Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
nevy
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/07/12

Loc: UK
Re: To Leica or Not to Leica: That is the Question new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #5795316 - 04/12/13 08:12 PM

Thank you , that's what I wanted to hear

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
demetry

Reged: 01/08/06

Loc: South Carolina
Re: To Leica or Not to Leica: That is the Question new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #5797998 - 04/14/13 09:31 AM

My ASPH Leica is one of the finest eyepieces I have ever owned. I've been using it with my 16" F/4.5 dob recently. I am an exclusive starhopper and I don't have tracking. The low power helps me find the object easily, and the higher powers let me frame according to size of the object and seeing.

But I must say this about my comparative observations to my Ethos 13mm and 10mm. These 2 are also of the finest eyepieces I have ever bought. To me the Ethoses show me brighter images of dimmer objects. I guess that would be called better through put? I saw this last night looking at M94, 4618, and 4625 in CVen and M13 in Her. I thought I resolved more stars in the core here. I've also noticed brighter images in other dim nebulas in UMaj.

Has anyone else noticed this? Could be my 62 year old eyes playing tricks, but I don't think so.

So... I like-a my Leica, but I love-a my Ethoses, too!

Demetry

Full Sun

Reged: 11/19/06

Loc: Ontario
Re: To Leica or Not to Leica: That is the Question new [Re: demetry]
      #5799044 - 04/14/13 06:26 PM

Quote:

My ASPH Leica is one of the finest eyepieces I have ever owned. I've been using it with my 16" F/4.5 dob recently. I am an exclusive starhopper and I don't have tracking. The low power helps me find the object easily, and the higher powers let me frame according to size of the object

But I must say this about my comparative observations to my Ethos 13mm and 10mm. These 2 are also of the finest eyepieces I have ever bought. To me the Ethoses show me brighter images of dimmer objects. I guess that would be called better through put? I saw this last night looking at M94, 4618, and 4625 in CVen and M13 in Her. I thought I resolved more stars in the core here. I've also noticed brighter images in other dim nebulas in UMaj.

Has anyone else noticed this? Could be my 62 year old eyes playing tricks, but I don't think so.

Demetry

- - -

Demetry
I have also compared these eyepieces on Deep Sky.
I completely concur with your observations.
Jerry

Edited by Full Sun (04/14/13 06:27 PM)

demetry

Re: To Leica or Not to Leica: That is the Question new [Re: Full Sun]
      #5799421 - 04/14/13 08:57 PM

Jerry,
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to know my eyes are still working. Must be the number of elements in the ASPH. I'm sure it would have the best coatings.
DP

Kent10
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/08/12

#5799563 - 04/14/13 10:21 PM

Thomas measured the transmission of the Leica at 94.4%. Pretty high for such a lens.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5502437/page...

So I wonder what it is about the Ethos that allows you to see deeper.

demetry

Re: To Leica or Not to Leica: That is the Question new [Re: Kent10]
      #5799635 - 04/14/13 11:14 PM

I think we need more observers' reports.

nevy
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/07/12

Loc: UK
      #5799963 - 04/15/13 07:29 AM

Quote:

My ASPH Leica is one of the finest eyepieces I have ever owned. I've been using it with my 16" F/4.5 dob recently. I am an exclusive starhopper and I don't have tracking. The low power helps me find the object easily, and the higher powers let me frame according to size of the object and seeing.

Demetry

That don't surprise me, the ethoses are the dogs bollox , the best eyepieces I have looked through , I was was so impressed I bought most of them , although I haven't looked through a Leica yet.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2192

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics