Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: kdill2160]
      #5811628 - 04/20/13 07:39 PM

Thanks Ken! I've got 19 individuals for the letter to Meade now.

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Daud
sage

Reged: 08/05/06

Loc: AZ, Scottsdale
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5813789 - 04/21/13 06:39 PM

Quote:

Mike

There is a convert #20:
wild slewing

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/08/04

Loc: New York City
Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5813827 - 04/21/13 06:52 PM

Quote:

A quick note to the original poster:
Your letter is one letter and will carry the weight of, at most, one letter. When you claim to also speak for others, the recipient is very likely to either (a) doubt that you do speak for others, or (b) decide that since the others didn't feel strongly enough to write for themselves they don't really care and can be discounted. Your message would have more credibility and greater effect if your individual experiences are described.

I am passionate about my LX200s. I love them. There, got that out of the way!

John is right on with this. Once you mention others, it just sounds like sour grapes. I don't have the patience to read this entire thread, so I'm sorry if you already settled on this, but why don't you (OP) just tell (ask) everyone to write individual letters?

Good luck, Chris

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: thesubwaypusher]
      #5813864 - 04/21/13 07:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A quick note to the original poster:
Your letter is one letter and will carry the weight of, at most, one letter. When you claim to also speak for others, the recipient is very likely to either (a) doubt that you do speak for others, or (b) decide that since the others didn't feel strongly enough to write for themselves they don't really care and can be discounted. Your message would have more credibility and greater effect if your individual experiences are described.

I am passionate about my LX200s. I love them. There, got that out of the way!

John is right on with this. Once you mention others, it just sounds like sour grapes. I don't have the patience to read this entire thread, so I'm sorry if you already settled on this, but why don't you (OP) just tell (ask) everyone to write individual letters?

Good luck, Chris

Thanks Chris. I don't think I agree with your opinion of a single letter from multiple individuals. I also don't expect a single letter or 20 individual letters to make any real difference. More a way to vent than anything. If it dose any good, all the better.

Mike (OP)

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: Daud]
      #5813869 - 04/21/13 07:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

There is a convert #20:
wild slewing

Thanks David. I'll PM him to see if h wants in.

Mike

ur7x
sage

Reged: 01/08/12

#5814130 - 04/21/13 09:39 PM

I hope you post a version of your letter (with all of the names removed perhaps) here for us all to see/learn from.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: ur7x]
      #5814183 - 04/21/13 09:51 PM

Late next week I'll get the preliminary letter out to all the individuals involved. After I get everyone's Ok, I'll send it to 2 different contact in Meade. I didn't think about posting it here, but that wouldn't be a problem with me.

R L Harris

Reged: 01/31/13

Loc: Tecumseh, OK
      #5814423 - 04/21/13 11:46 PM

Sounds great can't wait to read it!
If they have positive response to issues then
I will be leaning back to getting one with 10" sct!

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: R L Harris]
      #5814623 - 04/22/13 04:06 AM

I did something similar many years ago when the NS11GPS scopes had an altaz tracking problem. We sent an email, with multiple named people, to a Celestron VP.

We had a response within the week, with a fix and they provided everyone who asked with a free programming cable.

The CGEM people seem to have had a similar response to the dec cogging issue, and it looks as if a fix will be out fairly soon.

So it's worth doing and I wish you luck.

Chris

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5815362 - 04/22/13 02:09 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the info. It is good to hear that something like this has worked before. At worse, it can't hurt.

Mike

R L Harris

Reged: 01/31/13

Loc: Tecumseh, OK
      #5829721 - 04/29/13 09:15 AM

So whats up with the post going cold! LOL

ur7x
sage

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: R L Harris]
      #5829763 - 04/29/13 09:46 AM

Its not cold, we are just waiting to see the letter.

You know what it really interesting... Mike put out a post before he bough this mount trying to find 10 people who liked this mount and who were using it for AP... He never did get to 10... It was more like AP -> 0... Like the mount -> 6....

But put up a thread saying lets find 20 people frustrated by this mount and he had his quota in less than 2 weeks. That alone should be loud and clear to Meade that they need to change their business practices.

jimb1001
sage

Reged: 11/14/09

Loc: Florida
      #5830175 - 04/29/13 01:12 PM

Quote:

You know what it really interesting... Mike put out a post before he bough this mount trying to find 10 people who liked this mount and who were using it for AP... He never did get to 10... It was more like AP -> 0... Like the mount -> 6....

But put up a thread saying lets find 20 people frustrated by this mount and he had his quota in less than 2 weeks. That alone should be loud and clear to Meade that they need to change their business practices.

Is it news that unhappy people are always willing to share their complaints on the internet while satisfied customers generally don't say much?

If you want to bash Meade with statistics at least use ones that make sense.

ur7x
sage

Re: A letter to Meade about the LX80 new [Re: jimb1001]
      #5830336 - 04/29/13 02:15 PM

Not bashing Meade at all. The proposed letter is about trying to help Meade see that they need to rethink their business practices and the approach on this mount. Only Meade has the detailed statistics about mount failures and warranty returns and they aren't sharing. So speculating that this mount is the cats whiskers based on a lack of data is just as bad as chucking it under the bus with equally thin data.

But you have to admit that at a certain point it is easy to see a trend in what is going on. How many people discovered that this mount initially has serious tracking problems in EQ mode? All who tried. How many people have discovered that this mount struggles to work at even half the advertised weight capacity... All who tried. How many people have successfully used the mount to perform even basic AP. Based on the number of photos published, even by Meade themselves... Very few, if any. How many people have had the Tripod mound top snap off a leg? at least 4 that we know of... or in other words 4 too many.

Sure, we have only a couple of data points when it comes to this mount. But even Eratosthenes managed to figure out the diameter of the earth with only two data points.

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
      #5830602 - 04/29/13 04:00 PM

I remember that after the delays and about a month or so prior to beginning actual shipping a vendor held a special event, let's call it food related, and this mount was there. But they wouldn't power it up. Salesman for Meade (I felt sorry for him) talked up the mount for the video that was posted on the net.

I thought it was pretty clear what was going on but as a business and as a consumer decisions have to be made and you try to live with the results. "For better or for worse" come to mind.

jimb1001
sage

Reged: 11/14/09

Loc: Florida
      #5831168 - 04/29/13 09:41 PM

Quote:

Not bashing Meade at all. The proposed letter is about trying to help Meade see that they need to rethink their business practices and the approach on this mount. Only Meade has the detailed statistics about mount failures and warranty returns and they aren't sharing. So speculating that this mount is the cats whiskers based on a lack of data is just as bad as chucking it under the bus with equally thin data.

But you have to admit that at a certain point it is easy to see a trend in what is going on. How many people discovered that this mount initially has serious tracking problems in EQ mode? All who tried. How many people have discovered that this mount struggles to work at even half the advertised weight capacity... All who tried. How many people have successfully used the mount to perform even basic AP. Based on the number of photos published, even by Meade themselves... Very few, if any. How many people have had the Tripod mound top snap off a leg? at least 4 that we know of... or in other words 4 too many.

Sure, we have only a couple of data points when it comes to this mount. But even Eratosthenes managed to figure out the diameter of the earth with only two data points.

Maybe, but you're not him.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#5831349 - 04/29/13 11:30 PM

Well, tonight I was going to get PMs put to all the individuals that are going to be in the letter/email to Meade... but it is clear and not too cold so I think I'm going out and use the LX80 rather than talk about it! It has been a LONG time since I just enjoyed being out, I'm taking advantage of it.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#5831354 - 04/29/13 11:34 PM

Quote:

My search for 10 happy users was after I took delivery but while I was deciding if I should send it back or not. I think I only got 6 or 7 responses vs. 19 on the "I'm not a happy camper" list. But then again unhappy people are more apt to voice opinions than happy ones so this is about what I expected.

DuiA1

Reged: 05/07/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #5831370 - 04/29/13 11:46 PM

Enjoy the clear night Mike. They are few and far between. This hobby is frustrating at times when things don't work as they are supposed to...a clear night under the stars usually makes things right.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#5831413 - 04/30/13 12:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe, but you're not him.

I don't really think we need a statistically valid sample to see a problem with the tripod if 4 or 5 have failed in the same way. The tracking problems that have been reported worry me but it is the tripod reliability that is my biggest concern. That is something that could effect any user at anytime. If your tripod fails after the warranty period how much will the replacement cost?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
28 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7160

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics