Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
fmhill
sage

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
Re: AstroTortilla - how does it work? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6042006 - 08/23/13 02:48 PM

if you have a way, CYGWIN and the indexes can be copied from another machine as long as you keep the folder and sub-directory structure intact.

I have done this a number of times. Once you have Astrotortilla and CYGWIN installed and operating on a computer, all you need is to install Astrotortilla itself and then copy the rest rather than waste time an bandwidth downloading it...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
      #6043151 - 08/24/13 08:30 AM

Ok I am unable to solve anything.

simplexy returns a huge number of sources. When I raise sigma, the number of sources first goes down, then goes up again.

I understand that there should only be 20-80 objects. I am currently using my lowly Meade DSI guide camera (images are small, meaning solving should be faster) but even with this (noisy) camera I get hundreds of sources..

fmhill
sage

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
      #6043284 - 08/24/13 10:16 AM

Can you include a screen capture snapshot of the Astrotortilla window showing the settings in a post here?

Also, There is a parameter "Downscaling", try increasing this in steps of 2. this will help reduce the number of objects.

When the number of objects is higher than 100, AstroTortilla becomes swamped with data and will take hours to reach a solution so you must get the number of objects found by simplexy to a manageable level...

Edited by fmhill (08/24/13 10:19 AM)

Puck Ja
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: OK, USA
Solved but not sync new [Re: fmhill]
      #6117368 - 10/04/13 02:21 PM

I used AT in one night with Atlas mount controlled by CdC and EQmod. After PA, I slewed the mount a bright star close to my imaging target using CdC. Certain, the target was not in FoV. I take 5-sec shot and use AT's Capture and Solve with the image file. It solved and sync'ed. I can see one star in the EQmod N-pt model list. And I slew the the target right on.

Later, I slew to another target and it was out of FoV. I just repeat the previous process: get a shot and tried to use AT to solve and sync. However, this time it was solved but never seemed to sync. The message at the bottom reported that it was solved in 12 sec, but the button under "Sync" still shows "Abort..." . And there was no additional alignment star added into EQmod list. AT seemed to be hanged and I have to killed with Task Manager.

So did I do something wrong? Shouldn't I input more star for GOTO alignment with AT?

Thanks for the help!

dobsoscope
sage

Reged: 05/24/06

Re: Solved but not sync new [Re: Puck Ja]
      #6274805 - 12/27/13 03:25 AM

Can you keep the indices files permanently installed onto a USB stick rather than on the main pc hard drive?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8914

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics