Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: TonyDralle]
      #6036245 - 08/20/13 11:01 AM

I just emailed that person ^. I think this is my 6th try at getting any kind of response.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/07/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: MessiToM]
      #6037605 - 08/21/13 01:42 AM

For those of you with experience here. How for from your scope will you have to park? How about how from from the campsites will you set up?

Thanks

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/13/04

Loc: Maryland
Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: tag1260]
      #6037897 - 08/21/13 08:53 AM

Quote:

For those of you with experience here. How for from your scope will you have to park? How about how from from the campsites will you set up?

Thanks

You can park your car on top of your scope and tent if you want, but people usually like to spread out a little. Everything can be as close as you want and if the weather is good it will be very crowded.

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: zeldaboy101]
      #6037932 - 08/21/13 09:19 AM

It is exactly as Jeremy said. One further thought is to make sure that you have a good view of the sky and enough turning radius for your telescope. The later that one arrives the harder it is to park a large vehicle in a position that will not block the sky from those who have already set up.

demiles
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: star drop]
      #6038344 - 08/21/13 01:19 PM

I have finally received conformation.

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: demiles]
      #6038384 - 08/21/13 01:41 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be there early by a couple of days so I will probably be OK to set up near my car. I have a solid tube 12" and don't want to have to hike a mile with it.

How do you guys set up and leave your scopes out the entire time? Is a couple of tarps enough to keep it out of the weather for the most part?

Never been to one of these so I'm getting a little excited as I try to plan.

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

#6038576 - 08/21/13 03:33 PM

I used to just carry my solid tube 12" newt back in the tent if rain was coming. Most leave theyr gear set up all weekend and cover it up or just cap the tube if the weather is nice.

edit* Speaking of covers. I just bought a telegizmos horizontal park cover for my dob from Ebay user ruby123 who runs the Ebay store for SmartAstronomy. It was about $50 cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

Edited by MessiToM (08/21/13 05:17 PM)

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

#6039069 - 08/21/13 08:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be there early by a couple of days so I will probably be OK to set up near my car. I have a solid tube 12" and don't want to have to hike a mile with it.

How do you guys set up and leave your scopes out the entire time? Is a couple of tarps enough to keep it out of the weather for the most part?

Never been to one of these so I'm getting a little excited as I try to plan.

I'll just list everything i've learned to bring from the last 8 years attending star parties there.

Tarps - they'll do a decent job protecting your scope from rain, make sure there are no holes though. A dedicated cover fits a little better but costs a bit more than a tarp. I stake my tarps down so they don't catch a strong breeze and knock the scope over, which has happened to others.

Dew - You need a dew heater. You need a bigger battery for your dew heater than expected. You need dew straps on every surface you expect to use (secondary, eyepiece, finderscope, telrad). In a pinch, hand warmers rubber banded to these items does work very well. Make sure nothing on the secondary can fall off and hit the primary. Your books and maps will be soaked by the end of the night, keep them covered or have something over them (ie in an alcove). The grass will soak whatever shoes or boots you're wearing, waterproof boots are very handy.

Lights - Red. Anything else and you may be shot. People don't always think about lights in their car that may come on from opening a door (lights in the door) or accidentally hitting the lock button. No white light in your tent either, it'll be noticed. No laser pointers.

It can get pretty cold some nights so have plenty of layers and hand warmers. Frost is totally possible but not likely.

Don't hog the outlets on the field, bring an extension cord and a power strip.

Bring the right size allen wrenches, screw drivers, etc to tweak your scope.

Put your eyepieces and small valuables that can be walked off with in your car (make sure lights wont come on) or in your tent at night. Sadly things on a rare occasion have walked off, primarily eyepieces left out.

Don't forget sunscreen during the day, little shade out on the field.

The 24 hour food on site is ok, but the best food is in town, 15 minutes away.

Have a list of what you want to look at and good deep charts. If you haven't been under extremely dark skies it's easy to get disoriented and kind of wonder what to look at. On transparent nights the skies are VERY dark there.

Ask to look through other scopes! Everything imaginable can show up, from a 32" dob to a 6" apo, there are some very nice scopes and eyepieces to take a peak through.

You definitely shouldn't put any tickets in the raffle.

Edited by zeldaboy101 (08/21/13 08:08 PM)

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

#6039144 - 08/21/13 08:53 PM

HA LOL ^ yea dont try and beat this guy to winning door prizes!

Good List. I learned the hard way up there about dew.

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: MessiToM]
      #6039620 - 08/22/13 06:07 AM

OK. Now about the dew heaters. If I show up with a bunch of hand warmers, will someone show me how to use them? While I'm hoping to get some great views of some things, I'm more about learning to use my equipment that I have at this point. I mean, when I get all dewed up at home, I just call it a night.

Thanks

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

#6039737 - 08/22/13 08:54 AM

Quote:

OK. Now about the dew heaters. If I show up with a bunch of hand warmers, will someone show me how to use them? While I'm hoping to get some great views of some things, I'm more about learning to use my equipment that I have at this point. I mean, when I get all dewed up at home, I just call it a night.

Thanks

Bring a bunch of large rubber bands in good shape. Open the hand warmers, rubber band them around whatever is getting dewed up like the secondary (if it's too large for a rubber band, velcro straps?), plus eyepieces, finders, and telrads are easy enough to rubber band them on. Just get them on the sides of whatever is dewed up and they'll warm the whole thing up, eventually stopping dew. It's easier to start dew prevention before you get dewed up, then to try and fight dew after it shows up.

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

#6040313 - 08/22/13 03:07 PM

Thanks guys. Looking forward to getting to meet a few people while I'm up there.
Thanks again

Brett Carlson
sage

Reged: 12/12/11

Loc: Rochester, NY
      #6040426 - 08/22/13 04:25 PM

I'm trying to hurry and make a dew heater using a fan controller from a computer. I have the control unit complete. I added a resister to my telrad so that should be OK. I have a 12v dryer that I can use if needed too.

I'm going to try to make a few eyepiece heaters out of velcro straps and Nichrome wire....If I can't complete these I'll go with the handwarmer/Rubber band route.

My secondary doesn't dew up too badly (solid tube dob) but at that location it might. The design of the secondary doesn't make adding heating elements very easy.

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: Brett Carlson]
      #6041163 - 08/23/13 02:28 AM

^
My solid tube newt's primary used to eventually get dew'd even. The secondary would surprisingly quick

I got my confirmation this morning (8-22) I had to "go through" my astro club's president who is also a member of CPO

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

#6041379 - 08/23/13 08:09 AM

Quote:

I'm trying to hurry and make a dew heater using a fan controller from a computer. I have the control unit complete. I added a resister to my telrad so that should be OK. I have a 12v dryer that I can use if needed too.

I'm going to try to make a few eyepiece heaters out of velcro straps and Nichrome wire....If I can't complete these I'll go with the handwarmer/Rubber band route.

My secondary doesn't dew up too badly (solid tube dob) but at that location it might. The design of the secondary doesn't make adding heating elements very easy.

Your secondary will dew up, potentially very very quickly on some nights.

I also highly recommend making a dew shield for dobs. It may some a little odd for a dob, but it can really help a dew heater out by having a dew shield. MessiTom is right too, your primary could even get dew on it at the BFSP if you're up long enough. We didn't drive 5+ hours to get dewed out in an hour! I've seen dew forming on things while it's still twilight there...

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #6041878 - 08/23/13 01:21 PM

Another way to delay the dew is to keep the covers on until astronomical twilight is over and then begin to view the objects you want to see. The views won't suffer that much while your telescope acclimates and you will not dew up during the process.

Brett Carlson
sage

#6042427 - 08/23/13 08:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Your secondary will dew up, potentially very very quickly on some nights.

I also highly recommend making a dew shield for dobs. It may some a little odd for a dob, but it can really help a dew heater out by having a dew shield. MessiTom is right too, your primary could even get dew on it at the BFSP if you're up long enough. We didn't drive 5+ hours to get dewed out in an hour! I've seen dew forming on things while it's still twilight there...

What material should I make a dew shield from? The tube is 19 inches in diameter. How far should it extend? I've never seen a dob outfitted with a dew shield.

Doc Willie
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
      #6043071 - 08/24/13 07:06 AM

Quote:

What material should I make a dew shield from? The tube is 19 inches in diameter. How far should it extend? I've never seen a dob outfitted with a dew shield.

A favorite material is a thin foam camping pad. I believe the rule of thumb for a dew shield is 1-1/2 times the aperture, though the ones I have seen on dobs look closer to 1X.

Brett Carlson
sage

Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: Doc Willie]
      #6044400 - 08/24/13 11:28 PM

registration looks to be full!

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

#6044426 - 08/24/13 11:45 PM

Doc_Willie

I have a Star Trek TNG Phaser to show you at BFSP lol

And Iam already getting paranoid about weather
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/coudersport-pa/16915/daily-weather-forecast/...

Edited by MessiToM (08/25/13 01:30 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7103

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics