Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
nitegeezer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/27/07

Re: Recently purchased LX90 12" ACF new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5806002 - 04/18/13 01:40 AM

I am getting very excited to see what I can do this summer. I have dabbled in ap enough to get my feet wet but not enough to get anything I am really proud of. I have been helping a friend rebuild his scope this winter and my new camera just arrived a week ago. We are both planning on a major push to see what images we can capture. He has an SN-10 on a GEM and I will be using my 8" LX200 on a super wedge. I was thinking that between the GEM and aperture he was going to blow my doors off, but I am beginning to think it is going to be pretty close. Neither one of us is guiding yet, I want to address that later, but I enjoy learning what is possible step by step.

I would like an observatory someday, but that is quite a ways off if it does happen. The next two things I think I should address are guiding and a permanent pier. Which one of those is most important, or is there something else I should address next??

This is the most excited I have been heading into summer since I bought my scope nine years ago. This thread has given me some great information and I thank you much.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ldesign1
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/09

Loc: Northern Illinois
Re: Recently purchased LX90 12" ACF new [Re: nitegeezer]
      #5806046 - 04/18/13 03:14 AM

If you plan to bring your scope in and out, I don't see a huge advantage to having a "permanent" pier. I will only serve to help repeat your set-up if you left a wedge mounted and polar aligned. Otherwise, it's just like a permanent tripod. IMO

Guiding will be useful if you are moving your scope around from place to place. Even if you are not perfectly polar aligned, guiding will help correct some of the tracking errors for AP. Without guiding, you will need to have everything perfectly aligned for error free AP.

If you plan to make a concrete pier, that would be the cheapest way to go. If you plan to buy a steel pier, be prepared to spend some $$$ for something that is suitable for a 12" scope and mount. Plus you will still need to pour some concrete to attach the pier.

nitegeezer
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Recently purchased LX90 12" ACF new [Re: ldesign1]
      #5806474 - 04/18/13 11:49 AM

Your points are all spot on. The reason for a concrete pier is exactly what you mention, I could leave the wedge on it and bring the scope inside. I may get faster in the future, but it takes me one night just to get happy with the alignment of my wedge on my tripod. This summer I plan to leave my scope mounted on the wedge for a few days at a time as I don't think I can take it off without slightly moving my tripod and losing the alignment I struggled for. This works great for a couple of days if I can just stay home, but the nearest small town is 30 minutes away and major shopping for supplies is an hour away. I have never had any troubles here, but I still have a hard time leaving my scope out if I need to leave.

Dan: Sorry for the slight hijack of your thread here, but if you stay in the hobby and want to do ap, these comments will probably be useful, and may help you decide on what to get!!

dan_uk

Reged: 04/15/13

Re: Recently purchased LX90 12" ACF new [Re: nitegeezer]
      #5809247 - 04/19/13 06:35 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I ended up sticking with my LX90 12" and i'm quite pleased with my decision.

I will enjoy visuals for at least a year before I'll consider mounting options and when I am ready for AP I am sure i'll figure something out when the time comes!

I got myself some nice eye pieces today to increase the quality of my visual experience, from my understanding I should have covered the focal lengths I require:

13MM
17MM
41MM

Would this cover all my visual needs? I was told anything below a 12MM could not be used in the UK so easily with my 12".
Unfortunately they did not have a 2" adapter in stock so I can't try them out yet!

nitegeezer
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Recently purchased LX90 12" ACF new [Re: dan_uk]
      #5809399 - 04/19/13 07:43 PM

I think you will be happy that you stayed with the LX90 as long as you stay portable. The first few nights the adrenaline will keep you going. The setup is not where I have my problems, when I get going I try to make the most of every evening. I frequently start breaking down because it is just too cold to enjoy viewing anymore. That is when I really feel the weight as I have some previous adventures that cause joints fits when they get cold!! With a 12" I think you will be happy with the 90.

I think you got a good selection of EPs, but one thing you might want to consider is a good 2X Barlow. That would really extend the range you have.

I am puzzled by your comment of a 12mm limit as this is only 250X. The scope is capable of going much farther, is the limit due to air quality or light pollution? Granted you don't need to go higher magnification to have great views, my favorite EP is my 30mm, but once in a while it is fun to crank it up a bit and with my 8" I don't hesitate to push 300X.

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
Re: Recently purchased LX90 12" ACF [Re: dan_uk]
      #5809461 - 04/19/13 08:11 PM

I might add a 24mm TV Panoptic or 24mm ES 68 degree eyepiece to the three you already have. I have the TV 24 Panoptic and it is one of the nicest eyepieces I own. Have fun with your Meade 12. I also own this telescope and it puts up some excellent visual views at the eyepiece.

Bill

dan_uk

Reged: 04/15/13

Re: Recently purchased LX90 12" ACF new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #5814057 - 04/21/13 09:05 PM

Thanks for the tip bill I grabbed a 27mm panoptic which I'm quite pleased with!

I now have 41 + 27 Panoptic, 17 and 13 Ethos and 10 Delos.

I noticed today when viewing the moon I could easily use the 10mm without issue despite the atmospheric conditions. I assume this was mainly because the Moon is far closer then anything else I would look at.

What's the limit with the moon? I was considering one of the Nagler zoom eyepieces, would the 3-6MM be usable on anything but the moon?

is 381x mag usuable on anything else? i'm considering an 8mm.

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/08/04

Loc: New York City
      #5814091 - 04/21/13 09:24 PM

Sorry if this has been said, but I tend to not read all posts...

The 10" LX200 is said to be the perfect scope in terms of maximum (safe) weight someone can carry, and the difference between the 12 and 10 is really not much. The 12" LX200 is more stable and accurate, but very unsafe (I have one) to move around because of possible injury. I think you inferred that your dealer will take the LX90 back and switch it for you, in which case I would go that route. Because even though it is lighter, it's still bulky and can result in unnecessary injury. And the 10" LX200 is MUCH more stable than that teetering tube you have now. If you try A/P with it, (your LX90) you are going to get very frustrated.

Good luck, Chris

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
      #5815594 - 04/22/13 04:00 PM

400x with the Meade 12" is not out of the question. I would get a wide field 8mm or 7mm eyepiece for these occasions you want high power lunar views.

Bill

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2300

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics