Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Gary BEAL
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/10/03

Loc: New Zealand
Re: AstroTortilla - how does it work? new [Re: fmhill]
      #5868335 - 05/17/13 10:39 PM

Mitch,
you are a legend, thank you. I have rolled it down the drive and am about to connect it up, hopefully.
So, confirming, 4219 - 4205, correct? Yes, scopes below 1000mm, and (at this stage anyway) DSLR.
I'll get started, but come back and check. Very much appreciated.
Gary

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
fmhill
sage

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
Re: AstroTortilla - how does it work? new [Re: Gary BEAL]
      #5868351 - 05/17/13 10:45 PM

Quote:

Mitch,
you are a legend, thank you. I have rolled it down the drive and am about to connect it up, hopefully.
So, confirming, 4219 - 4205, correct? Yes, scopes below 1000mm, and (at this stage anyway) DSLR.
I'll get started, but come back and check. Very much appreciated.
Gary

Yes, 4219-4205 is all you need...

Let me know how it works out... I'll be monitoring for a few hours yet tonight...

Gary BEAL
Pooh-Bah

#5868376 - 05/17/13 10:59 PM

It's happening, the first few whooshed through, but the rest are slow, another half hour at this stage. I'll keen you posted. Great job for a lazy Saturday afternoon. Raining too.
Gary

Gary BEAL
Pooh-Bah

#5868588 - 05/18/13 12:58 AM

OK, got it all loaded etc. It even did the CygWin bit, which threw me for a while.
Tried a couple of solves with "Preview" images I happened to have from a recent BYE capture. No luck with them, but maybe that is just a setting thing, something I haven't "adjusted".
Need to try a few more, and change a setting or three perhaps.
Gary

fmhill
sage

#5868602 - 05/18/13 01:10 AM

Quote:

OK, got it all loaded etc. It even did the CygWin bit, which threw me for a while.
Tried a couple of solves with "Preview" images I happened to have from a recent BYE capture. No luck with them, but maybe that is just a setting thing, something I haven't "adjusted".
Need to try a few more, and change a setting or three perhaps.
Gary

My guess it is settings in AT... This is normal for a first start up...

Thing to do is to first start the Log Viewer first, set Sigma to 100, then try to solve a preview image. Watch the log file for a line "simplexy - Sources found" and this number should be in the range of 24 to 65, if it not, abort the capture, change sigma to adjust this sources found number... Its a trial and error adjustment...

I'll be here waiting to hear what happens...

Gary BEAL
Pooh-Bah

#5868632 - 05/18/13 01:46 AM

YESSSSS. Success, thank you.
Ended up with a sigma of 130. Solved, not the fastest, but solved.
That excited I don't recall how long. Then ticked the "Synch scope" and "Slew to" boxes, thinking I was clever.
Solved again (guess a minute or two) then the mount slewed on it's own (testing indoors, but in sort of real-like situation).
Can't wait to try this for real. Oh, and I'll read the manual as well, something us males are not noted for.
Thanks again,
Gary

fmhill
sage

#5868651 - 05/18/13 02:10 AM

Great... AT is pretty simple once you become familiar with it and learn a few of the shortcuts...

One other suggestion, Try setting "Scale Maximum" to 2 and scale minimum to .5 and it should speed up the processing a bit... Scale Minimum and Scale Maximum should bracket the FOV of the camera/OTA... A little larger is OK, smaller and AT may not solve all images...

Glad to hear its working, Think I'll go to bed now, 2:10 AM local time here now...

Clear Skies, hope the rain stops soon for you...
Mitch...

Edited by fmhill (05/18/13 02:12 AM)

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

Re: AstroTortilla - how does it work? new [Re: Raginar]
      #5874925 - 05/20/13 11:10 PM

Quote:

I haven't tried this, but if you can compile the program, my guess is the index files won't matter where they're opened. They're not specific to a file system. Just extract them on windows and transfer it to a Mac.

you don't even have to compile it - there's a "backend" configuration file for solve-field (astrometry.net, which AT is based on) in which you can point the solver at the directory where the index files live.

in fact, i run AT in a VMWare virtual machine on my mac. the index files are on the mac filesystem and VMWare is configured with a shared folder pointing to the directory where the indices are. the backend config then calls out that drive letter.

works great.

g__day

Reged: 06/19/07

Loc: Sydney
Re: AstroTortilla - how does it work? new [Re: pfile]
      #5884783 - 05/25/13 10:42 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

I tried this the latest 64bit version of this software (after an imaging run last night) and was very impressed with software!

I would love to know how to speed it up by optimal parameter setting. I image from a C9.25 SCT into a Canon 40D at prime focus, so my imaging scale is around 0.44 arc seconds per pixel. My mount is an Atlux + SS2K-PC using Tpoint and the Sky6 PE, it regular points within 30 - 180 arc seconds of target - on a best night!

The full data base is downloaded onto a SSD and I'm only running a Core2 2.2 GHz CPU and a PC with 8GB RAM.

Image of AT settings attached:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=140220&d=1...

on 15 second shot of M20

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment_browse.php?a=140221

PS

Given my pointing is pretty solid - should I use the -3 and -4 parameters to receive RA and DEC parameters from the mount to speed things up on a real imaging run?

Cheers all, Matt

LoveChina61
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/09

Re: AstroTortilla - how does it work? new [Re: g__day]
      #5884978 - 05/26/13 12:56 AM

Can I ask what the latter "Custom options" settings are and what they achieve? I would like to see if they can help me get faster results.

For example, beginning after "--sigma 70 --no-plots -N none" what do you have written there? It is hard to make out the individual keystroke characters. Can you please post it in a reply message to this board?

Mike

g__day

Re: AstroTortilla - how does it work? new [Re: LoveChina61]
      #5884980 - 05/26/13 01:02 AM

Hi - being a few hours into this I can inform you from http://sourceforge.net/p/astrotortilla/home/Configuration/

Recommended options to experiment with:
--sigma N Set the noise level to N
--no-plots Do not plot the annotated image
--N none Do not create a new FITS file with integrated WCS headers
-q N.N Minimum quad size fraction
-Q N.N Maximum quad size fraction
--odds-* See astrometry.net documentation
--parity neg|pos Try only negative/positive parity
--objs N Limit source list to N objects
--resort Sort stars by background calibrated flux
--no-fits2fits Don't sanitize FITS files
--no-background-subtraction Don't estimate background fluctuations
--guess-scale Try to estimate field size from FITS headers

The --sigma option can be used in conjuction with the exposure time to improve the detected stars SNR and limit the number of items interpreted as stars. Depending on your camera and telescope aperture the known good values are known to vary between 2-5 seconds of exposure and 5-200 units for --sigma

I guess the -r is resort (in short form) - i.e. sort by brightest stars.

Sigma I expect is a noise reject to ensure you are searching on real stars not hot pixels.

No plots mean solutions aren't stored to your hard drive.

What has worked best for me is:

1. Have a shot that includes 30 - 100 stars, do this by maybe taking a 5 - 15 second shot and setting the Sigma parameter to around 70
2. Calculate your imaging scale and set your units accordingly and provide upper and lower bounds; for me that is arcsecperix as unit with a 0.2 - 0.8 range (mine is just under 0.44 arc sec / pixel, mind you I just found 0.43 - 0.44 is faster, as it excludes unwanted search files without having to remove them from their default directory)
3. I use the parameters other have suggested -H and -L and -r -c 0.02 - seem to work okay
4. I searched originally 180 degrees of sky - will try 30 degree, given my pointing that is still vast versus my current pointing (answer - Yes it at least halves the time).

fmhill
sage

#5884998 - 05/26/13 01:27 AM

I'm typing this on my Laptop and do not have the explanation of the terms available. You can find on the sourceforge Astrotortilla website under confguration...

On my system, after the "N None" is: -r -c 0.02

LoveChina61
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/09

#5885138 - 05/26/13 05:53 AM

Thanks much for the information!

g__day

#5885429 - 05/26/13 11:28 AM

Funny one tonight - tried both x86 and x64 bit versions tonight at the scope. The 64 bit version connects to the Sky6 Telescope via MaxPoint, as this is the only 64 bit driver in the list that will work with 32 bit drivers. The 32 bit version connects direct to The SKy 6 controlled telescope driver.

With correct imaging I got plenty of plate solves - generally about 2 arc minutes off in DEC, however I had the check boxes Sync and re-point ticked and nothing! It said centering but I could detect no movement. I checked the SS2K-PC handcontroller and it still had the three original stars sync-ed - not the new one that had just been plate solved.

Is this most likely a bug in the sync and goto command?

Later I also opened a previous night's image of M20 and issued a solve and goto - it slew the scope considerably and got fair close but not perfect - about 10 arc minutes off I'd guess.

Anyone know what is likely happening or who to ask?

Many thanks,

Matthew

g__day

#5886050 - 05/26/13 06:59 PM

Folks - just seen on the Astro Tortilla Discussion boards someone else with the same issue since upgrading from version 0.51 to 0.52 https://sourceforge.net/p/astrotortilla/discussion/issues/thread/b5546e48/

May be an known issue that gets corrected shortly. Pondering whether to try version 0.51 when the clouds clear!

g__day

#5893684 - 05/31/13 06:07 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

So still more errors on the re-centering. I ensure the ASCOM driver was selected for the Sky6 and syncs were enabled, regardless of the Tpoint model, and that the Sky6 didn't ask for syncs to be confirmed.

Solved for M4 - which was a few arc seconds off in RA and an arc minute or two in DEC off, but the sync and re-slew failed. Checking the log it refused the sync because the reported RA DEC had a 44.23" pointing error! Any ideas folks?

Image attached!

fmhill
sage

#5893989 - 05/31/13 10:38 AM

ALl I can tell you is that I use Astrotortilla with BYEOS and Stellarium and it re-synch's and re-slews fine, no problems... I have no knowledge of TheSkyX or how it would work with Astrotortilla. All I can say is that possibly there is an issue with the ASCOM configuration or ASCOM driver or TheSkyX itself...

g__day

#5894096 - 05/31/13 11:35 AM

I have posted a question to the Bisque boys on their forums, may get me somewhere but there are a lot of variables in the mix, so I'll eliminate a few.

Clouds willing I will slew to a target then disconnect the sky and connect directly from Astro Tortilla to the Vixen SkySensor2000-PC driver and see if that allows syncs. It could be that driver hasn't implemented syncs.

Then I will reconnect the Sky to the Vixen driver and issue a goto a reference star and try issuing a sync from that software to the SS2K. If that work's - isolates the problem as the driver, if it doesn't - it could be the Sky6. In which case I will try CDC or Stellarium (but not sure if they can issue sync's.

Fun, fun, fun!

g__day

#5897547 - 06/02/13 10:22 AM

Well direct connecting Astro Tortilla v0.51 32 bit directly to the latest Vixen SkySensor2000-PC driver worked! Plate solve was fast, re-sync worked and re-point did its job nicely!

So the ignoring sync seems to stem from the Sky6's behaviour; clouds rolled in before I could do more testing, but will post more results later!

g__day

#5903625 - 06/05/13 10:57 AM

Tom Bisque confirmed for me yesterday The Sky6 should accept syncs:

I tried with The Sky6 using the Telescope Simulator.

I slewed to M8 then in Astro Tortilla solved image for M20 from yesterday given its quite a close target (about 1.8 degrees separation). In Astro Tortilla I had Sync and Slew Options selected.

First with I tried it with the SKy6 having a Tpoint model enabled, then I removed the Tpoint and tried again. The failure messages show the following (even thought I had Protect the Tpoint unselected) and ran both The SKy6 and Astro Tortilla from the Administrator account.

2013-05-27 01:01:41,388 - astrotortilla.Main - ERROR - Sync failed: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "astrotortilla\gui\MainFrame.pyo", line 804, in OnBtnGOButton
File "astrotortilla\engine.pyo", line 572, in gotoCurrentTarget
File "astrotortilla\telescope\ASCOMTelescope.pyo", line 222, in position
File "<COMObject TheSky.Telescope>", line 3, in SyncToCoordinates
com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, u'ASCOM TheSky Driver', u'Cannot sync because TPOINT is in use.', None, 1000440, -2147220480), None)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "astrotortilla\gui\MainFrame.pyo", line 813, in OnBtnGOButton
File "astrotortilla\gui\MainFrame.pyo", line 774, in showTracebackDialog
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'format_exc'
File "astrotortilla\gui\MainFrame.pyo", line 876, in OnScopePollTimer
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'RA'
2013-06-03 19:56:34,505 - astrotortilla.Main - ERROR - Sync failed: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "astrotortilla\gui\MainFrame.pyo", line 802, in OnBtnGOButton
com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, u'TheSky', u'Permission denied', None, 1000070, -2146828218), None)

File "astrotortilla\gui\MainFrame.pyo", line 813, in OnBtnGOButton
File "astrotortilla\gui\MainFrame.pyo", line 774, in showTracebackDialog
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'format_exc'
2013-06-03 19:58:31,470 - astrotortilla.Main - ERROR - Sync failed: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "astrotortilla\gui\MainFrame.pyo", line 802, in OnBtnGOButton
com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, u'TheSky6.Document', u'Limits exceeded.\n\nError code = 218 (0xda).', u'C:\\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\\SOFTWARE BISQUE\\THESKY6\\Help\\TheSkyV6.hlp', 98419, -2147220286), None)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7849

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics