-- Meade is likely stomping on the subcontractor for some of the *BLEEP* manufacturing issues and the designer for some design flaws and themselves for not vetting this out a tad better and being realistic on its capabilities.
-- Instead of doing the LX800->LX850 route they are likely very quietly improving/fixing the LX80 with new revs.
-- Whoever can aftermarket the gears will make some dough.

I have an LX850 coming in very soon. I wonder though if I will also get the LX80 for more portable moments. For example I have a full up beast 10" LX200 with super wedge, but also have an ETX125. (Both have worked fine for many years, fyi). Yes, the LX850 can take smaller OTAs, but I still like the concept of the LX80.

Who knows.

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5799218 - 04/14/13 07:41 PM

Quote:

Lorence, To be honest the last thing I want to do on my telescope is replace the board myself. And just for reference, I develop avionics and software for comercial aviation and satellites and systems that fly in space. After plinking down my hard earned money (and lots of it) the last thing I want to do is tinker with electronics at home.

The readers of this forum all owe you a debt of gratitude. You have demonstrated the only way to shut me up.

You responded to the subject of replacement parts with your opinion about replacement parts. That seldom happens in these discussions.

Quote:

Judging from the guy's situation with the Paramount I find the customer service 100% unacceptable.

Now in the case of Meade I have seen variability regarding shipping of parts vs. shipping the entire telescope. They certainly do not have a heavy parts inventory and that is highly understandable due to cost, equipment age and warranty issues. If a product is under warranty, unless it is something minor and easy, it is far easier for Meade to just have the customer ship the entire product and cover the shipping. items under warranty being extensively serviced by customers is a recipe for disaster. Almost all major companies do not allow it.

Paramount is 100% wrong. Warranty is warranty. Send it back for repair at Paramount's (or Meade's) expense. However, it is also totally acceptable for the customer to do the repair himself, if he want's to do it. I hope this is an issue caused by by some less than competent weekend staff and when everyone shows up on Monday morning the problem will be resolved.

Quote:

-- Whoever can aftermarket the gears will make some dough.

The original LX200 GPS mounts used plastic spur gears. Peterson Engineering made replacement metal gears that were later adopted by Meade. Those who fail to learn from their mistakes are destined to repeat them.

jimb1001
sage

Reged: 11/14/09

Loc: Florida
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: Lorence]
      #5799220 - 04/14/13 07:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am not a Meade basher, just an unsatisfied customer that believes that if enough people make enough noise Meade will do what is necessary. In the long run everyone except for Meade's competitors will benefit.

That was a comment I made a few posts back. Are those the words of a Meade hater? Seem to me those are the words of someone who is concerned about Meade, it's problems and it's customers.

Quote:

I'm sure you think you have a good reason for your hatred of Meade. I don't care what it is.

But you seem to think you're the only one entitled to express an opinion. Get over yourself.

Perhaps you should read the post above by the poor guy with the $9,000 Paramount that doesn't work and what he's going through.

Sounds like the company selling the $900 mount is providing better service than the one with the $9,000 mount.

Thank you for your choice of an example of the sort of problems people are having.

You have just made it perfectly clear that you have no idea why some of us are unhappy with Meade.

That poor guy that you so are so willing to throw your support to is upset because Bisque wants him to fix his mount by himself.

That is exactly what Meade will not do. Do your best to understand what I just said. Meade will not lift a finger to help someone repair his own mount.

I had a faulty Main board in my LX200. I would gladly have paid Meade $300.00 for a replacement board. Meade refuses to sell anyone replacement parts. My only choice was to ship the entire telescope back and they would fix it for $400.00 plus parts plus shipping.

I eventually bought a used part. It took me less than an hour to fix the telescope and put it back on the mount. Had Meade sold me that part this conversation would not be happening.

As long as Meade refuses to sell parts these conversations will keep happening. Whether you like it or not.

By the way take another look at the Bisque thread. Tell us all how many Paramount owner jumped into the thread with a comment like

"I love my Paramount and have never a problem with it. Why do you Paramount haters keep posting here. I don't care what your problems are."

Why do Meade owners do that?

I have a problem with Meade that was created by Meade. I will continue to express my opinion and I'll do it every time someone like you tries to protect Meade's image. I will at least give you the credit for reporting a positive repair experience. Most simply respond with nothing more than blind faith.

As for who seems to think they are the only ones entitled to express an opinion it might be a good idea for you to reread your own posts.

I will get over myself when Meade changes it's policy.

By the way, just who has been telling who to shut up? Is it possible my comments struck a nerve. I guess it's true, the truth hurts the most.

OK, now I understand why you hate Meade. You bought one of their products and they wouldn't sell you a part to fix it.

I guess you didn't know that when you bought it. Meade let you think you could buy any part of their product whenever you wanted it.

That's certainly a good reason for repeatedly posting you would never buy from them, again. Of course, it would simply be repetitive explaining in each post why their customer service is awful.

Let me explain something about this hobby that may be useful to you and others. New products from Meade and Celestron often have teething issues and they don't make it easy to buy parts to build your scopes and mounts.

I completely agree that you should never buy from Meade because of their spare parts retailing policy.

I'm glad you cleared up your reasoning for me.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: jimb1001]
      #5799561 - 04/14/13 10:20 PM

How about a lowly tripod spreader. I lost the spreader for my 884 and they said sorry buy another tripod. I use the one off my CGEM for the 884 tripod.

The cheapest tools I buy in my trade come with a parts list. I may find it cheaper and easier to replace them but I can buy the parts. I still don't know why the astro biz is so different.

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: Stew57]
      #5799677 - 04/14/13 11:55 PM

Ah, so how's the letter comin' along, Mike?

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: JimMo]
      #5800250 - 04/15/13 11:09 AM

Quote:

Second party suppliers have been hypertuning other mounts for years but I don't know if Meade sold enough of them to make that undertaking profitable.

If I thought there was anything that I could do with this mount I would be all over it. It's not the numbers, it's the possibility of improvement.

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: EFT]
      #5800384 - 04/15/13 12:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Second party suppliers have been hypertuning other mounts for years but I don't know if Meade sold enough of them to make that undertaking profitable.

If I thought there was anything that I could do with this mount I would be all over it. It's not the numbers, it's the possibility of improvement.

Hi Ed,

That's too bad. Do you have any idea how many LX80 mounts are out there? Although my mount does what I want in alt/az I am very disappointed I won't be trying any astro photography with it. I guess Meade's been screwing the little guy for years with their dept. store telescopes, I just feel plunking down your money for something that doesn't work is not very beneficial to future business. Unless something remarkable happens I'll never consider a Meade purchase again.

bilgebayModerator
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: JimMo]
      #5800404 - 04/15/13 12:18 PM

Gentlemen, this thread has gone off the track and turned into vendor bashing. We are locking it for the time being.

When we unlock, please keep your discussions limited to the subject line.

Thank you for your understanding.

Mounts forum moderator

Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5801785 - 04/15/13 11:39 PM

Regarding a letter to Meade, staying on topic. I have had several Meade instruments over the last 18 years, not the best, not the worst, and on the two occasions I needed some help, they were highly satisfactory and helpful. But there seems to be an assumption that Meade are a group of cave dwellers with not a whit of idea about the real world performance of their product, nor their reputation. Shortly after the product is out in the world, they are aware. And they choose to continue in their processes. Occasionally the result has a catastrophic effect on the bottom line, but generally it becomes a bit ahead of break even.

If it helps the psyche to vent alone, or in a group, go right ahead but they know and accept the environment. And now and again, totally misjudge reality of the product's performance potential. They certainly are not unaware of the performance of their product after its release, nor are they unaware of the reputation and opinion. It's a business model that is walking a tightrope and has the enterprise on the brink.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: Skylook123]
      #5801825 - 04/16/13 12:21 AM

Quote:

If it helps the psyche to vent alone, or in a group, go right ahead...

Jim,

Thanks for that!

Mike

Edited by Mkofski (04/16/13 12:22 AM)

rockman67

Reged: 05/14/09

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5802457 - 04/16/13 12:16 PM

Thank you for the very informational post...

I have been looking to upgrade my mount for the past few months.

I have seen the LX80 advertise and looking forward forward to own a LX80 for the capabilities for the price range. But now looking at the issues posted in different forums then I will stay away from the LX80 and shop somewhere else.

I was thinking of putting my C8 on the LX80 and my guiding scope and DSLR camera but due to the review on the weight/gear issue I better not.

I do own few Meade products and I've been very happy with them... but I just don't want to spend the money and get a lemon... I'll rather wait.

Thank you

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: rockman67]
      #5802492 - 04/16/13 12:30 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the very informational post...

I have been looking to upgrade my mount for the past few months.

I have seen the LX80 advertise and looking forward forward to own a LX80 for the capabilities for the price range. But now looking at the issues posted in different forums then I will stay away from the LX80 and shop somewhere else.

I was thinking of putting my C8 on the LX80 and my guiding scope and DSLR camera but due to the review on the weight/gear issue I better not.

I do own few Meade products and I've been very happy with them... but I just don't want to spend the money and get a lemon... I'll rather wait.

Thank you

Rockman67,

I have used a C8 with a finder and 80mm refractor in Polar mode and not had problems with the mount. Have not had time to try out AP with that setup yet. I hope to give it a try with the newest firmware soon.

Mike

highertheflyer
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/08/05

Loc: Ft. Worth, Texas
      #5804679 - 04/17/13 02:36 PM

I am reluctant to read the previous posts, yet I received a ETX80 Lemon but worry of Meades survival.
I purchased the LX80 mount for Xmas Eve, arriving on Dec 17, 2012.
Opened on Xmas day Dec 25th, 2012.
Since then, this LX80 has never-to-ever venture outside in temp/dewpoint elements, Ever.
Feb, it failed and yes, after the 30 day return policy!
Returned to Meade for repair, to Mexico in March.
April came to me as renewed, a mount to me repaired.
The second time the LX80 was given it's 12 volt battery power, it failed!!!!
This time a gear motor became unloosed and an axis motor ran wildly.
Meade said to return the repaired defect.
I sent the total package: The Meade LX80 and it's tripod, Two boxes, the following day.
Meade received two packages for the total purchased assemblies with the original December 17th order.
And now Meade says that the "New Scope" will take 2 to 3 months to send !!!
I do hurt for Meade.
I purchased the mount to use at star parties and the star parties and money I sent to them is in limbo.
Had a friend say to me that Meade needs to go to China to fix this problem.
So tell me Meade that you will send to me a workable LX80, or tell me to go to China now!?
And simply tell me it's a thousand dollars down the drain?
Again, my hopes for Meades future is
my joy,
Jim

highertheflyer
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/08/05

Loc: Ft. Worth, Texas
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: highertheflyer]
      #5805422 - 04/17/13 08:36 PM

As I've newly posted my troubles with Meade, and towards this thread, I've found Meade to have been hopefully very reliable and available.
Meade is alert towards telephone calls for discussions with just two or three rings!
This I like.
My thoughts are that Meade is ready to receive and to rectify the troubles given to them in the past.
And for this I stay with them..!!!
I've had the 1990's with an ETX 60 and wish to stay with them today,
And as an old USA airline pilot, I constantly tell Meade to hang in there for our USA sake, be it from Mexico or our nation.
I applaud them for their efforts and an old airline pilot free from the strife of a bankrupt airline,I hope for Meades remedy and there success today.
Please no slings and arrows.
Jim

Ky_Kat_Eyes

Reged: 10/23/12

#5808242 - 04/19/13 07:36 AM

You can put me into catagory#3. I own a 10" Schdmit Newtonian LXD75 OTA.....I had looked at this mount for almost a yr, but decided to go with a Celestron CG-5 Advanced, mainly because of all the horror stories I have heard about this mount, the price seemed Ok, and all would have matched up brand-wise, but being a Celestron Fan I chose the mount I have now....and glad I did. If I can figure out how to pm you here, will gladly send my email addy, you can add me to the list as well.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: Ky_Kat_Eyes]
      #5808620 - 04/19/13 12:55 PM

After 11 days I have 18 responses. I'm going to wait another week and send in whatever I have. For those that contacted me to participate, I'll send out what I have to you first so you can edit your comments if necessary.

Mike

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

#5808789 - 04/19/13 02:22 PM

Thanks for doing this Mike. No matter what Meade's response is I appreciate your work here. If they ever really fix the mount (LX85?) it would be nice if there could be some way to give an upgrade us duped LX80 buyers. Meade could either ignore us and probably lose any future business from us or they could try to make our bad situation a little better, their choice.

kdill2160
journeyman

Reged: 04/02/13

Loc: McHenry County IL
      #5811521 - 04/20/13 06:43 PM

I looked at the lx80, I've been a Meade'only owner since the 80s and my 2045, I read as many reviews as possible, decided against it due to bad reviews, bending, breaking parts etc...

In the end I'm no longer a Meade only owner and have a new mount...

JMO... Ken

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7162

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics