Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Seiko4169
sage

Reged: 07/04/09

Re: Which CPC? new [Re: novalad]
      #5817444 - 04/23/13 01:10 PM

Quote:

Good luck with whatever CPC model you go with!
I was looking to get a Nexstar 8SE and had posted that in the Nexstar forum but took your suggestion and have decided to go with a CPC Edge 800. Having had the 9.25 non Edge version yrs ago I know the mount is pretty solid but the 9.25 could be a pain sometimes as far as being portable.
I think the CPC Edge 800 will be good for me as I'm looking for portability and a stable mount and at only 43 lbs for the OTA and mount it will be easier to move around:)
Celestron claims they have made improvements to the mount and drive section..anyone experience improvements there?
I know my old CPC 9.25 was pretty good..even on 1 star allign it tracked quite well and was fairly quiet.
Just going to use the beast for purely visual!Should work well with a nice set of Brandon eyepieces I got last yr!
----------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------
Skywatcher ED Pro 120
Astrotech 66ED
Set of Brandon Eyepieces
Meade 2X 140 APO Barlow
Antares Variable Polarizer 1.25"

I think you've made a great choice. I don't think you'll see a lot of difference in the mount though, slightly dimmer power light, 4 degree slew speed instead of 3 and a clamped worm? I think these are all very minor upgrades noting I notice Celestron no longer say it has quiet slewing? The cpc was never quiet but I wonder if the new mounts slightly faster slew means its a little noisier?

Either way, when you look through it I bet you don't care. It will have superb views. Enjoy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
A. Viegas
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: Which CPC? new [Re: Fernando134]
      #5818164 - 04/23/13 06:00 PM

Fernando-

For very smooth pavement they work great, even on a driveway with a few cracks and bumps they are fine if you are careful and slow in rolling it out. Yes I used to keep the CPC tripod feet on the little casters (they are quite small, but each is capable of 160# of weight!). Saved me $300 in not having to order JMI Wheeley bars and/or scopebuggy. Even better, I now have my CPC1100 outside for spring/summer observing somewhat permanently in the backyard covered with a Telegizmo cover, so I now use the little casters to wheel out my CGEM whenever I want a quick look as opposed to doing some video with the CPC.... Best $30 i spent in a while!

Boa sorte!
Al

Fernando134

Reged: 02/02/13

Loc: Brasil
Re: Which CPC? [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5820864 - 04/24/13 09:18 PM

Thanks Al.

Obrigado, Fernando

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Which CPC? new [Re: Fernando134]
      #5830971 - 04/29/13 07:44 PM

Well? What did you get?

If you have not decided yet, go for the edge. It's not a fair trade off as it's 27% more expensive than the other one and the gains will probably not be noticeable on any given night.

But one night, at a dark site, the seeing will be perfect, the humidity non-existent along with dew. A very slight warm breeze will waft through carrying a pleasant tune. When you finally look through the eyepiece at your favorite globular cluster, your heart will stop for a moment as you catch your breath. Then, and only then, you will realize that this particular view was worth every penny, and the extra money spent was insignificant and a bargain at twice the price. You'll pack up the next morning with a satisfied smile and the only photographs you'll really ever need. The ones perfectly imprinted on your minds eye for you to pull up and revisit at a time of clouds.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,
Stacy

katie
sage

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Southern Maryland
Re: Which CPC? new [Re: Stacy]
      #5831890 - 04/30/13 09:59 AM

Don't know about anyone else, but you had me at:

"A very slight warm breeze will waft through carrying a pleasant tune."

A Sagan/Thoreau blended post

Seiko4169
sage

#5832371 - 04/30/13 01:43 PM

Quote:

Well? What did you get?

If you have not decided yet, go for the edge. It's not a fair trade off as it's 27% more expensive than the other one and the gains will probably not be noticeable on any given night.

But one night, at a dark site, the seeing will be perfect, the humidity non-existent along with dew. A very slight warm breeze will waft through carrying a pleasant tune. When you finally look through the eyepiece at your favorite globular cluster, your heart will stop for a moment as you catch your breath. Then, and only then, you will realize that this particular view was worth every penny, and the extra money spent was insignificant and a bargain at twice the price. You'll pack up the next morning with a satisfied smile and the only photographs you'll really ever need. The ones perfectly imprinted on your minds eye for you to pull up and revisit at a time of clouds.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,
Stacy

Wow, that's a lovely way of thinking about it. Well the Edge here in the UK is 45% more compared with the regular. I am now waiting on the Bank Managers approval. If given the all clear I'll be ordering the Edge next week. If not then I'll have to think about settling for the regular.

Hopefully, it will go to plan and the Edge will be on its way soon?!

Seiko4169
sage

Re: Which CPC? new [Re: Seiko4169]
      #5838340 - 05/03/13 12:58 PM

Just a quick follow up to this. I have after far too much deliberation finally ordered the cpc 1100 deluxe. Thanks to everyone who helped me make the decision, all helped. Of course if I don't like it I can blame you guys right and get a whip round for the refund?

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
      #5838844 - 05/03/13 06:03 PM

Hey! You'll enjoy your new scope and I'll personally vouch to having no knowledge of any suggestions and/or recommendations regards said subject.

Hope the weather cooperates when it arrives and have fun!

Stacy
Star Partyer

Re: Which CPC? new [Re: herrointment]
      #5844801 - 05/07/13 12:34 AM

I'd recommend some high end glass for the other end as well.

The ep I find myself using the most is a 17mm Nagler. A 13 T6 is also a joy. The Ethos are really nice but 2nd hand Naglers are a fantastic bargain. JMHO

Seiko4169
sage

#5844975 - 05/07/13 06:39 AM

Thanks, yes, I need to decide on a few eyepieces. I was thinking about trying to complete the celestron luminos line as I thought the 31mm would be useful. That and the supplied 23mm along with my baader zoom would keep me going whilst I looked to complete the range?

Any thoughts on the Luminos line of eyepieces?

Stacy
Star Partyer

#5845502 - 05/07/13 12:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks, yes, I need to decide on a few eyepieces. I was thinking about trying to complete the celestron luminos line as I thought the 31mm would be useful. That and the supplied 23mm along with my baader zoom would keep me going whilst I looked to complete the range?

Any thoughts on the Luminos line of eyepieces?

Yes, I had a complete set of them. I probably overpaid for a few of them in the interest of completing the set, but got great deals on the ones included with the scopes (23mm I think?)

However, the ER can be tight and possibly a little under what is published. And I found the design to be a little uncomfortable to use (wide and flat on the top).

When I tried a couple of a friends Naglers and his 41 Panoptic at a star party once, I immediately sold the entire set to a gentleman in France and began acquiring used Naglers in a range of sizes and the 41 Panoptic. I cannot give you all the technical details of the difference in the view, but I will tell you the Naglers just looked amazing. When I discussed this with my friend (Spaced , of Goldendale Star Party fame) and my hesitation on the expense, he mater-of-factually explained "you only need a few, and you only need to buy them once".

At the time, the Ethos were just coming out and the used market was flooded with "like new" Naglers of all sizes from people who were upgrading to the Ethos. I took advantage of this and acquired 11, 13, 17, 20, 26, 31 Naglers a 2X Powermate and the 41 Panoptic. Of these I rarely use the 20, 26 or the Poewermate (not sure why, just seems to happen that way).

Anyway, the nice thing about it was it got me off the Eyepiece tread-wheel. I was always trading this for that and trying out one of these or those! I am extremely happy with my ep's and don't feel the need to shop anymore.

As far as this topic goes, I don't think you can do a whole lot better than gently used Naglers value-wise for your 11" SCT. As always, JMHO.

Stacy

Stacy
Star Partyer

#5845958 - 05/07/13 03:37 PM

OK, I just checked. My Celestron EP's were actually the "Axiom LX", which was the predecessor to the Luminos. I think the Luminos might have slightly different specs. and be a bit more affordable. YMMV

Stacy

Seiko4169
sage

#5845969 - 05/07/13 03:41 PM

Well I'd picked up a 23mm Axiom before ordering the cpc and am going to sell the axiom and keep the luminos. I always hear great things about the Naglers but don't see many come up for sale in the UK. The only reason I thought about the luminos was to build a set. I really wouldn't know where to start with the Naglers though?

Stacy
Star Partyer

#5846200 - 05/07/13 05:48 PM

Quote:

Well I'd picked up a 23mm Axiom before ordering the cpc and am going to sell the axiom and keep the luminos. I always hear great things about the Naglers but don't see many come up for sale in the UK. The only reason I thought about the luminos was to build a set. I really wouldn't know where to start with the Naglers though?

I thought the 23 Axiom was the best of the bunch and might be a keeper over the Luminos.

If you were considering Naglers, I would start with a used 17mm Type 4. Great ER and probably my most used EP. If you like that, then you could build on it. Say an 11 or 13 Type 6 maybe. Check the various classified boards like here or Astromart. Many are willing to ship international. I have on many occasion.

A 17mm Type 4 just went on 5/1 for $230 on Astromart. That is what I would look for If I were you. Such a deal! New is $440 and I doubt you could tell the difference from new as most astronomers take very good care of their stuff and are honest about it's condition in my experience.

Personally, I believe that used Naglers represent one of the best values and possibly THE best value in eyepieces of any kind. I mean really, what can you get for $230 in a high quality 16-18 eyepiece?

Of course, these are just my opinions. Certainly there are many, many choices. Just head over to the EP forum where there are frequent knock-down, drag-out .... uh "conversations" about eyepieces lol. People can be quite passionate about their choices and reasonings concerning eyepieces.

Stacy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3170

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics