Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
Astromount Great Britain
      #5797878 - 04/14/13 06:12 AM

Does anyone have experience with the British built Astromount mounts ( aimed at large refractor users ) ?

http://www.astromount.co.uk/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Astromount Great Britain new [Re: PhilCo126]
      #5798139 - 04/14/13 11:36 AM

At quick glance, for 6000 pound sterling, you would think that they would have had a bit larger saddle. Really small. And they couldn't have come up with a simple cover for the belt drive? Really?

David

korborh
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/29/11

Re: Astromount Great Britain new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5798201 - 04/14/13 12:05 PM

Given its price I do not understand why the open worm wheels!?

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Astromount Great Britain new [Re: korborh]
      #5798289 - 04/14/13 01:15 PM

Based on my experience with my Littlefoot, I would stay far away from any unknown GoTo drive.

The AWR Tech drive may be somewhat better-known in the UK, but it is still a niche drive and there will not be much of a community if you ever need help.

Given the size of the worm wheel (8" in RA) I would guess this mount would have a similar capacity to the AP1200. There is no mount rating on the web site (another red flag for me.. when the specs are not complete you wonder how many they have out there - if any).

Unfortunately there is no mount with a 100+ lb capacity that you can buy for 6000 UKP. So if you need that much capacity and can only spend that much, there isn't much other choice.

I would still rather look for a used AP1200. I know the situation in the UK is worse but they go as low as $7000 USD on astromart.

lambermo
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/16/07

Loc: .nl
Re: Astromount Great Britain new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5798327 - 04/14/13 01:40 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately there is no mount with a 100+ lb capacity that you can buy for 6000 UKP.

I beg to differ. Have a look at my list . For instance look at the Mesu#2 , the AOK WAM 8000 and the Fornax 100 .

-- Hans

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Astromount Great Britain new [Re: lambermo]
      #5798343 - 04/14/13 01:46 PM

Hans, the issue with these mounts is that they also use strange or not-very-common drives. With the exception of the Mesu. And all of these mounts are fairly rare, so the user community is not that large.

Also I am not too thrilled with the weird combination of Servocat + Argo Navis on the Mesu. It is good that the Mesu is now available with SiTech. So in that regard, yes, I would say a Mesu with SiTech is probably a more viable choice than this mount. But personally all of these choices are IMHO in the same category as this Astromount - niche products in an already-tiny market.

John Carruthers
Skiprat

Reged: 02/02/07

Loc: Kent, UK
Re: Astromount Great Britain new [Re: PhilCo126]
      #5802008 - 04/16/13 05:25 AM

I watched the development of the Astromount and had a good look at the finished product at Astrofest, seems a solid mount using proven technology. Alan's drives (AWR founded 1986) are fitted to many professional instruments around the world.

If you have any feedback or suggestions (saddle sizes etc) drop Mathew a line;
http://www.astromount.co.uk/
http://www.facebook.com/Astromount

http://www.awrtech.co.uk/

vdb
sage

Reged: 12/08/09

Re: Astromount Great Britain new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5802072 - 04/16/13 07:26 AM

Quote:

Also I am not too thrilled with the weird combination of Servocat + Argo Navis on the Mesu. It is good that the Mesu is now available with SiTech. So in that regard, yes, I would say a Mesu with SiTech is probably a more viable choice than this mount. But personally all of these choices are IMHO in the same category as this Astromount - niche products in an already-tiny market.

While mesu 1 was a rare product, the 200 isn't they sell like hotcakes and since the scitech controller, production can't keep up.

We have ordered our second one ... been running one of the first mesu 200 with servocat for over a year with hardly a sub lost and this at 2 400mm ...
The new one will be remotely controlled thanks to the new controller.
Best mount price/performance/weigh capacity ... no backlash and a PE so slow you can guide with 5 sec subs ...

I know it's rare outside of Europe due to distribution, I hope it stays that way so waiting lists don't grow out of proportion.

Chanctonbury

Reged: 12/12/07

Loc: Southern England
Re: Astromount Great Britain new [Re: vdb]
      #5874012 - 05/20/13 03:37 PM

The Mesu 200 mount with the SiTech Servo II controller certainly makes for a very compelling purchase. I had one here for review in March and was so impressed with it that I didn't let it go back to the retailer. I measured the PE at 4.37 arcseconds peak to peak (1.22 arcseconds RMS) before PEC.

The SiTech controller is a well respected unit and makes an ideal partner to the Mesu.

jjongmans

Reged: 02/11/12

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Astromount Great Britain new [Re: Chanctonbury]
      #5877402 - 05/22/13 03:47 AM

@Chanctonbury
Where can I find that review?

Chanctonbury

Reged: 12/12/07

Loc: Southern England
Re: Astromount Great Britain new [Re: jjongmans]
      #5878528 - 05/22/13 04:45 PM

@jjongmans

The June edition of the Sky at Night magazine.

saturn1970

Reged: 06/08/11

Re: Astromount Great Britain new [Re: Chanctonbury]
      #5879592 - 05/23/13 05:05 AM

Hi all

I was emailed recently telling me about this thread and asking me to comment.

My name is Matt Armitage and the original Astromount is my concept and design. The vision for this mount – was to produce a very accurate, British made, observatory based telescope mount. For various types of telescopes.

The design is now a collaboration between Alan Buckman of AWR Technology and myself. We wanted to appeal to the serious amateur as well as the professionals and this has been proven to be the case as well as being supplied to schools.

It has been developed over seven years and It was brought to the Astrofest in London for two years as a prototype. The mount design was pulled apart redesigned, CAD modelled and it is now milled on CNC machines and has a load capacity of over 100 kgs. This year the finished mount was launched at the Astrofest 2013 where it was well received.

The reputation for the British AWR drive system precedes it. They have fitted drive systems to 1000’s of amateur and professional telescopes. The intelligent drive system ( fitted to the Astromount ) has been fitted to many telescopes around the world and it has had many 1000’s of operational hours over the last 17 years. This drive system (with different motors) controls telescopes up to 5 tonnes – and it is used in the Royal Observatory at Grenwich London.

The choice of telescope will decide of the style of saddle plate - which can be Vixen, Losmandy or made much more hefty if required.

It was my choice to have exposed belts and gears as this what I prefer – although we have decided to include gear covers within the price if desired.

In the email there was a question about encoders. When you use stepper motors it is not necessary to use encoders in the drive as it is accurate and has more than enough power. Therefore it does not stall and can go repeatedly to where you want, and to a home position. It is easy to synchronise and so set up the working frame matching the sky and your horizon.

Although external encoders can be supplied as an add on to the mount. This increases the accuracy of the pointing as it confirms the readout position. Resolution is 12 arc seconds. (Heidenhain Encoders + gear wheels 10:1 ratio + Quad Decoder box). It is around £1000 fitted.

We are presently talking to the Sky at Night magazine who have confirmed that they will be reviewing the mount this year.

If you have any questions then please ask.

Regards Matt

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
Re: Astromount Great Britain new [Re: saturn1970]
      #5892577 - 05/30/13 02:20 PM

Welcome to the forum Matt... I started this topic as I was searching a mount for a large refractor so still looking forward to the Sky At Night magazine review of the AstroMount...

I also met Lucas Mesu at the RACA 2013 starparty and although the mount is amazing, it probably need another pillar...

Still didn't decide on a mount, waited for the EQ-8 but it looks that "Chinese" mount works with step motors and not with servo motors...

Pages: 1

Extra information
22 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1285

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics