Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1
unitron1500

Reged: 05/02/12

Connecting IP Megapixel Security Camera to ETX-105
      #5798052 - 04/14/13 10:20 AM

I am in the security industry and have access to many different types of megapixel security surveillance cameras that have a c-cs type lens connector. Would anyone chime in here on the best way to connect this type of camera to an ETX-105 telescope? I have seen the AC419 adapter but it looks like you slide the whole setup into the scope without provisioning for various lenses for magnification.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Connecting IP Megapixel Security Camera to ETX-105 new [Re: unitron1500]
      #5799727 - 04/15/13 12:33 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

Start with a C to T adapter (#C2TT) then a projection scope to camera adapter (#TAPP). Remove the T to 1.25 spigot at the scope end of the TAPP. Then fit a large accessory ring (LAR) to the scope and a low profile SCT thread to male T thread adapter (#TASS) to the LAR. The TAPP wil then thread onto the TASS.

The LAR is a Meade accessory. The other items are from ScopeStuff.com. You can put a "wanted" ad in the classifieds and maybe get some of these items used for less.

Images used with permission of Jim Henson @ ScopeStuff

Edited by Geo. (04/16/13 12:36 PM)

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
Re: Connecting IP Megapixel Security Camera to ETX-105 new [Re: Geo.]
      #5800483 - 04/15/13 12:56 PM

I don't know if this solution will be as versatile as what Geo is proposing (the LAR opens you up to the entire world of SCT accessories) but you might be able to lower your parts count with one of these:
(Meade rear port to 1-1/4" female)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251145193774

And one of these:
(C-mount to 1-1/4" male, threaded to accept filters and/or focal reducer)
http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_c2b1.htm

I can't tell you yet how it works as my Meade rear port->1-1/4" adapter is scheduled for delivery today and it's going to rain for the next three days.

unitron1500

Re: Connecting IP Megapixel Security Camera to ETX-105 new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5801649 - 04/15/13 10:18 PM

Thank you both for the tips. Rdandrea ill look forward to the outcome of your shipment? I have heard that the nylon gears strip easy on the etx. The farther off of the back of the scope the camera, the more off balance and the more gear wear. Less may be more if I can keep the camera closer to the scope. Thanks!

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#5802379 - 04/16/13 11:32 AM

OK, here's an update. I received the rear port adapter yesterday afternoon. It's well machined and threads perfectly on the back of my ETX-90 with no slop. It's 1.5" long, including the interior threads, and is just long enough to host a "standard" length eyepiece nosepiece. It also fits the Scopestuff C-mount nosepiece (which I already had) perfectly. It's made of aluminum, anodized black inside and out, with a chrome-plated setscrew. It weighs less than an ounce (0.9). All in all, it's going to do the job just fine, although I'm not going to be pointed at the zenith with my camera attached. That's an ETX problem, not a problem with this adapter which is about as small as it could be and still do the job.

The seller was good, too. I ordered the item late Thursday afternoon his time (he's in Florida) and got a priority mail tracking number back in an hour. Ordered Thursday, received Monday in Colorado, nice job. The item went on sale for $1.50 off over the weekend (it's on sale right now), and I contacted the seller. He refunded me $1.50 with no static.

Good part, good seller. I'm a happy camper. Now if the sky would just clear...

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5802568 - 04/16/13 12:52 PM

Quote:

Good part, good seller. I'm a happy camper. Now if the sky would just clear...

Pretty sure you are dealing with the fellow that did much of the machining for the now defunct Scopetronix.

Glad you asked the question as I hadn't thought about using a video cam on the ETX. It seems I have all the adapters to pull it off.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Connecting IP Megapixel Security Camera to ETX-105 new [Re: Geo.]
      #5802775 - 04/16/13 01:55 PM

Quote:

Pretty sure you are dealing with the fellow that did much of the machining for the now defunct Scopetronix.

I found some 2007 threads in the CN Archives and on Weasner's to that effect. And yep, this adapter looks just like the Scopetronix model. The bag has a "Modern Photonics" sticker on it.

And for the OP--he sells a C-mount nosepiece as well although the one from Scopestuff is cheaper and comes with free shipping.

Edited by rdandrea (04/16/13 04:48 PM)

unitron1500

#5803959 - 04/17/13 05:33 AM

What are you using for a camera? And yes if the sky would only clear up.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#5804262 - 04/17/13 10:22 AM

I'm using a 5 megapixel Amscope microscope camera. I replaced the microscope nosepiece with a C-mount nosepiece from Scopestuff. Forget the sky clearing up. Woke up this morning to 5" of snow on the ground, one of my antennas down, and more coming. And this is the desert.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1759

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics