Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Moonlight SCT focuser question new
      #5820636 - 04/24/13 07:34 PM

I am about to pull the trigger on a MoonLite CS Model SCT Focusers (Flange=3 1/4" Meade Thread Regular Profile Drawtube=.85" travel Brass comp ring Color=Blue Knob/Motor=High Res Stepper Motor w/MoonLite Mini V2 Controller.

This will be for my 14" LX850. I intend to control focus using my PC via The Sky X Pro.

Have I made an acceptable choice here? Any pitfalls I should know of?
Thanks


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more
*****

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Moonlight SCT focuser question new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5820727 - 04/24/13 08:06 PM

That's the focuser I have on my AT12RC. It's plenty strong enough for my QSI camera; I think you have one as well. For a significantly heavier camera, or an 8 position 2" filter wheel, the CSL version would be better.

BTW - that focuser is now available with a rotator, too (saw one last weekend). You might consider that...


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Moonlight SCT focuser question new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5820746 - 04/24/13 08:19 PM

Quote:

That's the focuser I have on my AT12RC. It's plenty strong enough for my QSI camera; I think you have one as well. For a significantly heavier camera, or an 8 position 2" filter wheel, the CSL version would be better.

BTW - that focuser is now available with a rotator, too (saw one last weekend). You might consider that...




See this is why I posted this. I would have bought the wrong thing! I'll call them tomorrow and talk about it with them. I also need to buy a focuser for my refractor. Oh well, it's only money.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MHamburg
scholastic sledgehammer
*****

Reged: 06/21/06

Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA
Re: Moonlight SCT focuser question new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5820820 - 04/24/13 09:03 PM

Have you considered their hi-res stepper motor option? It makes fine focusing a dream.
Michael


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Moonlight SCT focuser question new [Re: MHamburg]
      #5820947 - 04/24/13 10:07 PM

Quote:

Have you considered their hi-res stepper motor option? It makes fine focusing a dream.
Michael




Yes, see my original post.

Now John has me buying the CSL version and tomorrow I am going to call and ask about the rotator.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 10/03/06

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
Re: Moonlight SCT focuser question new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5820954 - 04/24/13 10:13 PM

I've got the CSL on my 14", well worth it! The little clutch is super handy for visual!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Moonlight SCT focuser question new [Re: PGW Steve]
      #5820976 - 04/24/13 10:25 PM

Good to hear. I just got permission from my wife to make the purchase.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more
*****

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Moonlight SCT focuser question new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5821119 - 04/25/13 12:03 AM

Quote:

Now John has me buying the CSL version




I wasn't trying to push you into anything!

I've owned several of each (CS and CSL) and all have done a great job. I have owned some cameras (like the STL-11K with 8 pos 2" wheel) that needed the CSL but with my QSI683WSG-8 the CS focuser I had lying around works fine (just had them make me a flange to fit the RC). Now I have to decide whether to update by adding the rotator.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
budman1961
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
Re: Moonlight SCT focuser question new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5821152 - 04/25/13 12:38 AM

AAAA++++ for the Moonlite. I had one on my LX200 10", with the FR threading, DC motor, and it was awesome. I really recommend the stepper option, with your new rig, the 200 or so bucks is well worth it.

Ron Newman is owner/designer/salesman......call the # on the site, chances are he will answer the phone. His support is fantastic, and he knows his way around the skies. Ask if he has any blems left over from NEAF.....save a few bucks on a nearly invisible surface anomaly!

By all means, make sure you have the PC/USB focus integration......

Andy

Edited by budman1961 (04/25/13 12:41 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Moonlight SCT focuser question new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5821162 - 04/25/13 12:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Now John has me buying the CSL version




I wasn't trying to push you into anything!

I've owned several of each (CS and CSL) and all have done a great job. I have owned some cameras (like the STL-11K with 8 pos 2" wheel) that needed the CSL but with my QSI683WSG-8 the CS focuser I had lying around works fine (just had them make me a flange to fit the RC). Now I have to decide whether to update by adding the rotator.




I know but you are right. The cost difference isn't very much considering everything.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Moonlight SCT focuser question [Re: budman1961]
      #5821164 - 04/25/13 12:49 AM

Quote:

AAAA++++ for the Moonlite. I had one on my LX200 10", with the FR threading, DC motor, and it was awesome. I really recommend the stepper option, with your new rig, the 200 or so bucks is well worth it.

Ron Newman is owner/designer/salesman......call the # on the site, chances are he will answer the phone. His support is fantastic, and he knows his way around the skies. Ask if he has any blems left over from NEAF.....save a few bucks on a nearly invisible surface anomaly!

By all means, make sure you have the PC/USB focus integration......

Andy




Great advice! The more I save the more I can put towards the MCX!!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Moonlight SCT focuser question new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5824329 - 04/26/13 12:47 PM

Quote:

That's the focuser I have on my AT12RC. It's plenty strong enough for my QSI camera; I think you have one as well. For a significantly heavier camera, or an 8 position 2" filter wheel, the CSL version would be better.

BTW - that focuser is now available with a rotator, too (saw one last weekend). You might consider that...




CLS with rotator ordered!! Ron is awesome to deal with like others have said. Very excited to get this focuser/rotator.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WesC
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: Moonlight SCT focuser question new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5824481 - 04/26/13 01:52 PM

Sweet! Put up some pics when you get it installed. Those Moonlights are lovely.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1


Extra information
12 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 564

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics