Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
RandallK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada
A Very Reliable Guidescope new
      #5780857 - 04/05/13 11:13 PM Attachment (38 downloads)

I have posted this before but thought I would refresh the post. For 2 years now I have been using my Imaging Source DMK21 monochrome webcam for planetary imaging and guiding. I consider it the most valuable tool in my arsenal.
The guide scope conisists of an Antares 7 X 50 finderscope (with the right angle removed), and Angea Astro Blue Fireball extension, and a DMK21 monochrome webcam. The bracket is from Scope Stuff. This combination has a very low profile, very light weight and NO flexture. It has a SYNTA type dovetail that is secured with a Synta type bracket. The one screw in the bracket holds this light weight system very securely. Beacuse of the very sensitive Sony CCD on the DMK, I have had very few problems in finding a guide star. I use it on my 80mm APO refractor and on my Meade 8" SCT. I use PHD guding and only had to make some initial adjustments with no further tinkering. Maybe it's just luck that I made up this combo with great success, but I'll take it!

Edited by RandallK (04/05/13 11:16 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bardo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: US
Re: A Very Reliable Guidescope new [Re: RandallK]
      #5780960 - 04/06/13 12:27 AM

I got the same mount and I'm plagued with flexure. I have been meaning to drill more holes for additional set screws to try and remedy the problem. Right now I use zip ties to help keep it more secure and even then I really can't go over about 5 minutes.

jbalsam
sage

Reged: 07/06/12

Loc: Darnestown, MD
Re: A Very Reliable Guidescope new [Re: bardo]
      #5787953 - 04/09/13 12:25 PM

Bardo -

Are you sure that what is keeping your exposures under 5 minutes is flexure in the guidescope? There are other things that even a perfect guider can't correct for (like field rotation due to polar alignment being a bit off, especially if you're shooting near the pole).

Taylor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/10/05

Loc: Owasso, OK
Re: A Very Reliable Guidescope new [Re: jbalsam]
      #5788199 - 04/09/13 01:59 PM

What model of blue fireball adapter are you using?

Is this setup better than the 50mm Orion auto guider package?

RandallK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada
Re: A Very Reliable Guidescope [Re: Taylor]
      #5790800 - 04/10/13 05:25 PM

It's the Blue Fireball 1.25" Eyepiece Extension Tube with 1" Extension. I don't know if it's better than the Orion. All I know is that this set-up works perfectly for me. I use it with PHD guiding. It's lightweight, small and has no flexure. The Sony monochrome CCD chip is very sensitive and captures a lot of guide stars.

Pages: 1

Extra information
30 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 545

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics