Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
Re: A new printable atlas - Deep Sky Hunter new [Re: Michael11]
      #5780991 - 04/06/13 01:03 AM

Hi Michael,

This is really a nice atlas. I love it. Thank you so much for making this available.

It will get a lot of use here, guaranteed!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Michael11
sage

Reged: 06/24/06

Loc: Israel
Re: A new printable atlas - Deep Sky Hunter new [Re: core]
      #5781167 - 04/06/13 05:42 AM

Thanks again for your kind feedback

Quote:

I printed a couple of charts on 11"x17" (92% scaling) and 13"x19" (109% scaling), and they're looking great! Letter size scale is a little cramped for me for field use

I printed the atlas on A4, and gave it a "test drive" today. It is usable (did it for 7 hours under a red light without any problem). However it will definitely look nicer on A3.

Michael11
sage

#5782135 - 04/06/13 04:19 PM

I've added a 35 page list of deep sky objects, based on SAC database, formatted for A3 page and sorted by name. They are limited to magnitude 14 (inc. objects without listed magnitude) - which is the same as in atlas. Also there is a limit to declination -60 (which is the same as atlas "north" version). I must admit that there isn't 100% match between this list and all the objects plotted, but it's relatively close

http://www.deepskywatch.com/files/deepsky-atlas/Deep-Sky-Hunter-atlas-object-...

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

#5782187 - 04/06/13 04:55 PM

Thanks for of the work you have been doing and a big thanks for making it available... Tony

Maau the Lynx

Reged: 10/08/08

Re: A new printable atlas - Deep Sky Hunter new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5782846 - 04/06/13 10:50 PM

Michael, Big thanks for beautiful atlas & dso guide. Printed it on A3. Looks nicer than any other atlas i own.

A4 guide has urano atlas page number included. Can you also include such reference column indicating new DSHA A3 atlas page number too in dso list ? Me already halfway through creating messier list by Ctrl+F in the pdf. I guess u must be having faster method at ur disposal for exhaustive 7k DSO list.

Michael11
sage

Re: A new printable atlas - Deep Sky Hunter new [Re: Maau the Lynx]
      #5783354 - 04/07/13 09:08 AM

Quote:

Michael, Big thanks for beautiful atlas & dso guide. Printed it on A3. Looks nicer than any other atlas i own.

A4 guide has urano atlas page number included. Can you also include such reference column indicating new DSHA A3 atlas page number too in dso list ? Me already halfway through creating messier list by Ctrl+F in the pdf. I guess u must be having faster method at ur disposal for exhaustive 7k DSO list.

Thanks.
Actually I don't really have a fast method for rearranging it into A3 format. I'll just post the original Excel file, you are welcome to arrange it in any way which suits you
http://www.deepskywatch.com/files/deepsky-atlas/7000dsolist.xls

Maau the Lynx

Reged: 10/08/08

#5783487 - 04/07/13 10:30 AM

Michael, actually in my earlier post, i meant to have an extra column with DSHA chart numbers like u2k chart numbers in column J. With such a clutter free atlas by you, u2k will not accompany on field anymore. For me, its superseded by your atlas for all practical purposes! With such a large list of objects, manual entry is difficult.

Michael11
sage

Re: A new printable atlas - Deep Sky Hunter new [Re: Maau the Lynx]
      #5798753 - 04/14/13 04:26 PM

I've made a few minor updates - now DSOs which are marked with a star (*) include SAC's best of NGC objects, in addition to Messier, Caldwell and Herschel 400 ones (overall 500-600 objects). Also some corrections to labels were made. This is useful if you want to surf for the brighter DSOs, without getting lost in the clutter of fainter objects. The updated version is at my site.

There is an additional list available now, also formatted for A3 - which was also taken from my old DSO guide. It is 20 pages with pictures of ~700 best deep sky objects, which, among others, include all "best" objects marked with a star in the atlas and can be used as additional reference.

Can be downloaded here: http://www.deepskywatch.com/files/deepsky-atlas/Deep-Sky-Hunter-DSO-images.pdf

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

Re: A new printable atlas - Deep Sky Hunter [Re: Michael11]
      #5803638 - 04/16/13 10:23 PM

I am going to download this all... amazing work! How you do this is beyond me. I marvel at people with your abilities. You deserve to be published with work like this. Thank you!

Michael11
sage

Re: A new printable atlas - Deep Sky Hunter new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5810084 - 04/20/13 05:48 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

Thanks, however my work was mainly compiling and post editing software-produced printouts.

By the way, I found out that sometimes chart number 20 is printed without labels (if the whole atlas is fed into printer). This can be fixed by printing this chart separately. I'll try to fix it using a different PDF editor.

I'm also thinking of a similar project, but on smaller scale (10-20 pages A4 atlas), since I realised that this one is a bit too heavy for some observers.

Anyway I've got a tip how to bind laminated A3 sheets using a metal ring binder (It was hard to find a spiral-binder for A3 sheets). So this is a result I got.

p.s. I've made some more corrections, mainly to navigation labels and a few missing grid coordinates.

opticsguy
sage

Reged: 02/02/09

Loc: Washington State
      #5814958 - 04/22/13 10:27 AM

I am thinking to go to the printer store and print out some of the charts, kind of a test before comitting to the full atlas. How do you print two sided?

Michael11
sage

Re: A new printable atlas - Deep Sky Hunter new [Re: opticsguy]
      #5821264 - 04/25/13 02:59 AM

Quote:

I am thinking to go to the printer store and print out some of the charts, kind of a test before comitting to the full atlas. How do you print two sided?

I just asked them to print it in "duplex", for left hand binding (However it's called). Note that if printing the whole PDF - it's a good idea to send 20-40 pages to the printer each time, otherwise it might get really slow.

Unknownastron
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Sout...
      #5829330 - 04/28/13 11:17 PM

I'm have a print order for the atlas and database due for completion by Tuesday. I look forward to breaking it in at the Texas Star Party. Thanks for all your generous work. This is one of the most useful atlas' I have seen.
Clear skies and clean glass,
Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2981

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics