Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Celestron 11 inch OTA Pros and Cons ??? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5792119 - 04/11/13 11:01 AM Attachment (57 downloads)

Here's a crop at 50% resolution so the little galaxies can be seen.

-Rich

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gastargazer01

Reged: 12/21/12

Loc: Flowery Branch GA
      #5792275 - 04/11/13 12:32 PM

Nice, it just blows me away that 30 second give you that much light from M51. Thanks for the examples

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: Celestron 11 inch OTA Pros and Cons ??? new [Re: gastargazer01]
      #5792745 - 04/11/13 04:26 PM

Actually, this was only at ISO 12800. I'm still kicking myself for not going further.

-Rich

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
      #5793215 - 04/11/13 08:13 PM

Beautiful images, Rich. I saw your earlier post about your C11 not giving very sharp visual views. I have owned 3 C11's in the past and two behaved much like yours. No matter how good the collimation was or how long I sat out the scope to accilmate to the outside temperature, the visual views were never very sharp and contrasty..especially when viewing planets The one that put up very good visual views was one that I bought through Company 7. I now own a Meade 12' ACF that is excellent visually..much better than all of the C11's I owned.

Bill

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: Celestron 11 inch OTA Pros and Cons ??? new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #5793232 - 04/11/13 08:51 PM

What's even more difficult to understand is how this is combined with extremely good focuser performance (very little focus shift in visual) and no focuser backlash. I've looked for obvious signs of something really being wrong... it's more like it's just never really great.

The older Meade 12' had a hyperstar version. The ACFs don't, so C11 or Edge HD 11 is basically the only game in town these days.

My understanding is the Edge HDs are a totally different critter- they're all ostensibly perfect. Of course, that doesn't make much difference for hyperstar, since it bypasses the internal flattener in the baffle tube.

I've sent in my picture of the hyperstar nebula to Dean at Starizona to see if he's seen it previously.

-Rich

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5794101 - 04/12/13 10:21 AM

Well, I have one answer- the brilliant blue flare is from the corrector when a magnitude 1 or brighter star is in the image. So, that is why I didn't reproduce it on the Pleiades.

Anyway, it puts 22nd magnitude in fairly easy reach, which is a pretty good trick by itself.

-Rich

B. Cook
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/18/10

Loc: No. California
      #5797600 - 04/13/13 10:33 PM

Let me throw something else into the mix. I have a fairly new Atlas EQ-G mount and the Orion 10in newt. My XX14i is finding a new home. To go along with my 10in newt I was considering the Celestron 9.25 HD Edge. How will this go with the 10in Orion as far as visual use only. I was also thinking of a refractor in the 90mm to 127mm range. I like all observing including DSO, Clusters, Planets, Nebulas etc. I try to do a lot of star partys also. That is why I went with the Atlas mount for the tracking because of doing star partys. It is so much easier than the XX14i having to always keep moving it. At big star partys its a pain to keep up with. We sometimes have 100 to 200 parents and kids.
So that's why I need input on the 9.25HD edge or possibly the 11 Inch SCT. What ever I do it will be strictly visual only. The 9.25 would be a lot easier to handle or possibly a refractor. Any suggestion and your thoughts appreciated.
Thanks Bill

Edited by B. Cook (04/13/13 10:38 PM)

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: Celestron 11 inch OTA Pros and Cons ??? [Re: B. Cook]
      #5797766 - 04/14/13 01:24 AM

The C9.25 isn't really so much easier to handle- its the exact same length as a C11. I'd suggest a C8 if that's what you want to do- it can go wider in its field of view.

However, if you really want no-fuss setup with great looking visual images, refractors are hard to beat. Given the learning curve for the lower contrast SCT image, a high contrast refractor image just looks better to the average novice.

-Rich

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3039

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics