Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)
Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: Sky Captain]
      #5766087 - 03/30/13 02:42 AM

Sean, you're right, I do have a 6 mm. Too often our seeing is too poor to support it. I really like using it on globs . . . it seems to burrow right in to the core and the larger/nearer ones fill the entire FOV.

Now that you mention the size and weight of the 21, I'm glad I'll get a chance to see how the scope balances, with Paracorr + big EP. I think it'll be fine; it can't weigh too much more than the 41 Pan.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/10

Loc: always cloudy, washington
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: Spaced]
      #5766864 - 03/30/13 01:15 PM

It is bigger than my 30mm ES82. I am not sure if it is heavier. My balance concern is the moonlite focuser paracorr and heavy eyepiece. I barely had enough clutch tension for the 30mm before the focuser so I need to slide my tube down a bit. I may do it today.

MadHungarian
sage

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Rainy WA
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: Sean Puett]
      #5770869 - 04/01/13 01:53 PM

The 41mm Pan is my favorite EP, but it's rather a specialized EP -- only really suitable for a long-focal-length SCT (due to pupil diameter stuff), and that only for SCT's bigger than 10" or so (due to central tube width). So basically, only good for a couple Celestron and Meade models. But quite nice on them.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: MadHungarian]
      #5770873 - 04/01/13 01:55 PM

I'm sure some of the light from the giant exit pupil is wasted on me, but there's no visible vignetting with my scopes and I really like the wide field views.

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

#5772502 - 04/02/13 10:16 AM

Mike, have you set up your refractor at goldendale? I don't think I have ever seen it and I just noticed it in your signature. Scanning the milky way with a refractor in goldendale is pretty close to heaven. I enjoy it anyway.

Spaced
Post Laureate

#5773430 - 04/02/13 05:21 PM

Yes Sean, I have. I haven't used it much at night, but I've used it as a spotting scope with my 45* correct image diagonal in the day several times. Most of my wider-field astronomy is with binoculars.

groz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/07

Loc: Campbell River, BC
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 [Re: Spaced]
      #5811440 - 04/20/13 05:40 PM

Well, a 'minor' change in plans is on the cook here now. My wife got a new job, so, it looks like right about the time this campout is happening, we will be moving, and not at all likely to be headed off to a star party

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: groz]
      #5811595 - 04/20/13 07:23 PM

That is too bad. Maybe you can catch one later in the year.

Spaced
Post Laureate

#5815257 - 04/22/13 01:13 PM

Dang! I was looking forward to having you there again. The only good news I take out of this is that you are almost certainly moving closer to G/dale than you are in Duncan. I hope the move and the job go smoothly.

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: DarkSkys]
      #5843239 - 05/06/13 10:43 AM

Hey Kyle, do you want to put a 2" focuser on your newt?. I have my gso 2 speed I took off my dob that I would be willing to give you, if you want it. I do have a 30mm gso superview to go with it too. I can't use the eyepiece anymore because my new scope are too fast. I really enjoyed it at f6 and at f8, it should be very nice. Let me know and I'll bring them down.

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
      #5845181 - 05/07/13 09:40 AM

Mike,

A question about generator use. I am bringing my 23 foot travel trailer and use my generator a couple of hours a day for battery top off only, so does it matter where I park? I am planning on arriving on Wednesday and am really looking forward to the star party.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5845272 - 05/07/13 10:34 AM

Hi, Cliff. First, I'm delighted to hear your confirmation that you'll be coming.

Second, I don't think anyone would be bothered by your generator for a couple of hours daily and you should feel free to park anywhere; the real gripe is people who destroy the nighttime ambiance with mechanical noise.

If you're the first to arrive you might be uncertain where to park. My tent trailer, Minnow, should already be there, as a landmark. It'll be lonely, so stop by and say hello to it. The event location is the acre or two of flat ground where Minnow is parked. I suggest you move well west of the tent trailer location. There's plenty of flat ground. You'll notice a bank south of Minnow, oriented east/west, that borders the viewing/camping area. You should avoid parking immediately below the bank, because there are some deep ruts there. And one more tip: the prevailing -- and occasionally strong -- winds are from the west, and you might want to orient your RV north/south to create a windbreak below which you can set up your astro gear.

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
      #5845276 - 05/07/13 10:37 AM

Thanks, Mike, I appreciate the input on parking. It will be nice to be out under the open sky again so soon after Camp Delany!

svtdoug
sage

Reged: 02/07/11

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5846241 - 05/07/13 06:05 PM

Hi Mike,

I'd like to join you at Goldendale. Sure have heard a lot about it and it seems like a great site. I would arrive on Wednesday or Thursday with a 19' travel trailer, if that's ok.

Looking forward to seeing some dark skies again.

Thanks!

Doug

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 new [Re: svtdoug]
      #5846856 - 05/07/13 11:06 PM

Terrific, Doug!

groz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/07

Loc: Campbell River, BC
      #5853522 - 05/11/13 10:22 AM

Quote:

Dang! I was looking forward to having you there again. The only good news I take out of this is that you are almost certainly moving closer to G/dale than you are in Duncan. I hope the move and the job go smoothly.

Actually, we will be farther from G'dale after the move. We are going up island about 2.5 hours drive from Duncan, ending up in Campbell River.

BUT, there is dark sky only a few miles out of town in that area, just as dark as G'dale. We've been scoping things out over the last couple of weeks, and, in the agricultural areas just south of town, the skies are amazing on a clear / dark night. We've rented a place in town for the short term, Chris starts the new job on June 3, and there isn't enough time to find / buy what we want, so we'll start the search for a permanent place after the summer rush of family events is over. We've got eldest daughter getting married in July, and a family reunion to attend shortly after. Once that's all out of the way, the hunt is on.

If we can find what we are looking for, then once we are moved into the location, you can expect an invite to the C&G invitational star party after the observatory is built. Probably still a couple years out before everything is in place, but, we are bound and determined to end up in a location where it's relatively dark, and has a decent vista in most directions from the observatory.

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Pacific Northwest USA
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 [Re: groz]
      #5853882 - 05/11/13 02:10 PM

I am new to this thread and unfortunately am busy that weekend but there are hints that this happens a few times a year...is that true? My Wife and I would love to attend and we are in the PDX area so not too far away!

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 [Re: WOBentley]
      #5853942 - 05/11/13 02:44 PM

Quote:

I am new to this thread and unfortunately am busy that weekend but there are hints that this happens a few times a year...is that true? My Wife and I would love to attend and we are in the PDX area so not too far away!

Last year there were 3. The first one in June was a blow-out due to the wind, so most of us went back in July. I believe they had another in August. Each event happens nearest the new moon of that month.

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Pacific Northwest USA
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 [Re: SteveG]
      #5854346 - 05/11/13 08:19 PM

I will keep watching and hope I can make it if it is an open star party?

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013 [Re: WOBentley]
      #5854832 - 05/12/13 04:27 AM Attachment (5 downloads)

Quote:

I will keep watching and hope I can make it if it is an open star party?

We could be back in July. It's a great place and friendly folk. Especially Mike, (Spaced) who owns the joint. He has some guidelines around here somewhere. You'll hear about anything cooking if you follow this forum, especially the "PNW Eterna... thread".

Another reason Goldendale is nice is that it's a smaller party and you can spread out a bit. You get crammed in like sardines at most of the bigger parties.

Sometimes Steve flys in and one time he took a bunch of us for a ride. that was a BLAST!

No axe murderers allowed for sure though, so if you're one of those, forget it.

Don't worry, most people don't get my sense of humor.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8173

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics