Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Orion AZ-EQ6 Owners: Wobble In RA Axis new [Re: 10gauge]
      #5791451 - 04/10/13 10:22 PM

Quote:

Thanks a million everyone! I followed the instructions on Astro Baby. 1/4 turn is all it took and the RA axis is now rock solid. I checked it 360 degrees to be sure and there is no wobble. This one's a keeper guyzos!

Ed, I unpacked the T-Rex and just assembled it. I am going to use it with the AZ EQ-6 Tripod.

Questions:
1. I can't figure out how to attached the EQ-6 pier extension, the screw engages the T-Rex by only 1/8". That's not enough. Photo below. Any recommendations?
2. How is the best way to attach the quick slew handle.
3. Should I be removing the screwed pin on the tripod?

Here are the photos from this evening:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94098724@N03/?saved=1

George,

I answered you off-line.

Ed.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCMP

Reged: 07/12/11

Loc: Chardon OH
      #5791483 - 04/10/13 10:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks a million everyone! I followed the instructions on Astro Baby. 1/4 turn is all it took and the RA axis is now rock solid. I checked it 360 degrees to be sure and there is no wobble. This one's a keeper guyzos!

Ed, I unpacked the T-Rex and just assembled it. I am going to use it with the AZ EQ-6 Tripod.

Questions:
1. I can't figure out how to attached the EQ-6 pier extension, the screw engages the T-Rex by only 1/8". That's not enough. Photo below. Any recommendations?
2. How is the best way to attach the quick slew handle.
3. Should I be removing the screwed pin on the tripod?

Here are the photos from this evening:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94098724@N03/?saved=1

When you say you rotated it, did you rotate it with the bandbox, driving the motors, or just loosen the clutch? You should definitely drive it with the motors to see if you have any binding. If I recall correctly, the worm and worm wheel gear do not rotate when the clutch is loosened.

Check it to make sure you don't get the stall problem that can be common with these mounts. Interestingly with my atlas, the same worm gear settings work great in winter and can cause a stall in summer, probably due to the very slight change in size due to the higher temps.

The other thing I was going to mention was that the bearing retaining rings could be loose. I had some platypus in mine, and after removing the covers on the worm bearings, I saw then when turning the RA axis. Tat the bearing/ worm shaft was moving a few mm. I tightened the ring to snug it up and that play is gone.

Glad you kept it, I love mine!

Mike

10gauge
sage

Reged: 10/31/10

Loc: Boston
Re: Orion AZ-EQ6 Owners: Wobble In RA Axis new [Re: MikeCMP]
      #5791526 - 04/10/13 11:00 PM

Thank you Ed, Johnathan, and Mike! I'll change the location of the azimuth pin. Good point. Oh yes, I rotated 360 degrees with the clutch engaged - checking every 30 degrees of so - smooth as silk, no binding, no cracklings. Truly rock solid. Just a quarter turn and what a difference! Wow, I really didn't feel like going through the hassle of customer service nor having to spend another $6k+. I love the fact that I have 2 alt-az options. The T-Rex and EQ-6 tripod combo are so light for transporting - Thank you Ed!

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: Orion AZ-EQ6 Owners: Wobble In RA Axis new [Re: Skrenlin]
      #5791633 - 04/11/13 12:14 AM

Congratulations on adjusting your mount. That was easy eh? This is definitely one nice mount. I do hope we get a "fix" for the cord wrap "problem" because it is a bit annoying.

You need to move the pin from the tripod to the top North side of the tripod extension with the bevel facing North.

If the extension is not screwing very far into the mount then you need to back it out and jiggle those washers around and get them aligned until it will screw into the mount. It should screw in plenty.

Note that the three screws around the top and bottom of the tripod extension can be easy to strip. Watch out for that.

10gauge
sage

Re: Orion AZ-EQ6 Owners: Wobble In RA Axis new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5792427 - 04/11/13 01:54 PM

I see what you mean, it's also a bit short. Maybe Orion will come out with a 6-10 ft accessory cord? Hey, will phone cord work?
Otherwise it's a lot of mount for $2300.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
      #5792811 - 04/11/13 04:46 PM

Straight through RJ45 silver satin cords work. Straight through Ethernet cables work and have nice factory crimps and strain reliefs. Almost all Ethernet patch cables are straight through. Do not attempt to use Ethernet cross-over cables (which are fortunately rather rare and special these days).

I purchased a 15-foot straight through RJ45 silver satin coiled cord on Ebay because I wanted a coiled cord. The connectors on the ends were so poorly crimped that I had to cut them off and crimp new ones on myself. So much for Ebay quality merchandise.

10gauge
sage

Re: Orion AZ-EQ6 Owners: Wobble In RA Axis new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5793492 - 04/11/13 11:04 PM

Thanks, folinmod. I'll keep an eye out for RJ45 of Ethernet cables. Too bad the hand controller is not WiFi or wireless.

CA Stargazer

Reged: 01/27/12

Loc: Milpitas, California
      #5986583 - 07/23/13 06:36 PM

Another user here with play in RA Axis.
Not severe, but definitely enough to bug the heck out of me.
Initially I had what seemed like backlash when slewing to a star and slowly seeing the star drift away for a few seconds and track normally again usually near meridian.
This weekend while mounting my refractor and checking for sturdy seating on the saddle, I hear a really weak thud and slight wobble, but only when tugging/pulling on RA direction.
Reminded me of this thread, thanks for pointing out the adjustment, it is just as described for the original Atlas/EQ6.

Frank.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1816

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics