Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: West Hills, CA
VX vs. CG-5
      #5799149 - 04/14/13 07:12 PM

My apologies if this has been asked before.

I have a CG-5 vintage 2003 (I did upgrade the handset to the latest version) that I'm reasonably satisfied with.

Does it make sense for me to buy a VX mount? I am *strictly* a visual observer.

What would make it worth it to me is to have more consistent alignment setups. I do find that at times my CG-5 is way off on alignment stars (although sometimes after aligning it's very accurate) and other times it can be close on alignment stars but quite a bit inaccurate afterwards. Not always or even most times--but it's annoying to have to set up a couple of times in order to get it right.

PLEASE no alternative mount suggestions like Optron, CGEM, fork mounts or Atlas. VX or status quo is my dilemma.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: VX vs. CG-5 new [Re: Stelios]
      #5799661 - 04/14/13 11:43 PM

The VX has a few more robust features.. If alignment is your issue, preorder the Celestron StarSense accessory. It's slated to come out in July. But at $329 for the starsense, that's a nice DP on a VX.. but if the alignment is user error, (set up, tear down, bad polar alignment will cause bad initial alignment stars) then the vx won't fix that.. but the starsense will

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5799662 - 04/14/13 11:43 PM

I'd say that inconsistency in the accuracy of your CG5 is NOT normal for the mount. You could consider either anew VX or a new CG5 (on clearance for $550), and get rid of the inaccuracy issue you describe. The VX and a properly functioning CG5 should be pretty much identical in the accuracy department IMO. They're very similar mounts.

Regards,

Jim

bilgebayModerator
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmari...
Re: VX vs. CG-5 new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5799847 - 04/15/13 02:49 AM

Stelios - I found resetting the Hand Control to factory settings cures this kind of goto problems. It is cumbersome to enter your lat-long etc but after that the gotos become very good.

Other than the joy of buying something new, I cannot think of a reason for you to upgrade to VX since you are visual.... maybe a bit less noisy according to the reports I have read here on CN and some youtube videos.

Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: West Hills, CA
Re: VX vs. CG-5 new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5801935 - 04/16/13 02:37 AM

Thanks guys. I'll try resetting, Sedat, although my handcontrol is less than a year old and initially worked perfectly.

There's no user errors in alignment--I've done it a thousand times, and always sight Polaris through the mount hole, balance, start with home position, have accurate time and coordinates and know my alignment stars, and always approach with the up and right buttons. The problem I'm describing is bizarre--either the alignment stars are quite far (several degrees) from the slews *but* after centering them everything is great, *or* the alignment stars are almost dead on, but subsequent GoTo's are off (this is the bad case). And neither problem occurs on a constant basis--maybe one in three combined.

I fully intend to buy a StarSense when they come out, saves me neck twisting *and* time, but if the issue is with the mount it won't help although it'll be easy to retry.

pjensen

Reged: 04/08/12

Loc: Highland Village, Tx
      #5802116 - 04/16/13 08:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys. I'll try resetting, Sedat, although my handcontrol is less than a year old and initially worked perfectly.

There's no user errors in alignment--I've done it a thousand times, and always sight Polaris through the mount hole, balance, start with home position, have accurate time and coordinates and know my alignment stars, and always approach with the up and right buttons.

Is it possible that the OTA is not mounted in the exact same spot on the dovetail (or varies from session to session)? This could possibly cause the pointing model (that is stored in the computer) to be wrong. The reset removes all these stored values (and starts fresh).

When I had trouble with goto accuracy, I did the reset and it fixed the problem.

bilgebayModerator
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmari...
Re: VX vs. CG-5 new [Re: pjensen]
      #5802126 - 04/16/13 08:36 AM

That's very likely. As I am continously changing OTAs it happens to me every now and then. Resetting gives me a tabula rasa to start with and everything goes back to normal.

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 675

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics