Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Eyepiece Suggestions for 8" LX10 new
      #5788816 - 04/09/13 05:54 PM

Greetings all. I just picked up the Meade used and am looking for eyepiece suggestions that won't break the bank so to speak. It came with just the standard Meade 26mm Plossl. I'll be doing a mixture of DS and planetary observing. Any input would be most appreciated.

I'm also thinking about picking up a Meade Series 5000 2" dielectric star diagonal for the sake of eyepiece flexibility. Any thoughts on this unit in general and/or using a 2" diagonal in the LX10 specifically?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Steve Daniel

Reged: 06/03/12

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Eyepiece Suggestions for 8" LX10 new [Re: dpippel]
      #5788838 - 04/09/13 06:09 PM

Not sure about the Meade 8" specifically, but I'm liking the Meade 5000 HD-60 set and Agena Astro SWA's I purchased for use with my Celestron 8". Less than $600 for 8 eyepieces, all of which have gobs of eye relief, and pretty minimal coma/astigmatism, especially with a reducer/corrector in place.

Steve Daniel

Reged: 06/03/12

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Eyepiece Suggestions for 8" LX10 new [Re: Steve Daniel]
      #5788845 - 04/09/13 06:11 PM

Also, check out this post to compare eyepiece specs all in one place: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5698730/page...

paul mc c

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: Belfast Ireland
      #5788852 - 04/09/13 06:14 PM

I owned one of these in the past and loved it,sorry i let it go,i used BST Explore eyepieces with it 8mm and 12mm and they were amazing,some of the best planetary views i ever had was with the 8mm.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#5788871 - 04/09/13 06:22 PM

Thanks for the input Steve. Which reducer are you using?

BRCoz
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/21/05

Loc: Moreno Valley, CA
      #5788939 - 04/09/13 07:01 PM

I have the Meade 6.3 reducer on my 8" Meade SCT. I have read good comments on this site about the Antares F/6.3 SCT Focal Reducer.

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Eyepiece Suggestions for 8" LX10 new [Re: BRCoz]
      #5789067 - 04/09/13 08:21 PM

The 26mm plossl has a true field of view in that scope of .63 degrees.

With the 2" diagonal you could get a $160 40mm Astro Tech 70 degree Titan Type II eyepice, which will give you 50x with a true field of view about twice as wide as that plossl. This is the best reason for getting the 2" diagonal.

Personally I think the 6.3 reducer is a lot more trouble than it is worth. I have one and never use it. Good for astrophotography but not really needed for visual use. It does work pretty well for DSO viewing but you will want to remove it for viewing very faint DSO's or planets. It is just a another piece of glass in your view. It will significantly reduce coma at the edge of the field, but you cannot use it with longer focal length eyepieces. I find it will work ok with a 17mm 100 degree and a 22mm 82 degree or a 24mm 68 degree. Bigger than that causes more edge issues than the coma that is being eliminated. I have also noticed that the Meade and Celestron 6.3 reducers don't seem to be coated very well because they add some glow and reflections when combined with some eyepieces.

SeattleScott
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/14/11

Re: Eyepiece Suggestions for 8" LX10 new [Re: Lane]
      #5789073 - 04/09/13 08:24 PM

Pretty much any eyepiece will work fine in an F10 scope, so it is really about what features you want, like wide field, long eye relief or maximum contrast from premium optics. Since your scope has considerable focal length I would recommend getting a 2" eyepiece like the one suggested above for low power finder, or a focal reducer which would give a comparable field of view with 1.25" eyepieces.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Eyepiece Suggestions for 8" LX10 new [Re: SeattleScott]
      #5789107 - 04/09/13 08:45 PM

Thanks guys! Scott, I realize that most eyepieces will work in this scope. I was looking for recommendations on brand, focal length, price-to-performance big hitters, etc.

SeattleScott
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/14/11

#5789380 - 04/09/13 11:44 PM

ES 82* series seem to have the reputation for best performance to price ratio. That's why it takes months to get one. Paradigms seem to get good reviews as well but I haven't used them.

A 40mm SWA like the one Lane suggested or a 50/55mm plossl will give a wide field and larger exit pupil. Or go with the focal reducer and a 24mm SWA or 32mm plossl. Shorter focal length eyepieces will give more magnification and darker sky background, which helps in light polluted areas (i.e. 40mm SWA or 24mm SWA with reducer). Longer focal lengths give brighter images, good for dark sky sites (i.e. 55mm plossl or 32mm plossl with reducer). Once you figure out your low power finder, you can work your way down from there to your high power eyepiece. An 8mm would be a pretty good high power eyepiece for the scope, or maybe a 5mm if you plan to leave the focal reducer in all the time. (You can always take the reducer out to get high power with the 8mm.)

RogueGazer

Reged: 06/10/12

Loc: Central Point Oregon
Re: Eyepiece Suggestions for 8" LX10 new [Re: SeattleScott]
      #5789582 - 04/10/13 03:59 AM

Here is what I would get. Actually I did get it but for a bit less. Even for that price it is a killer deal.The eyepiece is great and so is the dielectric diagonal. You might look around a bit because a few other places had this deal for $159.99.

http://telescopes.net/store/meade-99-reflectivity-diagonal-and-24mm-ultra-wid...

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Eyepiece Suggestions for 8" LX10 new [Re: RogueGazer]
      #5790472 - 04/10/13 02:32 PM

Thanks again for the valuable info everyone. And Rogue, thanks for the link to the Meade deal. I missed out on the $159.99 but this is about as good as it's gonna get I think, so I sprung for one.

Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/28/13

Loc: Kingwood, TX
      #5790910 - 04/10/13 05:52 PM

Interesting topic for me as well as I have a C8 in-transit to me as I write.

If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like I'd be better off with a 25mm and a Reducer/Corrector than a 40mm due to the correction for coma (assuming the FOV is the same). Am I getting this right or am I missing something?

I've been WAY on the sidelines from astronomy for the last 35 years and a LOT has changed. When I stepped away Orthos ruled and Plossls were just becoming popular. At that time the Plossls were double the price of the Orthos (go figure).

[edit] I'm sticking with 1 1/4" for now.

Edited by Geo31 (04/10/13 05:53 PM)

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: Eyepiece Suggestions for 8" LX10 new [Re: Geo31]
      #5791000 - 04/10/13 06:23 PM

George are you in the North Houston Astronomy Club? They are based in Kingwood TX. With 160 members I guarantee you someone has a 6.3 focal reducer you can borrow and use at their dark site. You could also try out 2" accessories on your scope or someone else's 8" sct. That will give you a better idea of what the benefits and problems are with each approach. This is also a good way to check out eyepieces before you buy them.

Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/28/13

Loc: Kingwood, TX
Re: Eyepiece Suggestions for 8" LX10 [Re: Lane]
      #5791137 - 04/10/13 07:45 PM

Oh, outstanding! I'd forgotten about them. Last year someone told me about them and I'd forgotten. I will definitely join them. Thank you! I'll look them up tonight.

Quote:

George are you in the North Houston Astronomy Club? They are based in Kingwood TX. With 160 members I guarantee you someone has a 6.3 focal reducer you can borrow and use at their dark site. You could also try out 2" accessories on your scope or someone else's 8" sct. That will give you a better idea of what the benefits and problems are with each approach. This is also a good way to check out eyepieces before you buy them.

RogueGazer

Reged: 06/10/12

Loc: Central Point Oregon
      #5791730 - 04/11/13 02:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks again for the valuable info everyone. And Rogue, thanks for the link to the Meade deal. I missed out on the $159.99 but this is about as good as it's gonna get I think, so I sprung for one.

Glad to help. I really think you will like the 24 UWA eyepiece. I pulled the trigger on this package deal mostly for the diagonal but was pleasantly suprised by both. The build quality is not quite as good as the ES eyepieces but the views are really good. I decloaked mine to shed some size and weight. Here is a thread on how to put it "on a diet". It is really easy to do and allows you to store it in a bolt case for better protection.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2152398/page...

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
      #5791973 - 04/11/13 09:19 AM

I recently heard a radio show where David Levy interviewed Al Nagler and asked him about eyepiece choices for 8" schmidt cassegrains. Al recommended two only...a 32mm plossl and a 12mm Nagler. Ultimate minimalist setup but it makes sense since a 12mm Nagler shows the same amount of sky as a 20mm plossl, enabling this eyepiece to serve both medium and high power needs.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Eyepiece Suggestions for 8" LX10 new [Re: BDS316]
      #5792084 - 04/11/13 10:43 AM

Interesting as most nights I can't use anything lower than a 11-13mm EP range. The 20 mm SWA is one of my favorites for general viewing and then 24mm on my 8" SCT

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: Eyepiece Suggestions for 8" LX10 new [Re: REC]
      #5792185 - 04/11/13 11:47 AM

Sounds like Al has really good skies. I don't use the C8 much anymore but I always found in the past that my 16mm Nagler and 27mm Panoptic were my most used eyepieces. The sky conditions needed to be pretty good for me to use my 12mm nagler and needed to be extremely good to use my 9mm nagler.

Pages: 1

Extra information
26 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 569

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics