Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
planetmalc
sage

Reged: 10/21/09

Re: Telemeter Transformation new [Re: Aerialist]
      #5794316 - 04/12/13 12:08 PM

Cool!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hallelujah
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/14/06

Loc: North Star over Colorado
Re: Telemeter Transformation new [Re: planetmalc]
      #5794329 - 04/12/13 12:18 PM

Very bright and shiny.

Stan

planetmalc
sage

Reged: 10/21/09

Re: Telemeter Transformation [Re: hallelujah]
      #5794355 - 04/12/13 12:36 PM

Quote:

Very bright and shiny.

Stan

That's why there's a sunglasses emoticon.

I'd love to get a look through it.

Edited by planetmalc (04/12/13 12:37 PM)

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

Re: Telemeter Transformation new [Re: planetmalc]
      #5794527 - 04/12/13 01:55 PM

Lots of work, no? How did Aerialist sand, and then polish , in the internal corners, such as are near to the IPD knob housing on the main body? Some type of rotary tool with spherical abrasive pads?

The "NOS" headrest: Aerialist, is that the Navy headrest for the shipboard 20 x 120, and the Mk. 97 gunsight(?), etc.? I have guessed that those US Navy headrests were a shape copy of the WW II Flak glass of this thread, because the fit on my face, and the shape, are very similar, if not identical. The Navy version is too hard. Most of the WW II Busch shape are too hard now also, after some 70 years.

The USN and Busch shape is not comfortable for me, and for others whom I have asked. The Zeiss shape for their WW II 25 x 100 is comfortable for me and others. The Busch shape presses against the lower part of my cheekbones. I am somewhat dolichocephalic, with a "normal" Caucasian/northwest European face, forehead, and nose.

I made a mold to copy the Zeiss shape, and dozens of sets of aluminum supports for them, to replace the heavy steel of the WW II Busch headrest supports. Those adjustable aluminum supports use the original holes on the top ,which held the small steel male dovetail.

Edited by Gordon Rayner (04/13/13 05:49 PM)

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

#5798937 - 04/14/13 05:17 PM

I Googled "NOS headrest". The returns were for older muscle car seat-mounted whiplash preventers. They do not look like the Busch-US Navy (Kollmorgen, Kollsman, Optic-Electronic, Varo, etc.) shape. ??

Time-Life Books, Alexandria, Virginia, published a series on WW II.
Volume 32 is The Home Front:Germany
Charles Whiting is the author.

ISBN 0-8094-3409-1 or -3, or -3419-9

D757.865 Is that a LC catalog number?

My copy is dated 1982. I bought some 20 volumes of the series at a thrift store a few years ago .

The subject of this thread, and its related equipment, appears with female operators, on pp. 86-87 and p. 93. P. 87 speaks of the Busch type 10 x 80, (in its fork-in-a-fork mount with mil angle readouts), as a "direction indicator, which determined range and altitude", of approaching Allied bombers. Also shown in that chapter are plotting boards, flak gun batteries, rangefinders,searchlights, firemen attempting to extinguish a phosphorus incendiary, and giant ear listening devices.

There was another type of 10 x 80, with 90 deg. inclination ( not the 80 deg inclination type with Kriegsmarine markings and integral fork mount) and integral fork mount , made by Feuss in Vienna, as I recall, which was designed for use with those "giant ears" , whose operators listened for the sound of approaching enemy planes.

The Churchill-Harris night area fire bombing of civilian centers with phosphorus was costly in RAF crews' lives, and had little effect on production of war materiel or civilian morale. Hundreds of thousands of older men, women, and children died. Centuries-old cultural monuments were destroyed.

I wonder if the young women did any 10 x 80 stargazing, which was probably very good in blacked-out wartime conditions , when no bombers were approaching?

Pete Albrecht

Reged: 02/28/07

Re: Telemeter Transformation new [Re: Gordon Rayner]
      #5811059 - 04/20/13 02:34 PM

I see "Aerialist" has hit the big time here on Cloudy Nights I made that headrest and reflex sight mount for him, he provided his own reflex sight because the ones I have are black and he wanted silver.

Looks good!

Re the rubber -- yes, the ones I make are based on unissued US Navy surplus, in answer to Gordon Rayner I have no idea where they were used shipboard but it seems there were two "hardnesses" -- a harder dark gray and the lighter-gray, softer ones which I use. It may depend on the supplier, or maybe they have two hardnesses because one is used where recoil may be an issue (Army, not Navy tank sights? But the tank sight rubber I've seen in pictures doesn't look like that).

Edited by Pete Albrecht (04/21/13 12:14 AM)

Aerialist
journeyman

Reged: 03/19/13

Re: Telemeter Transformation new [Re: Pete Albrecht]
      #5816978 - 04/23/13 08:25 AM

I see Pete has made an appearance in this thread, and yes I did buy the headrest and sight mount from him. Pete is great to work with and a master machinist.

As to the fit of the headrest is is rather tight for me as well but the softness makes it easy to insert my face into it and once in provides better light shielding than the original. Overall I am very pleased with both additions to my refurbished telemeters.

Getting into all the nooks and crannies required a dremel tool and very many of the various attachments for it. Disassembly would have made it much easier, but I was afraid I'd mess up the collimation and filter alignment so I decided to leave it intact for now.

Aerialist
journeyman

Reged: 03/19/13

#5823090 - 04/25/13 08:53 PM

I somewhat wandered in and onto this forum based on my Google search results while looking for information about "flak glasses".

I am by no means an astronomer, or even a star gazer, although I must admit owning this fine set of optics may turn my eyes skyward on clear nights. The Moon is especially awesome viewed through my telemeters.

I'll hang out a bit here waiting for you guys to get excited about the next meteor shower and use my shiny "new" telemeters to catch a falling star.

For most here, the wide field of view of these optics would be the best tool possible for catching sight of of a meteorite annihilating itself in the atmosphere.

One of my wife's most cherished childhood memories was when her Uncle Larry let her look through his telescope, and to her wonder she saw a "falling star" maybe I can give her a repeat of that wondrous moment with my telemeters.

Say, when is the next close encounter with space debris? Let me know and we will be out trying to catch another falling star.

8x60deckmount
journeyman

Reged: 08/04/12

Re: Telemeter Transformation new [Re: Pete Albrecht]
      #5823369 - 04/25/13 11:30 PM

Quote:

I see "Aerialist" has hit the big time here on Cloudy Nights I made that headrest and reflex sight mount for him,

hello sir.
have you ever made a copy of this mount for the 8x60 zeiss ?

Edited by 8x60deckmount (04/25/13 11:31 PM)

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Telemeter Transformation new [Re: 8x60deckmount]
      #5823531 - 04/26/13 02:33 AM

I have seen those. That would be a factory job, starting with a casting.

But perhaps the Nikon 7806 hinge grabber would work, and be lighter, and quicker on/off. It is made for their 10 x 70, so would be adequate for a handheld 8 x 60, even with their larger prisms and eyepieces. It would need an altitude bearing and an azimuth bearing. A fork inside a fork, or a half-fork inside another half-fork, is very good, and allows the center of mass and the elevation axis to coincide, but is not as compact as the picture above.

What are the hinge diameters of of the fat or the tall one? The prewar 60mm CZ Starmorbi turret eyepiece binocular has a similar hinge clamp, as does the postwar CZ West 8 x 60 deckmount torpedo sight. But I want to go to bed, rather than measure. Probably the same bore on the mount for the hinge of the WW II deckmounted 8 x 60( which I do not have).

The hole on the azimuth mount of the WW II CZ 10 x 80 with 80 deg. inclination , with integral fork mount, is the same size as the Starmorbi hole there. I made several mating aluminum shafts, of this apparently standard CZ size.

It would not be surprising to find that the hinge diameters of several of those mentioned are also the same.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3463

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics