Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
Re: GEM for 6" f/8 Newt new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5793951 - 04/12/13 08:34 AM

Jon,
Re your 6" classic mounting there:
What is the height of the pier/pedestal (at the bottom of the GEM head) and the width of the pedestal?

Thank you in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cuir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/07

Loc: Up north.
Re: GEM for 6" f/8 Newt new [Re: moynihan]
      #5794187 - 04/12/13 11:05 AM

Long post, but required for context, so please don't begrudge me for it.

I used to have an 8" Newtonian on a EQ5, and considered it to be a lot of gymnastics, though I still found it serviceable, but it required a dual-speed focuser to achieve focus at hight powers, and quiet, wind-free weather. Eventually sold the newt for a C8, though. I later ended up trading my way to a 10" newt because of a bout of aperture fever. By then I had changed my mount to a Skywatcher EQ6 Pro, but I soon realized the efforts required to use a 10" on a GEM got me overwhelmed and bummed-out. I Thought of a GoTo dob for a while, but on all 3 which I had tried at star parties, the tracking was "skippy" and not sufficiently smooth for observing with Orthos. At high powers, the slight stutters in motion got very distracting.

That was, more or less, about a year ago. The Lx80 was announced, but I had not seen it, and wasn't sure about it being bulky enough for a 10" Newt, even in Alt-Az mode. Other factors kept me away from the hobby for a while, and forced me to liquidate a lot of my gear. I still had the 10" Newt and a few T6 Naglers, though. Last week, I got wind of the AZ/EQ6 being available. I have ordered one the very same day.

If the EQ6 Pro I used to own is a good hint of what this new mount is capable of, I'm quite confident it's AZ function will be a winner for big reflectors. I should be getting my new mount within 10 days. I also ordered an extra counter-weight and a pier extension to go with it. I will most certainly post my first impressions here on CN, so if you have not yet chosen and acquired your mount, perhaps I'll have some hands-on time and first impressions about the Az/EQ6 solution for a big Newt.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: GEM for 6" f/8 Newt new [Re: cuir]
      #5795229 - 04/12/13 07:06 PM

I think windage is the real concern not weight. Getting it low on a Newt height pier will probably do more for stability than a heavy mount.

Mel M

Reged: 05/04/08

Loc: southern Oregon
Re: GEM for 6" f/8 Newt new [Re: moynihan]
      #5795353 - 04/12/13 08:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My 6" f/6 newt is a little under-mounted on a GM-8. Usable but not solid.

I find that very interesting, given its stated load capacity. Is it the standard legs?

Standard legs. Sure, a GM-8 can hold 30 pounds but with how much image shake? If the wind blows you need to wait for the image to settle. Touch to focus? Wait for image to settle. A more solid mount would really help the high-power views.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: GEM for 6" f/8 Newt new [Re: Mel M]
      #5796321 - 04/13/13 10:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My 6" f/6 newt is a little under-mounted on a GM-8. Usable but not solid.

I find that very interesting, given its stated load capacity. Is it the standard legs?

Standard legs. Sure, a GM-8 can hold 30 pounds but with how much image shake? If the wind blows you need to wait for the image to settle. Touch to focus? Wait for image to settle. A more solid mount would really help the high-power views.

Wow, that surprises me. Someone who is even more sensitive to mount shake than I am. Inconceivable!

Shock and awe aside, how is the backlash on your G8? When I first mounted my 6" f/8 'frac on the G8, it definitely felt like the G8 was not up for the job. I paid a lot of attention to eliminating backlash without too much preload on the worm face and now I am quite happy with the C6R on the G8. It is not perfect, but light-years ahead of the same OTA on a CG5-class, which some folk are perfectly happy with.

Edited by hottr6 (04/13/13 10:48 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1185

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics