Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
galaxyman
Vendor - Have a Stellar Birthday

Reged: 04/04/05

Loc: Limerick, Pa
Re: 5.5mm Meade Series 5000 WP UWA *Mini Review* new [Re: CollinofAlabama]
      #5790428 - 04/10/13 02:08 PM

Interesting Collin, for we see the Pentax XW's a better eyepiece then the T6's

I compared side by side a 7mm T6 and a 7mm XW on a multitude of DSO's (in particular galaxies), and the Pentax was a bit better. Sold the T6 and bought a XW. The much much better E.R. in the Pentax was also a huge plus.

I also had a 5mm T6, and though I didn't do a side by side comparison, this newer Meade reminds me a bit of the Nagler. I have compared a 5mm Nagler to a 5mm Pentax, and here again the Pentax was slightly better than the 5mm T6.

I'll compare the 5.5mm UWA to the 5mm Pentax when I get a chance. One owner of the 5mm Pentax XW uses it as one of his high power go-to eyepieces for his 25" f/4 dob. It will be interesting comparing these two in his 25" and my 22", plus the 8" refractor.

I can say I do like it a bit more than the original 5k's.

Karl
E.O.H.

Chesmont Astronomical Society - www.chesmontastro.org
Galaxy Log - http://www.youtube.com/user/GalaxyLog4565?feature=mhee
Galaxy Log Blog - http://galaxylog.blogspot.com/
HASB - http://www.haveastellarbirthday.com
Telekit (Swayze optics) 22" F/4.5 Dob
Homemade (Parks Optics) 12.5" F/4.8 Dob
TMB/APM 8" f/9 Refractor”The Beast”. One great DEEP SKY achro
ES 6" f/6.5 achro. Good one
Celestron Omni XLT 102 refractor.
Celestron 10x60mm Binos

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: 5.5mm Meade Series 5000 WP UWA *Mini Review* [Re: galaxyman]
      #5790454 - 04/10/13 02:24 PM

So true Karl,

The XW's have always gone a bit deeper. Sorry to burst your bubble Collin, but the T6's are *not* better than the XW's. I also agree that these Meade 5000 WP eyepieces are a big cut above the previous versions Karl. Collin, As I stated in my original post, the 5.5mm Meade WP UWA was mainly acquired for deep sky and not planetary. I just use the 5.5mm On Jupiter for a quick evaluation that night. For planetary, I use my 10mm & 7mm Pentax XW's in conjunction with my GSO ED barlow which gives me razor sharp views @ 210x, 255x and 300x respectively.
Quote:

Overall, the view of Jupiter in this eyepiece was extremely SHARP and very CONTRASTY. The color tone was neutral and I was really liking this eyepiece in a huge way! I never even intended to get this eyepiece for planets and only wanted it for deep sky, but after using it, I would definitely use it on planets again if I wanted to. Another thing I did was let Jupiter drift out from the center to the following edge and the planet itself remained very sharp out to the 90% mark, which is excellent IMO. One last thing I did was look at M-37 in Auriga and every star from edge to edge was extremely sharp looking. This EP is going to be a deep sky favorite!!!!

Cheers!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: 5.5mm Meade Series 5000 WP UWA *Mini Review* new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5922962 - 06/15/13 10:32 PM

I've now had the 5.5mm Meade waterproof Series 5000 out a lot of nights. This eyepiece is one of my favorites! It has ample eye relief, a razor sharp field stop and med-high power images of globulars and Saturn, (218x), have been exceptional! I had it on some globs and Saturn last night and The views were excellent.

Nice little EP indeed.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1785
Calendar Event: 04/05/13

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC