Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
jimb1001
sage

Reged: 11/14/09

Loc: Florida
Re: LX80 tripod failure (another) new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5793696 - 04/12/13 01:36 AM

I don't work for Meade, don't own their stock and have very little invested in Meade products. I think you'd be hard pressed to call me a "fan boy".

We have evidence that two mount plates on a new product failed. We don't know how many have sold. We don't know if the manufacturing process had couple of random issues during startup that only came to light in use.

We do know that there are a lot of people here anxious to disparage American engineering, Meade for supposedly trying to supposedly save $1 on manufactured costs and wanting to give Meade no credit for replacing the damaged part under warranty at no cost to the customer.

If you read these forums long enough, and I have, you would never buy anything from Meade, never buy a CGEM or CGE, never buy a newer Vixen mount or an Ioptron.

The only thing to buy is a used CG5, oh wait, the periodic error is so huge and can't be corrected that its only good for visual, maybe.

That leaves only AP and, if you can't afford AP, well then you need a different hobby.

Its a lot of elitist nonsense.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: LX80 tripod failure (another) [Re: jimb1001]
      #5794041 - 04/12/13 09:47 AM

That is true to some extent. If you take what you read here too seriously, you'd never buy anything but a Bisque or AP, and might be nervous then.

HOWEVER...sometimes smoke = fire, and in the case of the 80, I'm afraid it does. Not that it couldn't be improved fairly easily--Meade just has to choose to do that.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3417

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics