Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
Orion XT6 focuser (question for user/former user)
      #5802361 - 04/16/13 11:18 AM

I have a question about the focuser on the Orion XT6 OTA i recently acquired. The focuser is rather stiff. If anyone knows how to adjust it, it would be appreciated, PM me if ya want....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Orion XT6 focuser (question for user/former user) new [Re: moynihan]
      #5802913 - 04/16/13 03:11 PM

The first thing I would try is loosening the two screws that secure the plate that holds the focus knobs and shaft. If more than snug it could cause the hard turning of the knobs. Also, you may consider cleaning out whatever lube may be in it (Synta goop?) and relubing with a light grease only on the rack, the pinion, and the points where the shaft rides on the focuser body. The focuser tube rides on teflon strips inside the body, so no need to lube the tube surface.

Ed D

Edited by Ed D (04/16/13 03:20 PM)

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Orion XT6 focuser (question for user/former user) new [Re: Ed D]
      #5803226 - 04/16/13 05:40 PM

Check the larger knurled set screw on the top/back of the body.

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
Re: Orion XT6 focuser (question for user/former user) new [Re: Ed D]
      #5803477 - 04/16/13 08:20 PM

Quote:

The first thing I would try is loosening the two screws that secure the plate that holds the focus knobs and shaft. If more than snug it could cause the hard turning of the knobs. Also, you may consider cleaning out whatever lube may be in it (Synta goop?) and relubing with a light grease only on the rack, the pinion, and the points where the shaft rides on the focuser body. The focuser tube rides on teflon strips inside the body, so no need to lube the tube surface.

Ed D

loosening those 2 screws (actually, 4 on mine), seems to have eased it. Thanks.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Orion XT6 focuser (question for user/former user) new [Re: moynihan]
      #5803518 - 04/16/13 08:52 PM

Quote:

I have a question about the focuser on the Orion XT6 OTA i recently acquired. The focuser is rather stiff. If anyone knows how to adjust it, it would be appreciated, PM me if ya want....

In my experience, the Synta rack and pinion focusers all can be significantly improved so that they are smooth, free and tight.. This is how it do it:

Reworking a Synta Rack and Pinion Focuser

Bob Riggs
sage

Reged: 01/04/06

Loc: S/Central Montana
Re: Orion XT6 focuser (question for user/former user) new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5810761 - 04/20/13 12:14 PM

Good thread Moynahan, and thank you Jon for the link to the older thread.

Clear skies all...

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: Orion XT6 focuser (question for user/former user) new [Re: Bob Riggs]
      #5810843 - 04/20/13 12:59 PM

Quote:

In my experience, the Synta rack and pinion focusers all can be significantly improved so that they are smooth, free and tight.. This is how it do it:

IMO, this is true, however, IMO, you'd be much better off getting a completely new focuser like I did. I removed that thing which my friends joked about having to need a pair of vice grips to operate. The difference is like night and day since I got rid of it and got myself a real crayford focuser. Another good option is going to a 2 speed for more precise focusing when needed.

precaud
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: north central New Mexico
Re: Orion XT6 focuser (question for user/former user) new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5811647 - 04/20/13 07:52 PM

Quote:

I removed that thing which my friends joked about having to need a pair of vice grips to operate.

Nothing like peer pressure to inflate/deflate one's sense of value of something...

After a simple cleanup, re-lube, adjustment of the two tension screws, and putting on one larger knob, mine is very smooth and slop-free. I haven't felt any need to upgrade it.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Orion XT6 focuser (question for user/former user) new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5811996 - 04/20/13 10:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

IMO, this is true, however, IMO, you'd be much better off getting a completely new focuser like I did. I removed that thing which my friends joked about having to need a pair of vice grips to operate. The difference is like night and day since I got rid of it and got myself a real crayford focuser. Another good option is going to a 2 speed for more precise focusing when needed.

Well...

Did you first rework you focuser with the Teflon and all so you can make a real comparison? If your focuser was so stiff that your friends joked about needing vice grips, it needed help. To me, for a $300 telescope, it doesn't really make sense to spend $150 to upgrade the focuser. One could have purchased an 8 inch F/6 with a two speed Crayford and had money in the bank. A couple of more points:

- It's worth noting that the really good focusers are rack and pinion. Astro-Physics, Takahashi, TEC, TeleVue, they're all rack and pinion. The rework suggested doesn't turn the focuser into a high end focuser but it will be tight, smooth and relatively light. And it will be more positive than a Crayford.

- At F/8, the depth of focus is sufficient that a 2 speed focuser is unnecessary.

Jon

Pages: 1

Extra information
12 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 463

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics