Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Scope 2556 new [Re: towinta]
      #5800691 - 04/15/13 02:22 PM

Hi Bernardo,

How about that. It is a small world. I worked on that project in Portugal on and off throughout the 1980s and 90s. We finished it in 2000. I spent many happy summers over there. I was part of an interdisciplinary team; I worked on the mapping and did the archeo-geology, soils, and paleo-environmental reconstruction, as well as putting it in Arc-Info (Geographic Information System/GIS) and construction of a digital elevation model (DEM). The site is located about 100km west of BadaJoz Spain, and between Evoramonte and Portalegre in Alto Alentejo Portugal; a very beautiful, pastoral and ancient area.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
towinta

Reged: 02/16/13

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Re: Scope 2556 new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5801040 - 04/15/13 05:17 PM

Really small and amazing coincidences. Are you a geologist?
It must have been a very nice work. Do you understand Portuguese?, the Spanish is very similar.
I was born in a people(village) in the South of Badajoz (Monesterio). In the same geologic area of Ossa Morena as the Portuguese Alentejo and with much seemed(much looked like) characteristics. I am a geologist, although I have always been employed at Cartography and later with Arcgis and GVsig in other projects.
(Yo nací en un pueblo en el Sur de Badajoz (Monesterio). En la misma zona geológica de Ossa Morena que el Alentejo portugués y con características muy parecidas. Soy geólogo, aunque siempre he trabajado en Cartografía y después con Arcgis y GVsig en otros proyectos.)

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5802322 - 04/16/13 10:52 AM

Sí Bernardo. Yo también soy un geólogista. Hablo Portugués y también un poco de Español.

Terracita

towinta

#5803402 - 04/16/13 07:16 PM

Hello Terra.
It is a happiness to find someone with a formation and a few so similar hobbies. A pity that there are thousands of kilometers for way. I would like to chat and to share some night of observation with you.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5804226 - 04/17/13 09:54 AM

That would indeed be very nice Bernardo. I would like that too.

Terra

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
      #5804580 - 04/17/13 01:46 PM

Welcome, Bernardo! You do indeed have Cloudy Nights in Spain. Although started and still sponsored by an English-speaking American company, Astronomics, we are international. Thank goodness for Google Translator, so you can join us!

Puedo entender un pocatissimo de Espanol. Estudio en el colegio y en la universidad hasta muchos anos. But, I don't know how to type diacritical marks!

I have an eyepiece like your Number 8, but I can't see a Voll-Damm thing through it!

Great scope you have. Whatever I know, I learned here on Cloudy Nights. I've never seen one in person, but as a blue Towa, it's either identical to the similar Sears, or a close cousin.

towinta

#5804620 - 04/17/13 02:06 PM

Who knows, perhaps some day.

I have read your review on Jupiter and it seems fantastic to me. Many years ago in a specializing magazine, testing this telescope with double stars, were saying that its resolution was over the theorist for its opening, and was managing to separate someone impossible for others from 80 mm. Magic?

I also was on Saturday night with the telescope, after some months of clouds it has been the first good weekend and everybody has gone out to observe.

The exotic eyepieces that you have: How are they?

towinta

Re: Scope 2556 new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #5804722 - 04/17/13 03:03 PM

Hello Joe.
The number 8 is to see the double stars, ja, ja.
It is a prank, I put it there like size reference.
Really the most similar thing is the Sears, I believe that it was making the two Towa.
A greeting.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5804768 - 04/17/13 03:35 PM

Hi Bernardo

The more 'exotic' eyepieces I have are several widefield 2 inch eyepieces, one made from a WWII AntiAircraft Gun Site (its a Kellner, 38mm f.l.) a couple of military surplus 2 inch Erfle eyepieces, and 12.5mm and 10mm Wollensak eyepieces. The Wollensaks are among my favorites. They are quite heave, up to 9 elements, and sharp to the edge, nice pinpoint star images. I use these with my 6 inch and 5 inch F5 wide field refractors.

towinta

#5806118 - 04/18/13 06:07 AM

If that they are curious. I looked once through an Zeiss eyepiece from a german tank of the second world war and it was impressively good.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1370

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics