Which one for subscription and why?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Sky & Telescope or Astronomy? new [Re: stmifx]
      #5788867 - 04/09/13 06:21 PM

This will sound like a cop-out but I've never been able to make this decision. I've subscribed to both and haven't regretted it. They each bring great articles, columns, and tips to the table.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5788882 - 04/09/13 06:30 PM

S&T.

Better writing, better editing, less fluff, more stuff. Better pedigree.

Scientific American is to Discover as S&T is to Astronomy.

Nuf said.

Regards,

Jim

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5788895 - 04/09/13 06:36 PM

Check our our Stellar Media Forum. there's been several threads on these two magazines.

Pharquart
sage

Reged: 11/11/09

Loc: Southwest Minneapolis Metro
Re: Sky & Telescope or Astronomy? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5788909 - 04/09/13 06:42 PM

I needed to make this choice myself a while back, so I went to the library and browsed through a few months of back issues. Each magazine has a little different approach and education level. I happened to choose Astronomy but that was just my opinion. I liked the regular columns in that magazine a little better.

Brian

steveyo

Reged: 03/13/12

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Sky & Telescope or Astronomy? new [Re: Pharquart]
      #5788957 - 04/09/13 07:14 PM

Actually, I prefer the British mag "Astronomy Now", but that's harder to obtain, and way more money, at least stateside.

MarkShay

Reged: 11/10/11

Re: Sky & Telescope or Astronomy? new [Re: Pharquart]
      #5788959 - 04/09/13 07:16 PM

S&T for those more into serious observing and Astronomy for those more into astronomical knowledge. In the last few years I think these lines have been blurring with S&T taking on a more "Astronomy" look.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Sky & Telescope or Astronomy? new [Re: MarkShay]
      #5788996 - 04/09/13 07:33 PM

True. S&T has had to dilute its content to appeal to a more mass-market consumer audience just like Scientific American has had to do in order to slow subscription attrition.

Astronomy Now in the UK is just "okay" in my book. I mean, any magazine that would include an article that mentions me by name, with a picture, has to be a little bit sketchy.

For "gearheads", Astronomy Technology Today here in the States is pretty entertaining, though for the most part it's a new products announcement rag...er..."vehicle" more than an "astronomy" publication.

Regards,

Jim

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: Sky & Telescope or Astronomy? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5789011 - 04/09/13 07:46 PM

my favorite was the sky at night magazine, but can no longer afford. I think they have good head to head reviews on equipment and much of the mag is dedicated to how to articles.

personally, if i had to choose one or the other, I would get astronomy as the local library has SandT.

payner
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/07

Loc: Bluegrass Region, Kentucky
Re: Sky & Telescope or Astronomy? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5789022 - 04/09/13 07:58 PM

I enjoy both S&T and Astronomy. I have a semi-complete collection going back to the mid-1980s with a wide gap in the late 80s and early 90s due to college/grad school. I let my S&T subscription lapse this January as I try to make my own mind up about which one. It use to be S&T hands down, but with the dilution of tech info and loss of some writers I'm not sure anymore. I get the sense Astronomy has attempted to beef-up the tech offered to some degree; and I like O'Meara's column.

Like a previous post I find Astronomy Now and Sky at Night interesting; maybe because the two are new to me and provide differing presentation to what I am accustomed to. I am considering subscribing to Astronomy Now.

I really enjoy reaching back in time and re-reading those S&T issues from the 80s and 90s. I suppose instead of giving you clear-cut advice I've managed to show my vascillation with this question. This question is just no longer obvious any longer.

Best,
Randy

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
Re: Sky & Telescope or Astronomy? new [Re: payner]
      #5789064 - 04/09/13 08:19 PM

I like both, there isn't much difference between each.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5789070 - 04/09/13 08:22 PM

The total annual subscription cost for both magazines is about half of the average monthly cable TV bill, or about equivalent to one decent meal out for a couple. Seems like an obvious choice to get both.

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Sky & Telescope or Astronomy? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5789075 - 04/09/13 08:26 PM

Best thing to do is pick up a few copies of each and decide for yourself.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: Sky & Telescope or Astronomy? new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5789146 - 04/09/13 09:11 PM

I enjoy both. Together they don't provide enough 'astro' content to fill in a months reading.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
Re: Sky & Telescope or Astronomy? [Re: mich_al]
      #5789180 - 04/09/13 09:31 PM

I have subscribed to both at times, but haven't subscribed to either in years. Back in the day, it was S&T hands down. I hope they have kept up the tradition. Drop by a newsstand (rare bird in this day and age) and compare for yourself.

skyquest25

Reged: 08/22/12

Loc: United States
Re: Sky & Telescope or Astronomy? [Re: rdandrea]
      #5790157 - 04/10/13 12:07 PM

Astronomy seems to be more "professional" in the sense of articles and content that is inclined toward more advanced astronomers or scientific minded.

Sky & Telescope has always seemed to me more directed toward the real amateur astronomer.

Sky at Night is also more directed toward the amateur but dang it why do they need to call it the "plough" !

Astronomy Now, while a long running publication is more related to "scientific" astronomy similar to Astronomy magazine.

My take after 30 years.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Sky & Telescope or Astronomy? [Re: skyquest25]
      #5790353 - 04/10/13 01:32 PM

Quote:

Astronomy seems to be more "professional" in the sense of articles and content that is inclined toward more advanced astronomers or scientific minded.

Sky & Telescope has always seemed to me more directed toward the real amateur astronomer.

Sky at Night is also more directed toward the amateur but dang it why do they need to call it the "plough" !

Astronomy Now, while a long running publication is more related to "scientific" astronomy similar to Astronomy magazine.

My take after 30 years.

Sorry but my opinion is exactly oposite. Over the years
S&T has had the most complete content for serious Ameture Astronomers. They have gotten closer due to the need to dilute the content of S&T for those who have taken the hobby
on a lighter schedule.
I can say when I got into the hobby I tended to like Astronomy mag better because I understood it a bit better,
but as I have gained more knowledge I have found myself wanting a deeper explanation of the media involved.
They are both good monthlys and I find the reviews refreshing, especially now since my budget has been sliced a lot thinner where it comes to my hobbys.
In a nutshell I'd say Astronomy is a bit more "entertaining" and S&T is more informative, and pointed to more "advanced readers in the hobby" thats my 43 yrs Astro experience worth.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: Sky & Telescope or Astronomy? [Re: orion61]
      #5790371 - 04/10/13 01:41 PM

How is the ad-to-content ratio in these? I've really gotten tired of magazines becoming nothing more than long form advertising. I stopped subscribing to many magazines due to this... that and the fact that by the time the magazine was out I had already heard all I needed on the internet!

Scott in NCAdministrator
80mm Refractor Fanatic

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: Sky & Telescope or Astronomy? [Re: WesC]
      #5790390 - 04/10/13 01:50 PM

I'd say "six of one and a half dozen of another", but S&T is currently the one that I have a subscription to. There was a time when S&T held the upper hand due to its superior technical content, but I'd say that they're pretty close now.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Sky & Telescope or Astronomy? [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5790412 - 04/10/13 02:01 PM

I have both, but yeah, if you have a library near you could read both to get a better feel for them. S&T always has some articles on what to observe that are very interesting and Sue French does a nice job on DSO's each month!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4648

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics