Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/28/13

Loc: Kingwood, TX
Super C8 Tripod Repair
      #5803209 - 04/16/13 05:37 PM

First of all, let me say I searched both the live forums and the archives and I couldn't find anything. I also searched both "Mounts" and "Equipment" and figured this belonged here more than there. Mods, please move if you disagree.

I just bought a Super C8 and the tripod has broken leg extenson QR mechanisms. Actually, the plastic pieces they attached to are in various states of being broken.

Has anybody found or created a solution to this? I'm assuming this is not uncommon as I found several that were broken to one degree or another in my searches for a scope.

I've got a few ideas for a fix, but it will require a fair amount of work and will likely end up costing about half as much as another used tripod (although still subject to breakage). I just thought I'd ask here before I spend the money on material and tooling and a fair amount of time.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ScottAz
Fleet Navigator

Reged: 02/06/05

Loc: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Re: Super C8 Tripod Repair new [Re: Geo31]
      #5803323 - 04/16/13 06:33 PM

Hi George,

I bought a damaged Ultima C8 (some time ago) and replaced its broken tripod (it had one very messed up leg that had given way to crash the whole scope) with a modified tripod from a GPS11. I still have the old tripod & parts somewhere hereabouts ... if you decide to fix your tripod, shoot me a picture or two of what you need and I'll see if there might be anything useful for you to "cannibalize."

Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super C8 Tripod Repair new [Re: ScottAz]
      #5804310 - 04/17/13 10:46 AM

Thanks Scott. I'm away from the house for a few evenings this week, but when I can get a few pics in the next couple of days I'll post them.

WonderMellon

Reged: 11/26/11

Loc: Maryland
      #5805500 - 04/17/13 09:13 PM

I have a similar issue with a Celestar I picked up. My solution was to defork it and put it on a CG-5. I can understand if that is something you are not interested in. While researching the issue on Google, I found a link that mentioned a particular bicycle seat clamp was the perfect fit for the legs. I am sorry I do not have access to the link right now. You may try a google search to see if you can find it. They mentioned it was very sturdy and inexpensive.

WonderMellon

Reged: 11/26/11

Loc: Maryland
Re: Super C8 Tripod Repair new [Re: WonderMellon]
      #5805876 - 04/17/13 11:33 PM

Turns out the link was right here on CN... go figure.

Here you go:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5358938/Main...

Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super C8 Tripod Repair new [Re: WonderMellon]
      #5806011 - 04/18/13 01:49 AM

Awesome link! I'd already found various 34.9mm QR Mountain bike seat post clamps. They are for sure my back-up plan. In the case of my tripod, when the QR clamps broke, they took out some of the surrounding housing. I think I can still use them but I have a possible solution drawn up on my white board at work. I just need to get my drill press out of my shop where we work on our race car. I have possible solution drawn up using ABS plastic and can be created wit woodworking tools (Fostner bits, router, and pattern bits).

I was hoping beyond hope someone already had a repair kit. I also am going to work up a drawing on emachineshop.com and see what their price is.

I sure do appreciate the suggestion. If anyone else knows of a solution, I'm interested. If I don't have to reinvent the wheel, that would be great.

Edited by Geo31 (04/18/13 01:50 AM)

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5806579 - 04/18/13 12:49 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

The Super and mosy Ultimas came on different tripods. Then there were two types of clamping mechanisms on the Super C8 type. I was working with a fellow to come up with a complicated solution when he found these on eBay.

There are available in three sizes.

Edited by Geo. (04/18/13 12:50 PM)

Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super C8 Tripod Repair new [Re: Geo.]
      #5806965 - 04/18/13 03:41 PM

Yep, those (or very similar) are what I've found. They are my fall-back. I'll post some pohtos tonight of my tripod. They will explain why the above are not my ideal solution.

BTW Geo., where are you from in Upstate NY? I am originally from Rochester. When I was in my early-mid teens I spent most clear nights one summer using the observatory on the roof of the planetarium there. A friend and I would spend the night. We had key privileges and one set of parents would drop us off about 30-45 minutes before nightfall and the other set would pick us up in the morning. I've got some fond memories of that summer.

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 499

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics