Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Kent10
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/08/12

Re: Hole Inside Eyepiece Holder of Mark V [Re: Moonglum]
      #5791213 - 04/10/13 08:14 PM

I just had a quick view so it is possible there was a little light getting in but certainly it wasn't like before where I couldn't view at all.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Moonglum
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/01/08

Re: Hole Inside Eyepiece Holder of Mark V new [Re: Kent10]
      #5791405 - 04/10/13 10:06 PM

Daytime I assume?

Kent10
Pooh-Bah

Re: Hole Inside Eyepiece Holder of Mark V new [Re: Moonglum]
      #5791674 - 04/11/13 12:55 AM

Yes I tested while viewing the sun in the day

Moonglum
professor emeritus

#5794051 - 04/12/13 09:53 AM

I am now almost certain this effect in my refractors only occurs with the 2.6X in it's position after the diagonal. With the 2.6X before the diagonal(3.4X), the 1.3 and 1.7X placed anywhere, and the Barcon placed before the diagonal, there are no unwanted reflections. I should be able to test and confirm this sometime this weekend.

Kent10
Pooh-Bah

#5794201 - 04/12/13 11:19 AM

I was also using the 2.6X GPC but in the bino. I know that is the incorrect way of using it but it is the only way to use it for my Lunt LS100 solar scope as far as I know. It seems to work fine except for the bright reflections.

Kent10
Pooh-Bah

#5852162 - 05/10/13 02:42 PM

I discovered something interesting today. With my extensions on my Leicas it has eliminated the light glow but the depth of the eyepiece holders on the Mark V are different. I believe both eyepieces with the extensions on are bottoming out and I normally have my left eyepiece adjusted so it sits higher because my eyes are different. I noticed the right was actually higher and that is why objects weren't looking quite like they should with the Leicas. I can adjust them to be the correct distance but it is not convenient because then it is wrong for other eyepieces. I am glad I noticed this though because I couldn't quite get my Leicas sharp enough in the Mark V and I know they are sharp in mono. Now I know why I was having the trouble.

Moonglum
professor emeritus

#5852394 - 05/10/13 05:45 PM

"Light glow" is a good name for the problem. I've noticed it seems to be related to eye-relief. The 2.6X obviously increases the eye-relief, in the process of backing up my eyes from the eye-lenses the light glow begins to appear- the crescent shaped glow gets thicker as I lower my sight-line too. When I move my eyes closer to the eye-lenses the crescent narrows 'til it disappears. This is a problem in daytime viewing, kinda a drag as I'd like to use this GPC in my 80mm during the day.

Kent10
Pooh-Bah

#5852446 - 05/10/13 06:15 PM

For me and my Leicas with Mark V, I think there are 2 light problems. One is the light coming into the hole of the Mark V. That was fixed with the extension that bottoms out. If I lift the EP up a little then I see the light again. It is really bright if the sun is directly hitting the hole area. If I put my hand in front it helps a little. The other problem I think is light hitting the top of the EP. This problem does not happen in all EPs but in some in addition to the Leicas. I see a round dull white area and if I bring my hood (hooded vest) around it, it disappears.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1481

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics