Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: CGE issues.. new [Re: jbalsam]
      #5780215 - 04/05/13 05:33 PM

Motor encoder? Easy to ding when doing the mod if not careful. The plug ports are an easy test as the two stock ones are interchangeable and just plug onto the controller board.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Frank
sage

Reged: 01/18/09

Loc: Netherlands
Re: CGE issues.. new [Re: EFT]
      #5788416 - 04/09/13 03:05 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is one of the many benefits of Gary Bennett's replacement cable kits, you get more than just new bullet proof external cables and connectors.

This is actually how I got into this mess.
I did the cable mod myself...must have gotten a wire or two crossed, and down came my mount. has not worked right since.
I have replaced/repaired everything back to STOCK condition just because I could not find the fault in my wiring(and actually, there may have never been one. it just happened that my mount decided to develop issues precisely at the same time as when I performed the cable mod..)..

You have to be very careful with the cable mod. There are some boards in some mounts that are mislabeled so that the connections indicated on one side of the board are different than the markings on the other side of the board. If you use the markings on the wrong side of the board, you fry the motor board. Even I have done this. You have to look at Gary's instructions in regards to the two different boards and determine which one you have and then be very careful to wire it correctly.

I didn't realize that you had done the cable mod. If the problems started occurring right after the mod, then it is likely that you fried the motor board and will have to replace it.

See the pictures attached: this is the mislabelling on the boards, causing my boards to end in blue smoke. Terrible!

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: CGE issues.. new [Re: Frank]
      #5788429 - 04/09/13 03:08 PM

Yep. That's it and it's gotten a lot of people, including me.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5789327 - 04/09/13 11:05 PM

Note to self: Look at the *front* of the board when deciding which side to connect which harness to.

Regards,

Jim

Frank
sage

Reged: 01/18/09

Loc: Netherlands
Re: CGE issues.. new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5789468 - 04/10/13 01:31 AM

You're right ...

The problem with the CGE boards: after installation in the column, only the back side is visible. Excactly there is where I made 'my' mistake (actually, a Celestron mistake). Waiting for a new board took months and months (as I'm living in Europe, I do not have access to the Celestron spare parts web shop (only assible by US citizens).

Edited by Frank (04/10/13 01:31 AM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5791519 - 04/10/13 10:58 PM

Frankie, next time you need a little sumthin' sumthin' from Celstron US' parts store, you let your uncle Jim know and we'll see what we can do about hookin' you up.

- Jim

jbalsam
sage

Reged: 07/06/12

Loc: Darnestown, MD
Re: CGE issues.. [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5798142 - 04/14/13 11:37 AM

Good grief. I never heard about the mislabeling on the boards. Makes me glad that when I switched out my board I didn't pay attention to the labels, I just switched one cable at a time from the old board to the new board to make sure they went into the same sockets.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1297

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics