Astrophotography and Sketching >> Astro Imaging/Sketching Contest

Pages: 1
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
Mar13 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll
      #5789656 - 04/10/13 06:41 AM

Welcome to the March 2013 Cloudy Nights Imaging/Sketching Contest poll!

Each month the best images selected from the individual Cloudy Nights Imaging and Sketching forums will be presented for the userbase to vote on. The winning entry will be posted on the front page of the CN website for all to admire! At the conclusion of the poll, the entry with the highest total will be the winner of the contest..

Please choose your favorite from the entries below. The poll will remain open through April 15th at midnight.

Here are the entries for March!

DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing's Finalist - srosenfraz

Here's my entry - the Leo Triplet:

High Resolution Version and more image information available at http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/index.php?c=113&p=490

Image Details:
Base 200mm image is from 119 x 10 min subs at ISO 800 plus 64 x 5 minute subs (25 hours total) at ISO 800 captured with a Gary Honis modified Canon 450D (Baader mod) using a Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM prime lens at f/3.5. Guiding was through a Celestron C-8 using a ONAG on-axis guider, Lodestar autoguider and Phd Guiding.

M65 and M66 detail image is from 89 x 5 minute subs at ISO 1600 (7 1/2 hours) via an orange tube Celestron C-8 at 1160mm (f/5.8) with the same modified Canon 450D. Guiding was through a Celestron C-8 using a ONAG on-axis guider, Lodestar autoguider and Phd Guiding.

NGC 3628 detail image is from 329 x 3 minute subs at ISO 1600 (16 1/2 hours) via an orange tube Celestron C-8 at 1260mm (f/6.3) with the modified Canon 450D. Guiding was with an Astro-Physics 80m f/11 guidescope using an Orion SSAG and Phd Guiding.

Thanks for looking!

CCD Imaging & Processing's Finalist - Oleg Bryzgalov

M97: The Owl Nebula
This picture was photographed March 17-18 2013 in Khlepcha observatory, Ukraine.
Equipment: reflector S&D 254 mm. f/4.7
Mount WhiteSwan-180, camera QSI-583wsg, Tevevue Paracorr-2. Off-axis guidecamera Orion SSAG.
LRGB filter set Baader Planetarium.
L=20*600 sec., bin.1 RGB: 10*450-600 sec. each channel, bin.2 Total 7.5 hours.
Processed Pixinsight 1.7 and Photoshop CS5.
Crop, size:72%

Sketching's Finalist - cpl43uk

I thought I would add my sketch of Comet PANSTARRS perhaps not so much for the sketch but for the effort it took me to find and record the comet through broken cloud! In fact I have found sketching lunar craters easier!

The details:

Sketched at the scope - a Nexstar 8SE, using HB and B pencils on white cartridge paper which I used to get mottling that looked close to the sky view. Eyepiece was usually the 8mm when the comet was in the main FoV, but also frequent use of the wider FoV from the Baader Zoom.

The image was then scanned into Photoshop CS4, merged with my default template and tweaked for colour (especially around the comet to imply a yellowing through aberation) and suitable bluring of the coma head and (especially) the tail.

Good Luck to all our finalists!
Which Image/Sketch is our Winner?
Users may choose only one (16 total votes)
DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing's Finalist - srosenfraz
-
9 56%
CCD Imaging & Processing's Finalist - Oleg Bryzgalov
-
2 12%
Sketching's Finalist - cpl43uk
-
5 31%

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Oleg Bryzgalov

Reged: 12/10/09

Loc: Village Khlepcha, Ukraine
Re: Mar13 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5802003 - 04/16/13 05:06 AM

Srosenfraz, congratulations on unconditional victory!
Picture perfect!
Oleg.

srosenfraz
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/06/11

Loc: United States
Re: Mar13 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll new [Re: Oleg Bryzgalov]
      #5803706 - 04/16/13 11:10 PM

Thank you very much, Oleg - much appreciated. Your Owl Nebula image is superb - the background galaxies are absolutely gorgeous.

Congrats to cpl43uk as well - great sketch of Panstarrs!

cpl43uk
sage

Reged: 02/09/08

Loc: Bristol, UK
Re: Mar13 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll new [Re: srosenfraz]
      #5804890 - 04/17/13 04:47 PM

Excellent result srosenfranz. Beautiful image. Now if I have sketched that image it would have taken me all night!

Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
Re: Mar13 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll new [Re: cpl43uk]
      #5813611 - 04/21/13 05:45 PM

Congrats, Scott - the front page of the website and the stats workbook have been updated, and your image has been added to the winners gallery.

Charlie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics
>