Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
cnahm

Reged: 11/21/07

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
EdgeHD 8 mounting new
      #5802935 - 04/16/13 03:25 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

I received an EdgeHD 8 OTA, and am trying to figure out exactly what I need to intall it on my Stellarvue MG2 alt-az mount. I believe the saddle which is standard with the mount is most likely Vixen/CG5 style (the two screws are 1.5" apart), so an ADM Dual-VM saddle could work to utilize the Edge's larger dovetail ? I do have the Celestron CG5/Vixen dovetail as well, but it doesn't match up to the screws along the back of the OTA.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: EdgeHD 8 mounting new [Re: cnahm]
      #5802972 - 04/16/13 03:46 PM

I'd email ADM and give them your specifications, bolt spacing, etc...or call Stellarvue and get their recommendation.

Patrick

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: EdgeHD 8 mounting new [Re: Patrick]
      #5803037 - 04/16/13 04:33 PM

It comes with either a Losmandy D or Vixen dovetail. If you ordered the Vixen style, it will work.

Seiko4169
sage

Reged: 07/04/09

Re: EdgeHD 8 mounting new [Re: rmollise]
      #5803201 - 04/16/13 05:35 PM

Yep, that looks like a vixen mount size. I ordered my edge with the larger dovetail. Then needed the ADM vixen.

cnahm

Re: EdgeHD 8 mounting new [Re: Seiko4169]
      #5803463 - 04/16/13 08:09 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Quote:

Yep, that looks like a vixen mount size. I ordered my edge with the larger dovetail. Then needed the ADM vixen.

Yeah, one would think, but with the screws that came with it, and the Vixen dovetail, there just seems to be no way to get them to line up. And there's no other hardware included. The only thing I can think of is this OTA is somewhere around 2 years old, and I wonder if they weren't drilled with another set of screw holes for Vixen/CG5 back then.

On a side note, does anyone know the spacing for the screw holes for installing ADM saddles (in particular the Dual-VM)? The MG2 has 1.5" in between, and maybe I could go with an ADM saddle for the larger dovetail if all else fails.

Another pic of the dovetail attached.

Edited by cnahm (04/16/13 08:16 PM)

cnahm

#5803742 - 04/16/13 11:50 PM

I suppose I could also get a pair of Parallax rings, and use either dovetail. I could also then maybe mount my Telrad on them.

Hmmmm.... that could be a good option....

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5804355 - 04/17/13 11:13 AM

The bolt spacing on the mount is almost certainly 35mm, not 1.5 inches. There are ADM saddles with a 35mm spacing. You would also need to know whether the bolts are M6 or M8 (probably M8). That would probably be the best way to go. A vixen dovetail would require radius blocks in order to work on the OTA.

Seiko4169
sage

Reged: 07/04/09

#5804744 - 04/17/13 03:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, one would think, but with the screws that came with it, and the Vixen dovetail, there just seems to be no way to get them to line up. And there's no other hardware included. The only thing I can think of is this OTA is somewhere around 2 years old, and I wonder if they weren't drilled with another set of screw holes for Vixen/CG5 back then.

On a side note, does anyone know the spacing for the screw holes for installing ADM saddles (in particular the Dual-VM)? The MG2 has 1.5" in between, and maybe I could go with an ADM saddle for the larger dovetail if all else fails.

Another pic of the dovetail attached.

You need the ADM vixen bar for Celestrons, it comes with two small wedges that connect to the OTA and then the wedges connect to the vixen bar.

The front just has a longer screw that goes through the wedge and into the OTA. The rear as you can guess is for the issue you have.

Pat at home
sage

Reged: 03/16/07

Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Ca...
Re: EdgeHD 8 mounting new [Re: Seiko4169]
      #5805275 - 04/17/13 07:10 PM

The 35 mm hole spacing is the same as on my Duo-T. I replaced the exact same side saddle you have with an ADM DV saddle designated for Takahashi. 30 second switch over, unbolt the stock saddle and use the same bolts to mount the ADM.

cnahm

Re: EdgeHD 8 mounting [Re: Pat at home]
      #5805394 - 04/17/13 08:23 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I put an ADM saddle on order for the 35mm spacing. That way I will just continue using the larger CGE plate, as recommended by several.

Ed, thanks for the detailed PM as well!

Looking forward to first light with the new EdgeHD 8 OTA. Thankfully while I wait for that, and a few other accessories, we're forecast to have cloudy/rainy weather for several days.

Pages: 1

Extra information
32 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 589

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics