Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/07/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: Doc Willie]
      #6044706 - 08/25/13 05:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What material should I make a dew shield from? The tube is 19 inches in diameter. How far should it extend? I've never seen a dob outfitted with a dew shield.

A favorite material is a thin foam camping pad. I believe the rule of thumb for a dew shield is 1-1/2 times the aperture, though the ones I have seen on dobs look closer to 1X.

Do they paint them? I see all sort of colors but I haven't seen one that's black anywhere.
Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: tag1260]
      #6045404 - 08/25/13 03:24 PM

A heads up for you. I was just able to pick up a 10 pack (20 handwarmers) for $8.00 at Lowes. I was also able to find a roll of black craft foam (36"*60") at Micheals Crafts for about $5.00.

Brett Carlson
sage

Reged: 12/12/11

Loc: Rochester, NY
      #6045432 - 08/25/13 03:50 PM

I found black foam too...36 x 60 but it isn't quite long enough! I'm glueing some together. I also have some thin pieces of wood to support the foam.

Tested the dew heater today in the garage. Seems to be working great. I did find out the some of my channels are not working. One I know is blown. The others I think are poor soldering on my part. I'll open it up this week check the connections.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: Brett Carlson]
      #6045792 - 08/25/13 07:28 PM

I just got my confirmation, I'm signed up!! Very excited. If anyone else is going alone and wants to meet up send me a PM. This will be my second star party, 1st only a few weeks ago. Haven't been to skies this dark yet!!

Instead of a tent I'm thinking ill rent a minivan to sleep in. Warmer and quieter. Do you guys know if there's a place to park it for sleeping away from the field? I just read on the FAQ there is 30 dedicated camping sites but appears to be no way to PRE purchase. It says you can RV in the field so I guess I could do that it I can block all the lights on the thing somehow ... Thoughts from ppl who's been? I'd prefer the campsite but if I can't guarantee ill have it I'd like to be prepared.

To the guy building the dew controller: I've done the same thing with a fan speed controller I bought for about 12$, works great!!! I wired an additional 12Ah battery to my battery tanks existing 7Ah battery and it worked great , could have gone all night (if I could have at is).

I don't have a secondary dew heater though.. Going to try to get/make one before then. And heck I'll bring my refractor as backup (have plenty of dew straps for that)!

Edited by lamplight (08/25/13 07:29 PM)

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: zeldaboy101]
      #6045814 - 08/25/13 07:47 PM

Go to a craft store and get a sheet of red cellophane and cover you interior lights with that. I'm sitting here making flashlights as we speak!!! LOL
Also covering my Kindle for my push to. I know what you mean about getting excited as this is my first one.

I don't have time between now and then to make a dew heater but I got hand warmers to use. I made a dew shield today and made one for my Telrad as well. It's all set up in the yard right now so I'll see if they help any tonight.

I keep everything sort of organized in milk crates so I made a table top to sit on top of those for a table.

Only thing I'm not sure about is covering at night and do I need a tarp or something as a sort of floor. I've got some huge trash bags that I suppose I could use as a cover if needed plus they don't take up much room for packing. A solid tube dob just takes up so much space in a Jeep Patriot.

Brett Carlson
sage

#6046953 - 08/26/13 12:47 PM

I was just at a craft store too. I have a red flashlight already....Would be nice to have a spare or two.

I have a large tarp to cover my scope if necessary. I'll also have a 10x10 shelter just in case.

I drive a Red Chevy Tahoe...I'll be bringing a 16" Solid Tube Dub. Takes up nearly every bit of room! Takes some crafty packing but I should be OK.

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: lamplight]
      #6047897 - 08/26/13 10:54 PM

Quote:

Instead of a tent I'm thinking ill rent a minivan to sleep in. Warmer and quieter. Do you guys know if there's a place to park it for sleeping away from the field? I just read on the FAQ there is 30 dedicated camping sites but appears to be no way to PRE purchase. It says you can RV in the field so I guess I could do that it I can block all the lights on the thing somehow ... Thoughts from ppl who's been? I'd prefer the campsite but if I can't guarantee ill have it I'd like to be prepared.

Sleep in the van on the field. Tape a cover over the dome light and keep your hand off of the panic alarm/door lock button and you are all set.

Brett Carlson
sage

Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: MessiToM]
      #6048307 - 08/27/13 07:53 AM

I'll have a small tent and a 10x10 shelter that I'll setup pretty much right on top of each other. I have a large tarp to go over the scope.

Should have a tarp to under the scope itself? I use a ladder most of the time to get to the eyepiece and the tarp would take quite a beating. I do have a tarp I use under my tent that I could use in a pinch.

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/13/04

Loc: Maryland
      #6048499 - 08/27/13 10:02 AM

A ground tarp helps keep where you're walking drier (drier boots and slightly less local moisture for dew), plus if you drop anything it can be easy to find it. However, if you're planning on using a plastic tarp, the crinkling may drive you insane. Canvas or carpet = best option but it's not absolutely needed, just a nice extra when observing.

Brett Carlson
sage

#6048590 - 08/27/13 10:57 AM

Quote:

A ground tarp helps keep where you're walking drier (drier boots and slightly less local moisture for dew), plus if you drop anything it can be easy to find it. However, if you're planning on using a plastic tarp, the crinkling may drive you insane. Canvas or carpet = best option but it's not absolutely needed, just a nice extra when observing.

Thanks for the advice. I can see that the plastic tarp would be a bit noisy. I'll try to pick up a canvas one.

Undermidnight
BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

Reged: 05/25/04

Loc: Untermitternacht
      #6048690 - 08/27/13 12:06 PM

BFSP is fast approaching!! Some of us in the CAS caravan will be arriving sometime Wednesday afternoon to get an early jump on observing. Look for the weirdo with the floppy camo hat, a Rush T-Shirt on, and lounging away smoking my pipe, and that should be me.

I am bringing my 12.5" telescope I made which should be plenty in the dark skies of PA.

Looking forward to seeing other Cloudy Nighters there!

Jason

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
      #6049384 - 08/27/13 06:09 PM

Harbor freight sells large squares of canvas cheap. FYI

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. I can see that the plastic tarp would be a bit noisy. I'll try to pick up a canvas one.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: MessiToM]
      #6049449 - 08/27/13 06:51 PM

Rush t-shirt?! ?today is Alex's 60th I might wear my tie dye grateful dead shirt with the little aliens on it. Don't ask

I actually have an extra 8x12' canvas tarp when I bought some for light shades at home. Good idea i might bring that. I had my 10" in a green zone and was very happy so I know it will be plenty of aperture for me. I have some of the foam camping pads that are blue.. I might bring a scrap of that as extra dew shield since I don't have a dew heater for the secondary yet. I have everything for finder/telrad EP thpugh. Lately I haven't been able to stay out long enough for it to dew over anyhow. And I ordered a 12v hair dryer finally, just in case .

Edited by lamplight (08/27/13 08:44 PM)

Skywatchr
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/03/06

Loc: North-Central Pa.
Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: Undermidnight]
      #6049525 - 08/27/13 07:43 PM

Maybe we'll see some Earthshine as The Stars Look Down in our own Peaceable Kingdom as we Stick it Out amongst the Subdivisions on the field looking through our scopes as Second Nature hoping we have Ceiling Unlimited, without Jacob's Ladder as we Fly By Night, with the Clockwork Angels at work.

Quote:

BFSP is fast approaching!! Some of us in the CAS caravan will be arriving sometime Wednesday afternoon to get an early jump on observing. Look for the weirdo with the floppy camo hat, a Rush T-Shirt on, and lounging away smoking my pipe, and that should be me.

I am bringing my 12.5" telescope I made which should be plenty in the dark skies of PA.

Looking forward to seeing other Cloudy Nighters there!

Jason

Undermidnight
BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

Reged: 05/25/04

Loc: Untermitternacht
Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: Skywatchr]
      #6050564 - 08/28/13 12:03 PM

Quote:

Maybe we'll see some Earthshine as The Stars Look Down in our own Peaceable Kingdom as we Stick it Out amongst the Subdivisions on the field looking through our scopes as Second Nature hoping we have Ceiling Unlimited, without Jacob's Ladder as we Fly By Night, with the Clockwork Angels at work.

After the Caravan arrives, when the evening comes, right about the time of the Twilight Zone, we Countdown to the anticipated darkness. Hopefully, we picked a spot where The Trees will not block much of our view. As we gaze upon the remaining Available Light from the The Big Wheel in the sky, we draw in a deep breath and for a moment, Time Stands Still. Soon, our telescopes will be bagging DSOs Hand Over Fist. Those with larger telescopes are Driven to see many faint objects, but the rest of us with smaller scopes have a Ghost of a Chance to see them, but it is hard to Resist trying! Of course, it would be Heresy if we sleep through the night and it is clear!! If you do decide to lay down, make sure you are Face Up to see the stars! Astroimagers will busily collect photons through The Camera Eye attached to their telescopes. I know they use Kid Gloves with those refractors!!

In The End, for those of us that have never been under darker skies, the Afterimage will be in our minds indefinitely. When we return home and unpack, hopefully, we won't be saying, uh, Where's My Thing?...you know, questioning where you left your Ethos without Losing It. There will be many Tears if we cannot find it.

Edited by Undermidnight (08/28/13 01:39 PM)

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

#6050829 - 08/28/13 02:30 PM

Is there a list of vendors? I may be picking up an item or 2 and want to make sure the vendors coming carry those specific items and are planning on bringing some, otherwise i'll order them now.

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #6050919 - 08/28/13 03:37 PM

Some vendors are mentioned on the Twitter page. You'll have to scroll down thru the door prize/vendor listings. The page background is different to be sure.

Skywatchr
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/03/06

Loc: North-Central Pa.
      #6053082 - 08/29/13 06:09 PM

This is a Distant Early Warning for those who at night don't use Red Lenses and awaken those in Red Sector A
who might not use Kid Gloves and you end up in the Limelight in the cage with By-tor & The Snow Dog that will
feel like The Twilight Zone in Limbo hoping you learn the Lessons the star party is no stroll at a Lakeside Park.

Quote:

Quote:

After the Caravan arrives, when the evening comes, right about the time of the Twilight Zone, we Countdown to the anticipated darkness. Hopefully, we picked a spot where The Trees will not block much of our view. As we gaze upon the remaining Available Light from the The Big Wheel in the sky, we draw in a deep breath and for a moment, Time Stands Still. Soon, our telescopes will be bagging DSOs Hand Over Fist. Those with larger telescopes are Driven to see many faint objects, but the rest of us with smaller scopes have a Ghost of a Chance to see them, but it is hard to Resist trying! Of course, it would be Heresy if we sleep through the night and it is clear!! If you do decide to lay down, make sure you are Face Up to see the stars! Astroimagers will busily collect photons through The Camera Eye attached to their telescopes. I know they use Kid Gloves with those refractors!!

In The End, for those of us that have never been under darker skies, the Afterimage will be in our minds indefinitely. When we return home and unpack, hopefully, we won't be saying, uh, Where's My Thing?...you know, questioning where you left your Ethos without Losing It. There will be many Tears if we cannot find it.

CometChaser2013

Reged: 08/21/13

#6054356 - 08/30/13 12:37 PM

All vendors that are planning to attend are listed on the Twitter feed. Barring any last 'minute' additions, it's looking like 15 vendors this year. Thank you for asking and expressing interest in supporting the vendors!

Bill
BFSP 2013 Speaker/Vendor coordinator

Edited by CometChaser2013 (08/30/13 12:53 PM)

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Black Forest Star Party 2013 new [Re: CometChaser2013]
      #6055202 - 08/30/13 10:08 PM

Thanks Bill! It's a pretty good list of vendors, may be picking up an item or two. I'm especially excited to check out the meteorite collections, they're always impressive.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7119

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics