http://www.stellaroptical.com/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Daud
sage

Reged: 08/05/06

Loc: AZ, Scottsdale
Re: Why not a Intes/Intes Micro Forum new [Re: rmel66]
      #5734359 - 03/15/13 03:34 PM

IM website still lists Astronomics as their exclusive US dealer...

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
Re: Why not a Intes/Intes Micro Forum new [Re: Daud]
      #5735624 - 03/16/13 07:52 AM Attachment (26 downloads)

Astronomics did become an Intes-Micro dealer a few years ago (after Teton gave it up). They imported a dozen scopes and had them on display at NEAF in 2011, IIRC.

Then they learned that I-M will only ship their scopes in wooden containers and the heavy weight drove up the shipping costs too much. So Mike sold off his inventory and hasn't ordered any more.

I would love to see a forum devoted to Russian optics. My 8" STF-Mirage Mak can hold its own with anything in its size, but I get tired of telling people they have to go to Moscow to get one.

Cheers,

Ron

tomharri
sage

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: USA
Re: Why not a Intes/Intes Micro Forum new [Re: RAKing]
      #5738329 - 03/17/13 10:15 AM

There are just too few Russkies out there, and people are too interested in 'brand names' and not optical quality. Then there is the money factor- these scopes were expensive when new. Of the 3 I've had, got em all used at about 1/2 price of new. Then resold them for what I paid for them.

The Russian scopes taught me that Quality Optics is really what counts in a scope, especially a reflector. All my scopes that contain a mirror are now 1/10 wave or better.

planetmalc
sage

Reged: 10/21/09

Re: Why not a Intes/Intes Micro Forum new [Re: tomharri]
      #5785925 - 04/08/13 12:50 PM

I have the best of both worlds: my Q7 was VERY secondhand and horribly dirty inside, so while I was trying to find someone in the UK to clean it, I acquired a 7" F10 Russian MCT, tapped a suitable hole into its mounting plate and fitted it to the Q7's forkmount -- lovely!

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: Why not a Intes/Intes Micro Forum new [Re: planetmalc]
      #5787344 - 04/09/13 04:13 AM

Quote:

I have the best of both worlds: my Q7 was VERY secondhand and horribly dirty inside, so while I was trying to find someone in the UK to clean it, I acquired a 7" F10 Russian MCT, tapped a suitable hole into its mounting plate and fitted it to the Q7's forkmount -- lovely!

That sounds interesting, did you raise the mounting plate on a block to center the OTA with the setting circles ?
Can you post photos please.

ColoHank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: western Colorado
Re: Why not a Intes/Intes Micro Forum new [Re: Mike E.]
      #5787501 - 04/09/13 07:28 AM

Quote:

That sounds interesting, did you raise the mounting plate on a block to center the OTA with the setting circles ?

That wouldn't be necessary. What's important is that the optical axis should be perpendicular to the mount's declination axis. If that is achieved, and if the optical tube can swing freely between the yoke arms without the eyepiece banging into the base of the mount, the setup should be functional and accurate.

What's problematic is having a spare or empty Q7 mount sitting around unoccupied. I doubt there are many such beasts floating around out there. They're rare to begin with, and very pricey.

planetmalc
sage

#5788007 - 04/09/13 12:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Can you post photos please.

Sadly, I can't post photo's and, no, I didn't bother with any mounting refinement because my unit has the American DC motor and I live in the AC-system UK, so I only ever use the manual slow-motions and relatively low powers. Clearance is fine with this Intes OTA, and it's a breath of fresh air to be able to use the full range of big 2" eyepieces that are available to us nowadays. It's certainly something for Q7 owners to consider if they can get hold of a cheap decent F10 OTA to use in occasional low-power sessions.

Edited by planetmalc (04/09/13 12:43 PM)

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

#5788791 - 04/09/13 05:44 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

In another thread here I posted a UK source for 230v UK to 110v US step down transformers. Here it is again...

www.newmarket-transformers.co.uk

For 52 pounds (roughly $75) you could have your Q7 fork mount up and running, a cheap investment for such a fine piece of equipment.

I live part time in the UK. So far, you are the only other person I've heard of who besides myself, has a Questar 7 here in the UK; it would be interesting to compare the two sometime.

Could you tell us what model your Russian 7" Mak is ?

At the moment, my friend Matthew is selling his Intes 715 Mak on the SGL classifieds; would be interesting to try it in our fork mount before it sells. Just for fun after reading your post, I popped our Intes-Micro Alter M500 Mak into our Q7 fork mount today; I think everyone will agree, its a bit overkill for a 5" scope, LoL.

Hank is right, an unoccupied Questar 7 mount is rare, we should make every effort to use them.

planetmalc
sage

Re: Why not a Intes/Intes Micro Forum [Re: Mike E.]
      #5794379 - 04/12/13 12:52 PM

Quote:

In another thread here I posted a UK source for 230v UK to 110v US step down transformers. Here it is again...

www.newmarket-transformers.co.uk

For 52 pounds (roughly $75) you could have your Q7 fork mount up and running, a cheap investment for such a fine piece of equipment.

I live part time in the UK. So far, you are the only other person I've heard of who besides myself, has a Questar 7 here in the UK; it would be interesting to compare the two sometime.

Could you tell us what model your Russian 7" Mak is ?

At the moment, my friend Matthew is selling his Intes 715 Mak on the SGL classifieds; would be interesting to try it in our fork mount before it sells. Just for fun after reading your post, I popped our Intes-Micro Alter M500 Mak into our Q7 fork mount today; I think everyone will agree, its a bit overkill for a 5" scope, LoL.

Hank is right, an unoccupied Questar 7 mount is rare, we should make every effort to use them.

Thanks for the link, Mike, I'll have a look through it.

My MCT is the Intes-72MK (third one down on this link):-

http://astronom-bg.com/main_files/TAL_files/Intes&Intes-micro%20catalogue...

Some clarification is required regarding my claim about its clearance in the Q7 mount: it's fine for ME 'cos I live at latitude 52.4N, but it wouldn't be OK for those living in the tropics.

My Q7 OTA is a purple-tubed specimen without any star map on the barrel. Paperwork that was included with it included a price list which has some manual underlining on it (presumably done by a previous owner) suggesting that it's got a Pyrex mirror and BB coatings. Serial number is (I think) P-7-699-DP-3B (not very easy to read).

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

#5794750 - 04/12/13 03:27 PM

Mr. Bakker, who frequently posts on this forum, also had a Q7 with the gorgeous mystic purple color. His photos prompted me to order ours without the star charts, which I'm glad I did. Even though the purple anodizing is no longer available, the blue finish we received looks classic also.
Going by our 5" Mak, the Intes scopes seem to have robust housings, the optical tube is 172mm in diameter. Its 45mm wider than the primary mirror. If this follows through with other scopes, I can understand your fork clearance issue as our fork saddle is 210mm wide.

ralphfoss

Reged: 03/25/05

Loc: Bangor, Maine
      #5796180 - 04/13/13 09:11 AM

Your Questar serial number does have a Pyrex mirror as the 'P' The Q7 serial number starts with the type of mirror used, in your case Pyrex. The second digit seems to always be the number '7' meaning it is a Questar 7. This is then followed by the serial number, in your case 699. Most like this Q7 was made sometime between 1988 and 1990 most likely 1988 of 1989. The DP means of course it is Duplex and the 3B as you typed it is most likely BB for Broad Band coatings. I believe to have the star chart and or moon map was an extra expense at the time.

Ralph Foss

planetmalc
sage

Re: Why not a Intes/Intes Micro Forum new [Re: ralphfoss]
      #5796560 - 04/13/13 12:43 PM

Quote:

Your Questar serial number does have a Pyrex mirror as the 'P' The Q7 serial number starts with the type of mirror used, in your case Pyrex. The second digit seems to always be the number '7' meaning it is a Questar 7. This is then followed by the serial number, in your case 699. Most like this Q7 was made sometime between 1988 and 1990 most likely 1988 of 1989. The DP means of course it is Duplex and the 3B as you typed it is most likely BB for Broad Band coatings. I believe to have the star chart and or moon map was an extra expense at the time.

Ralph Foss

Thanks for that, Ralph.

planetmalc
sage

#5796574 - 04/13/13 12:55 PM

Quote:

Mr. Bakker, who frequently posts on this forum, also had a Q7 with the gorgeous mystic purple color. His photos prompted me to order ours without the star charts, which I'm glad I did. Even though the purple anodizing is no longer available, the blue finish we received looks classic also.
Going by our 5" Mak, the Intes scopes seem to have robust housings, the optical tube is 172mm in diameter. Its 45mm wider than the primary mirror. If this follows through with other scopes, I can understand your fork clearance issue as our fork saddle is 210mm wide.

When talking about 'clearance', we may be talking about different things here. The diameter clearance isn't a problem - the barrel of the OTA is only around 205mm - it's the rear-end clearance that's the problem 'cos the eyepiece/prism combo on the back end will foul the base of the forkmount when the OTA is tipped to point towards the zenith. This isn't a problem for equatorial mounting at high latitudes like mine as the OTA is always hanging outboard of the fork's base, but it WOULD be a problem at low latitudes, where the mount becomes more like an altazimuth. As you've realised, these Russian MCT's are beautifully made and performance is exquisite.

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

#5797877 - 04/14/13 06:07 AM

Yes, I was thinking fork saddle clearance.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5591

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics