Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Is Self Centering Adapter better for Collimating? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5837488 - 05/02/13 11:50 PM

Thanks for mentioning that Don - in the excitement of getting a new astro-toy (as witnessed by styrofoam peanuts all over the office floor), that one completely escaped me.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Is Self Centering Adapter better for Collimating? new [Re: precaud]
      #5837635 - 05/03/13 03:56 AM

Quote:

How can it possibly be true that the EP is so tolerant of axial misalignment as you suggest? It makes no sense to me.

Try it, loosen the eyepiece and tilt it while maintaining focus. The amount of tilt possible due to slop is small and does not affect the image...

As I have said before, proper alignment of a cylinder in a tube is best done by seating the shoulder of the eyepiece/adapter/collimator against the top of the focuser drawtube, this ensures that the eyepiece/adapter/collimator is parallel to the drawtube axis.

Jon

Howie Glatter
Vendor

Reged: 07/04/06

Re: Is Self Centering Adapter better for Collimating? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5837674 - 05/03/13 05:40 AM

Hi Jon,

"proper alignment of a cylinder in a tube is best done by seating the shoulder of the eyepiece/adapter/collimator against the top of the focuser drawtube, this ensures that the eyepiece/adapter/collimator is parallel to the drawtube axis."

If the top face of the drawtube is square to the drawtube bore, and the drawtube bore is an accurate cylinder, this is fine.

In the unlikely though possible case that the face of the drawtube is not square with the bore, or if the drawtube bore has any taper, tightening the clamp screw may tip the eyepiece, forcing it out of 360 degree contact with the drawtube face.

precaud
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: north central New Mexico
Re: Is Self Centering Adapter better for Collimating? new [Re: Howie Glatter]
      #5837760 - 05/03/13 08:03 AM

I have four 2" to 1.25" adapters here. Three of them exhibit some combination of a) the top plate not being square to the drawtube, and b) the drawtube bore not being perfectly parallel to the outer adapter wall.

Since, when installed, the tool references the focuser drawtube, the top plate is guaranteed to reflect the inaccuracies of those other surfaces PLUS its own.

PS - I should have said, the Parallizer is the one good one.

SACK

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: TX
Re: Is Self Centering Adapter better for Collimating? new [Re: Howie Glatter]
      #5838816 - 05/03/13 05:45 PM

A good tip there Howie.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1843

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics