Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: West Tennessee
Re: To Leica or Not to Leica: That is the Question new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5794055 - 04/12/13 09:56 AM

I suspect that the APM 1.25" adapter will have a much shorter optical path compared to the Baader 1.25" adapter screwed into either APM or Starlight 2" adapter.

When ordering the ASPH from APM, it comes with the adapter of your choice. Perhaps APM would sell the Leica a bit cheaper without an adapter if one wanted to go with Starlight.

I do know that the cost for an additional adapter from APM to the US is 80 shipped, and being impressed with the 2" adapter I will be placing an order for the 1.25" next month.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: To Leica or Not to Leica: That is the Question [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5794086 - 04/12/13 10:12 AM

Mike,

One of the things, other than price, that concerns me is the limited zoom range. 9mm to 18mm isn't alot in the grand scheme of things. I typically use 5mm and 6mm eyepieces in my refractors for planetary and 12mm for wide field viewing. With my SCTs and Dobs 10mm for planets but 25mm for wide fields. So from that standpoint it wouldn't work as one eyepiece for everything. Maybe your needs are different with your scopes.

And by the way I'm still not a fan of the set screws holding the eyepiece in. More that once with heavy eyepieces my diagonal holder has swung down towards the ground while using it, and the only thing that saved the eyepiece was the compression ring. I'm not sure nylon screws would hold. If I was going to buy the eyepiece I would go with the Starlight adapter for sure.

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
Re: To Leica or Not to Leica: That is the Question new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5794098 - 04/12/13 10:20 AM

Quote:

One of the things, other than price, that concerns me is the limited zoom range. 9mm to 18mm isn't alot in the grand scheme of things.

APM also sell a Zeiss 6.7-25.1 mm zoom that I'm very curious about.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: To Leica or Not to Leica: That is the Question new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #5794100 - 04/12/13 10:20 AM

Quote:

I suspect that the APM 1.25" adapter will have a much shorter optical path compared to the Baader 1.25" adapter screwed into either APM or Starlight 2" adapter.

That really doesn't bother me, because I'd be using the Leica + Starlight 2" adapter + Baader 1.25" adapter in a filter wheel with OCA or Barlow. I should have no problem with in-focus. The potential problem is for the Paracorr. I'm not sure if the Leica + Starlight 2" adapter can be positioned at the best setting for coma correction in my Paracorr I.

Quote:

When ordering the ASPH from APM, it comes with the adapter of your choice. Perhaps APM would sell the Leica a bit cheaper without an adapter if one wanted to go with Starlight.

That would be something to look into, since I wouldn't be using the APM adapter.

Mike

Daud
sage

Reged: 08/05/06

Loc: AZ, Scottsdale
      #5794106 - 04/12/13 10:23 AM

With the volume Markus is apparently selling and his relation to Leica documented by the pinched zoom free repair, I am wondering why he has not asked for a custom run of say 50 eyepieces in 1.25" format. Maybe if he has enough preorders ?

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: To Leica or Not to Leica: That is the Question new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5794228 - 04/12/13 11:33 AM

Me too, and it's only $750 and I already have the 2" Zeiss adapter.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: To Leica or Not to Leica: That is the Question new [Re: Daud]
      #5794230 - 04/12/13 11:34 AM

Hi Daud. The current 2" APM adapter is outstanding and affordable. 10 seconds off, maybe 20 seconds on. Recessed non-marring flat-head set screws mean easy work even in low light conditions. Even in normal light conditions, you cannot see the set screw so you are working with tactile senses anyway. It is really not much more trouble than swapping out a filter, etc. And if one is moving from 2" to 1.25" format they are probably swaping diagonals and other equipment also, so this is really a non-issue in my opinion. And nothing comparable to the gain of outstanding optics, parfocal zoom, amazing f.o.v and the trivial task of swapping adapters.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5794261 - 04/12/13 11:45 AM

Quote:

That would be something to look into, since I wouldn't be using the APM adapter.

If APM won't sell at discount with an adapter, get the 1.25" adapter. Although if your available focus can handle the extra 2 cm or so adding a Baader adapter to the end of an 2" adapter, a shorter image train is always more convenient.

Another thing to take into consideration is that It looks like the new APM 2" adapter is lower profile that pictures I have seen of previous models. Perhaps my adapter not having an undercut makes it look shorter, not sure. I don't own a Paracorr so am not sure if a lower profile is even an issue with a Paracorr. I would be more than happy to pull out my calipers and measure if that would be helpful to anyone,

Tamiji Homma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
      #5794273 - 04/12/13 11:49 AM

Quote:

With the volume Markus is apparently selling and his relation to Leica documented by the pinched zoom free repair, I am wondering why he has not asked for a custom run of say 50 eyepieces in 1.25" format. Maybe if he has enough preorders ?

I don't think just 50 eyepiece order can move Leica to build astronomical version

The Starlight Instruments' Leica ASPH Zoom eyepiece adapter quote was $510 a piece when I asked them to build custom one for me. As I remembered that they saw potential future sale, so they built 6 adapters, they reduced price to somewhere $340 for me, I think.

I don't know how many they sold but the price was dropped to $190 lately so they must be selling beyond original 6 pieces.

Tammy

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: To Leica or Not to Leica: That is the Question new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5794369 - 04/12/13 12:44 PM

Tammy, can you give a brief synopsis that what the Starlight adapter offers that the APM does not to your knowledge? There seems to be a preference in this thread for the Starlight, which would cost extra money compared to the APM supplied with the eyepiece.

Tamiji Homma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
      #5794389 - 04/12/13 12:56 PM

I think Starlight Instruments' adapter has

1. Bayonet adapter, no tool necessary to swap. it was important for me since I was planning to buy a Leica spotting scope.
2. M48 and M42 threaded bottom, which is similar to Astro Physics AP16T adapter.

If APM offers M48/M42 double threaded adapter, I don't see much advantage over Starlight Instruments' one for astronomical use in functionality.

Tammy

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5794528 - 04/12/13 01:55 PM

Mark,

Quote:

APM also sell a Zeiss 6.7-25.1 mm zoom that I'm very curious about.

Yes, 6.7-25.1mm is a nice focal-length range, even better than the Baader Zoom and others that are 8-24mm. Unfortunately, the AFOV range is only 68-46 degrees. But still that is about the same as the Baader Zoom AFOV range, at 72-42 degrees. I wonder how much better the image is than the Baader's?

Mike

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
      #5794637 - 04/12/13 02:27 PM

Please try one and let me know, Mike.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5794687 - 04/12/13 02:57 PM

I was looking forward to your report!

Mike

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5794833 - 04/12/13 04:18 PM

Quote:

To Leica or Not to Leica

Since there are a choice of adapter options, I believe the answer to this question is to Leica, you lika' it! I

I've been looking at Sol all day and comparing the Leica to my other eyepieces, and sure still lika' my Leica. Actually I love it. Best money spent since I got back in the hobby a few years ago. Not to mention my wallet is much happier now that I am not lusting for Zao's and other top tier mid to short f/l eyepieces...

Maybe if I ever get a chance to look through some Zao I will change my mind... Or not.

Daud
sage

Reged: 08/05/06

Loc: AZ, Scottsdale
      #5795029 - 04/12/13 05:39 PM

Ain,

wouldn't the factory made 1.25" end solve partially (?) the in-travel requirements?

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5795089 - 04/12/13 05:50 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Mike - Another solution is to simply barlow the Leica, it does not need a Paracorr in a fast scope when barlowed - edges are clean. You can screw a Baader barlow element or equivalent (GSO makes one) on the bottom of the 1.25" adapter and get around 1.5X which is really not that much more than the 1.15X of the Paracorr. I actually find this a more usable range, around 6mm-12mm. Or put it in a 1.7X or 2X barlow the conventional way. Or do what I do and screw a 1.25" 2X Zeiss Abbe barlow nosepiece or equivalent (Antares makes similar barlows with T-threads I believe) onto the T-thread of the 2" adapter, this gives almost exactly 2X or 4.5-9mm

EDIT: OR now that I think about it, the 1.25" nosepiece is very simple to take on and off the 2" adapter. Why not just get the 2" T-thread adapter and then get a cheap T-thread 1.25" nosepiece from Agena? As long as in-focus is not an issue, problem solved. When you wanna use the Paracorr just unscrew the nosepiece and use it in 2" mode.

Edited by johnnyha (04/12/13 06:11 PM)

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5795133 - 04/12/13 06:01 PM

Quote:

wouldn't the factory made 1.25" end solve partially (?) the in-travel requirements?

The 1.25" adapter requires more in-focus because the field lens barrel protrudes out the bottom of the eyepiece, so the 1.25" adapter is basically the same as the 2" adapter with a 1.25" nosepiece added similar to the above photo (although may be just a tiny bit shorter). The 2" adapter is wide enough and just long enough to cover the field lens barrel so you gain about 1" infocus over the 1.25" adapter.

nevy
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/07/12

Loc: UK
Re: To Leica or Not to Leica: That is the Question new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5795247 - 04/12/13 07:18 PM

Does the Leica perform well in a 2" televue powermate?

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: To Leica or Not to Leica: That is the Question new [Re: nevy]
      #5795309 - 04/12/13 08:06 PM

I could perhaps answer this, except the Powermate was sold to help fund the Leica. Other than the extreme length of the combo, I cannot imagine any performance issues.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2145

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics