Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Video and Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1
rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/24/06

Loc: Crozet VA 22932
Video Monitor Candidate Suggestions new
      #5801570 - 04/15/13 09:35 PM

My little B&W 12V 5 inch monitor is getting shaky but love it (its a diving camera monitor with throughput); my Sanyo color monitor is a power hog and heavy; a little Heier had terrible connections and died of several maladies. Not everything lasts for years and years, so its time to make a move to improve. So, I am looking for B&W and color solutions that some of you might suggest, and perhaps others would like to review the bidding also.

First, I like a small power-light 12V B&W monitor, anywhere from 5 to 12 inches, because they are hearty, use little power, have usually have wide dynamic range for intensity (you can turn them way down), but they still must deliver good images like my dying one does. Anyone have any suggestions? Because the a 5 inch is so light, it can virtually be taken and packed anywhere. I might, however, still get another 10 or 12 inch because the high res B&W image is often very good and relatively light/portable. Suggestions for the smaller or larger?

Second, a small high res color monitor to make the MallinCAM Hyper Color deliver everything it has is always nice. I don't need huge or heavy. It has been awhile since I have reviewed what people use, but I need to get something that delivers and is a little lighter than the Sanyo.

Thanks for reading. Any links or comments would be appreciated. If this subject has already been recently reviewed, send me to the right thread. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

Re: Video Monitor Candidate Suggestions new [Re: rolandlinda3]
      #5802092 - 04/16/13 07:53 AM

Roland,

I'd suggest SONY DVP-FX970 (9" wide 800x480 TFT LCD - DVD Player with rechargeable battery, used as monitor). Search fleabay item 261131370663 (mfg refrub, 1 yr parts&labor warranty), about $90 shipped.

In non-stretched 4:3 mode, the LCD resolution is approx. 600x480.

Note: model specific, many other models do not have composite video in capability.
(Buy only you need, let others have an opportunity to buy their own...)

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Video Monitor Candidate Suggestions new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #5802373 - 04/16/13 11:26 AM

I bought one of these on CSS advise and works so good bought another for back up.. The display is awesome and battery life seems to go on forever, Kasey

rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

Re: Video Monitor Candidate Suggestions new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5803663 - 04/16/13 10:40 PM

Thanks very much. Will look this one up and try to grab it. Still need one with patch through capability so any other suggestions of what is good...I will take.

ccs_hello
Postmaster

Re: Video Monitor Candidate Suggestions [Re: rolandlinda3]
      #5803819 - 04/17/13 01:05 AM

Video loop-thru is a professional monitor's hallmark. But will you be willing to pay 20% mark-up for that feature, or simply buy an inexpensive video distribution amplifier and call it a day?

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

#5808782 - 04/19/13 02:21 PM

Is there one that works on 12V that you recommend?

jim molinari

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: California
      #5808987 - 04/19/13 04:04 PM

I have a 5" BW (12v) monitor purchased several years back to use with my Mallincam. It is sitting in my closet seeing no use. It is barely used and in excellent condition. I have been using a 3.5" Watec LCD monitor instead. If you are interested, I can provide photos and more info. I am willing to entertain any offer that covers shipping.
Jim

ccs_hello
Postmaster

#5809634 - 04/19/13 09:25 PM

That Sony device lives under Li-Ion rechargeable battery. It also comes with AC110V to DC9.5V power adapter.

In CN's equipment forum, there are few DIY project threads on a DIY 12V DC to (a lower DC voltage) converter. E.g., this CN thread.

There may be some commercial products (12V DC to 9v or 9.5V step-down/buck converter) as well. Fleabay 380586922019 ($3.69) can be a good starting point.
Also this fleabay item 181059065642 or 181059054638 looks cool.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

#5833242 - 04/30/13 09:27 PM

Boy, the "devil is in the details". Finding the model with the composite input is not so simple. Most don't have it.

ccs_hello
Postmaster

#5833249 - 04/30/13 09:31 PM

Roland,

Use the model I mentioned. I studied quite a bit.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

A. Viegas
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
      #5833281 - 04/30/13 09:47 PM

I also have the same SONY DVP-FX970 and I keep it out with my CPC 1100 in the backyard under a Telegizmo cover. When I was getting back into the hobby this time last year, my wife was always giving me that "look" when the UPS or Fedex guy dropped off packages. Funny enough, when I got this little DVD player, I said we could use it for the kids to watch videos in the car on weekend trips to our summer house... that made it officially a NON astro toy which was an added bonus to the fact that I use it ONLY for astro and mostly just to align the telescope or for quick previews, yet I must admit that the 800x600 resolution is great and its very easy to use and the battery does last 3-4 hours without any problem with continuous use. I think the problem is finding one now because they are discontinued... but if you check out Amazon, or Ebay I think you can find used or 'open box' items...

look here: Amazon link

Cheers,
Al

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  csa/montana, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 779

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics