Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
vorkus
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/18/10

Loc: Pgh, PA USA
gemini 2 controller conflict? new
      #5801806 - 04/15/13 11:59 PM

I was hoping someone could help me. I just got a new G11. So far I tested everything inside; first using the hand controller and then the ethernet web interface. I took the whole thing outside tonight and had issues. When I connected via ASCOM, it didn't seem to start with my configuration. For example it thought it was a Titan not a G11. I was wondering if the hand controller and the web interface conflict with one another. I had both connected.

I also connected and disconnected ASCOM several times switching between tools: CDC and EQAlign. During my process of polar aligning I had a couple of weird slews where the scope was pointed at the ground. I reset to CWD which wasn't right and had to manually move the axis to the correct position. Any ideas? Could one of the tools I was using be assuming a different location (long,lat)?

Thanks for your help!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rossmon
sage

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: Marin County, CA
Re: gemini 2 controller conflict? new [Re: vorkus]
      #5801905 - 04/16/13 01:56 AM

Hi John,

First I would join the losmandy and gemini 2 yahoo groups where you will get very good help from those of us only concerned with these mounts and their positioning systems. We don't spend bandwidth comparing them to all comers or being overly moderated(IMHO!).
Us long term Gemini2 beta team members led by Tom Hilton, and Rene(chief SW/HW engineer) all pretty much live over there.
I just happened to check here for the first time in a while myself. One early thing to do is to find and mark the true CWD position of your mount! here's the link... http://gemini-2.com/downloads/pdf/magiccwdposition.pdf
along with everything else are on http://www.gemini-2.com/
Congratulations on your new mount, you have a fine instrument and just as important you will soon meet ma great group of people.. I myself have no real need of ascom so I am the wrong person for that. The web interface and HC both talk to the same gemini2 HW so a setting like defining the proper mount HW as the G11 should be the same from either the web control or the hc. The cwd position will allow you to make a permanent mark on the ra and dec axii (get some white paint!) where your first goto bright star should always be right on the crosshairs or as close as you want to get it.
Note your firmware level in the web screen, reset your sram, wait wait,
goto gemini2.com and read everything there! It will take a day or two but then you will start to grok your mount! Tom spent a lot of time, just for folks like you!
See you there!

Rossmon aka Just Ross

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: gemini 2 controller conflict? new [Re: Rossmon]
      #5801916 - 04/16/13 02:14 AM

OK, I think what you have is corrupt SRAM and maybe weak on board battery. You can reset the SRAM from the web interface, can't remember exactly where, I am in the office now. Just dig around and you will find it. There is also on the web interface a nice battery level indicator, that should tell you if your battery died on your while it was on the shelf in the shop.

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: gemini 2 controller conflict? new [Re: vorkus]
      #5802167 - 04/16/13 09:14 AM

They shouldn't conflict. However, the driver can be a little quirky as you discovered (pointing at the ground). My routine is to have the hand controller completely setup and do my alignment via that. Then, I connect via ASCOM. Your ASCOM driver needs to be set not to push its data to the mount... if it is, it'll do something the same thing causing you to point at the wrong thing.

I never had issues controlling all three methods at once (web, ASCOM, hand controller).

Oh, and make sure you have the most recent drivers (www.gemini-2.com). My last issue was due to having outdated ascom drivers.

Good luck,

vorkus
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/18/10

Loc: Pgh, PA USA
Re: gemini 2 controller conflict? [Re: Raginar]
      #5803453 - 04/16/13 08:00 PM

Thanks everyone.

Rossmon: I went through all of that more than once even before I bought the mount. Not fond of YGs. I will if I can't find answers elsewhere.

Hilmi: I'll check that. Seems to me I found that screen and it was okay.

Raginar: That might be it. I will go hunting for that setting and make sure it doesn't push to the mount.

Pages: 1

Extra information
23 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 387

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics