Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Jupiter
      #5819344 - 04/24/13 09:22 AM Attachment (35 downloads)

Last night I set my scope out early to cool. It looked to be a splendid clear night. About 8 PM I went out to check conditions. The near full moon was shining brightly and some clouds were beginning to roll in. After a few failed attempts Jupiter came into view with all it splendor. I popped in a 6.3 old plossl eyepiece which I was told was junk by a person whom gave it to me. I was amazed at the detail even with some thin clouds in the area. I thought while sketching about eyepieces and equipment. I realize this is not a high end eyepiece but, I still had very pleasant views. I sat and contemplated this massive planet and used my tools which any beginner could afford. I realized it was more about effort and time than equipment and expense. I hope some beginners will realize they don't need high end equipment or $500.00 eyepieces to view objects well.
I hope to get some nice views of Saturn and a few more looks at Jupiter before its setting.

Ken

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Jupiter new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5819480 - 04/24/13 10:45 AM

Ken,

That is a very fine sketch of Jupiter. Its all the better for being in color.
Your scope matched with that eyepiece work well together.

Frank

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5819491 - 04/24/13 10:49 AM

Ken,

Very good sketch of Jupiter .

CS,KLU,

Tom

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jupiter new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #5819516 - 04/24/13 11:03 AM

Thank You Tom and Frank,
I sketched on some computer paper with some colored pencils from my daughters art supplies. I was surprised how well Jupiter looked. I decided to cut the drawing and put it into a black background. I think it adds to the contrast. Even my little 72mm showed some nice color on the bands the night before.

Ken

David Gray
sage

Reged: 08/06/12

Loc: Co. Durham UK
      #5821327 - 04/25/13 06:14 AM

Hi Ken,

Like it! There is something rather compelling here with this drawing; atmospheric even.

Your daughters pencils? My first Jupiter colour drawings (1964) were done using my five year-old niece’s coloured pencils which were kept at our house for when my mother looked after her. In my case I was getting the colours too bright/garish (yours look fine) and developed a technique of muting them with graphite.

I still have that box of (Harlequin) crayon pencils: keep meaning to ask her if she wants them back! Oops I’ve given her age away!

I agree about eyepieces: actually when I bought the binoviewer I was too broke (or at least not wanting to risk my wife’s wrath!) to straight away buy a matched pair. So went around car boot sales etc. buying cheap binos to cannibalize and got a few pairs of perfectly useable and adaptable ones including some excellent wide-fields!

Cheers,
David.

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jupiter new [Re: David Gray]
      #5821348 - 04/25/13 06:49 AM

David,
Thanks for the kind words. I tried to keep the drawing as close to what I could see as possible. I used very light sketching strokes and kept going in and out of my garage to make sure it wasn't getting to dark.

My daughters pencils do seem quite hard so that may help. Little does she know I have now swiped a few colors for myself! We had to put a cabinet in the kitchen for all the girls art supplies. They really love drawing and coloring.

I am thinking about getting a binoviewer some day. For now I will stay a one eyed bandit!

I know one think for certain, sketching has improved my observing skills quite a bit. Although some of my friends find me odd to sit in the dark trying to draw what I see. They just ask why not take pictures? I guess some folks miss the point. To me there is something pure, almost romantic about sitting at the telescope sketching the lines of dark and light, looking for small details wondering what you are seeing.

Ken

PeterDob
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/29/05

Loc: CarĂą, Italy
      #5821378 - 04/25/13 07:16 AM

Well, Ken, I totally agree with you on the subject of sketching. My old astronomy tutor specifically instructed us to make drawings all the time because it is the best way to learn to observe properly.

Your drawing is very nice indeed and you're also right about cheap equipment that doesn't necessarily means cheap observation. Plossls are cheap but very decent eyepieces with high light transfer and contrast. Pity they have such a restrictive FOV. And I could also imagine that your 6,3mm isn't the most comfortable one to use with its 5mm of eye relief... But I'm glad it works well for you!

Peter

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jupiter new [Re: PeterDob]
      #5821401 - 04/25/13 07:31 AM

Peter,
I would still consider myself a beginner. But, I've come a long way. I always enjoy looking at others sketches to get their point of view on what they see and how they interpret an object.

The eye relief is a bit tough. Like looking into a straw at points but I learned to just relax and enjoy it.

Ken

Andrev
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
      #5821644 - 04/25/13 09:44 AM

Ken

Nice sketch. A very good effort to show us what you saw. You are on the way to produce very beautiful sketches în the future.

Andre

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jupiter new [Re: Andrev]
      #5821706 - 04/25/13 10:04 AM

Thanks Andre,
I get my inspiration from the folks in this forum including yourself. I hope I can hone my skills over the years.

Ken

ericj
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/17/05

#5834316 - 05/01/13 12:46 PM

Nice sketch Ken I look forward to your future observations and sketches.

Best,

Eric Jamison

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jupiter new [Re: ericj]
      #5834346 - 05/01/13 12:58 PM

Thank You Eric,
I just started sketching about 6 months ago. I finally got up the nerve to try the Moon and Jupiter. I have been able to get some great advice here and look forward to learning more.

Ken

Aquarellia
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/27/12

Loc: Provence, France
      #5835494 - 05/02/13 12:28 AM

Lovely sketch Ken, I like the result, very very close to the real observation and, in realistic color, whaw ! Cutting the drawing and put it into a black background is a nice idea, maybe more difficult for Saturn, no ?
Share more !
Michel

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jupiter new [Re: Aquarellia]
      #5835687 - 05/02/13 06:35 AM

Thanks Michel,
I think the black adds some contrast. I am adding some more observations today.

Ken

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 446

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics