Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
CGE PRO top heavy?
      #5815187 - 04/22/13 12:45 PM

Why does the Celestron CGE PRO line tripod look like it is top heavy,unstable and could topple over from a slight nudge? This was one of the factors that steered me away from Celestron and toward the new Meade LX850 line. The LX850 mount looks like it would take a hurricane to tip it over.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: CGE PRO top heavy? new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5815395 - 04/22/13 02:17 PM

The combination of that large wedge and the electronics pier does put the mount way up there! That height can be an issue for folks wanting to place it onto an existing pier sized for a more conventionally proportioned mount (like me). I'm quite sure that it is no less stable than the LX850, though. Might even be a bit beefier. Heavier, for sure (I've hefted both).

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: CGE PRO top heavy? new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5815472 - 04/22/13 02:47 PM

The CGE-PRO is very heavy and stable. No wobble, wiggle or movement at all. Furthermore, you can always extend the legs out by replacing the center braces with longer ones. This would give the tripod a much wider stance. If you are using a pier, you could of course lower your pier until you are comfortable with the height. I've also seen people remove the electronics from the electronics pier and put them in a separate box then they have a machine shop make a small adapter between the mount and the tripod or pier thereby lowering it even more.

Edited by Whichwayisnorth (04/22/13 02:49 PM)

Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
Re: CGE PRO top heavy? new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5816349 - 04/22/13 08:51 PM

The CGE-PRO mount also comes apart in two pieces that make it much easier to carry and set up. There are two bolts with hand grips on either side. Remove those and the top half of the mount lifts away nearly splitting the weight in half.
This is intentional. If only the CGE-PRO had internal cale routing...

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: CGE PRO top heavy? new [Re: Pak]
      #5816443 - 04/22/13 10:04 PM

position the tripod with the north leg over the cw bar.. not what the manual says with the leg in the rear..

Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
Re: CGE PRO top heavy? new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5820377 - 04/24/13 06:16 PM

The one thing about the CGE-Pro is that it is NOT unstable. Mine sits rock steady and I've actually done planetary imaging in 30mph winds. Now, the OTA caused the image to move around, but the tripod was really solid. At least that has been my observation having the scope for 1.5 years. With the C14, I do appreciate the height when observing near the zenith.

Paul

Quote:

Why does the Celestron CGE PRO line tripod look like it is top heavy,unstable and could topple over from a slight nudge? This was one of the factors that steered me away from Celestron and toward the new Meade LX850 line. The LX850 mount looks like it would take a hurricane to tip it over.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: CGE PRO top heavy? new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5820894 - 04/24/13 09:39 PM

You can buy one and have it shipped straight to Deep Space Products and have Ed check it all out and recommend/suggest improvements (hypertuning service) for it. Doesn't cost much and my understanding is that he can take what is already a very good mount and make it wonderful! My CGE-PRO was a beast. Very very stable and steady. Easily handled weight near its 90lb limit. When I had mine the ASPA feature was in its infancy. Now Celestron has it down pretty good. Also sometime in June/July Celestron is releasing their Starsense addon which will greatly improve aligment and pointing which will by relation improve the results of the ASPA.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: CGE PRO top heavy? new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5821820 - 04/25/13 11:21 AM

I would agree that there is nothing unstable about it. If you hit it with a car it might topple over, but that's about it. Massively heavy and unwieldy it is. I now have an electric winch to lift the things out of the box and onto my bench.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: CGE PRO top heavy? new [Re: EFT]
      #5822700 - 04/25/13 05:42 PM

Quote:

Massively heavy and unwieldy it is. I now have an electric winch to lift the things out of the box and onto my bench.

Holy cow.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: CGE PRO top heavy? new [Re: WesC]
      #5822762 - 04/25/13 06:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Massively heavy and unwieldy it is. I now have an electric winch to lift the things out of the box and onto my bench.

Holy cow.

After four shoulder surgeries, including two for torn bicep tendon last year, and then a torn elbow ligament a few months back, picking up that 90 pound monster out the box without assistance is simply not a good idea anymore. My orthopedist gets unhappy with me when I ruin his good work and my wife is tired of waiting at the hospital while I get cut on.

They are not quite as bad when you get them out of the box, but lifting one up out of the foam in the box is a real bear. Piece of cake with the winch though. I got it to lift my 300 pound milling machine and figured that it would help with mounts as well.

Pages: 1

Extra information
26 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 612

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics