Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1
ROBERT FREE
sage

Reged: 03/20/11

Loc: SARASOTA,FL
Mercury and Venus Updates
      #5821836 - 04/25/13 11:29 AM

venus now 7 deg east of the sun,and easily seen in daylite with any scope but an equatorial mount is essential as its still too close to see in any finder.at 200x its a very nice distinct round ball but slowly it will increase in size as it heads towards the earth.i just looked at it at 11 am est 4pm UT I recommend a 40mm eyepiece to pick it up in main scope. mercury around 17 deg west of the sun at -05,and fairly bright is still not ez to find in main scope because its shrinking in size.at least an 8" scope with a 40mm ep is best bet but a relaxed eye is only way to spot it and once found at least 200X is needed to see the tiny ball. in the next month or two both will be so much better. clear skies all.

Edited by ROBERT FREE (04/25/13 11:34 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ROBERT FREE
sage

Re: Mercury and Venus Updates new [Re: ROBERT FREE]
      #5831974 - 04/30/13 10:52 AM

ok april coming to a close an VENUS,pulling away from the sun. I was observing venus today 4-29-13 and mercury since 10.00 am est 3pm ut an it shows a crisp round disk using a 40mm ep(50x)in my 8'sct ,at 200x its very large an distinct but it will be a few weeks until it really gets interesting as it increases in diameter getting closer to earth an away from the sun. its phase illumination is 0.990 and mercury is almost the same at 0.893,but venus. is double in size at 10.5 in of arc and mercury is at 5.3 an shrinking as its only 13 deg away from the sun an receding from earth yet brightening at -0.9 mercury can be seen with not too much difficulty in daylite but again an 8" scope is the least aperture to catch the very small disk, and an orange #21 filter helps.conversely venus can be picked up with any scope near the sun 8.3 deg east an is -3.9 mag. you can use the sun as a reference point an offset to find venus and mercury. use this table to get the co-ordinates for the sun an all the major planets.http://astropixels.com/ephemeris/sun/sun2013.html
as always clear skies.

Edited by ROBERT FREE (04/30/13 11:05 AM)

ROBERT FREE
sage

#5838247 - 05/03/13 12:15 PM

just a note ,the sun had some fantastic sunspots on its surface today an the detail was very sharp and the air was very steady here in sunny florida. For any of you that have never viewed mercury or in daylite now is a great chance to see it, as its magnitude is -1.2 an for the next few days will brighten, but in about 5 days it will be too close to the sun.in reality the end of this month an into june the magnitude decreases but mercury gets much larger an although fainter it will be much better as it goes from gibbous phase to 1/2 an then to crescent as it gets closer to the earth an goes into the evening sky.right now its about a fist held out arms length to the right of the sun an 3 fingers to the south. it cannot be seen in any finder so at least again an 8" with a widefield low power will pick it up,its very tiny like a flys eye but bright an at 150X the round ball is prominent. with venus in the sky too the left of the sun about a fist (10 deg) it can be used along with the sun as a marker.set the sun in scope with proper filter an offset ist to venus which is very ez ,then to mercury. clear skies and good luck. mercury today 3-5-13 is at ra 2hr 3 mins dec +11.06

Edited by ROBERT FREE (05/03/13 12:18 PM)

ROBERT FREE
sage

#5849866 - 05/09/13 11:45 AM

mercury in the suns glare moving rapidly, an by end of month it will be visible and ideal to view with venus both east of the sun.many will see it as the sun goes down in the west, but of course daylite viewing is preferred telescopically as seeing it overhead thru less atmosphere is what many astronomers have done in years past and presently. right now venus is moving closer to the earth and growing in size and soon will be changing its phase from almost full now to gibbous then 1/2 phase which is where spots and markings have been frequently seen and other strange anomaly,like thickening cusps and some noticeable large white spots popping up.venus as most know is covered with clouds and has sulpuric acid in its upper atmosphere probably due from volcanic activity. I myself have witnessed them in the past and are very curious. venus is my favorite planet despite being covered exclusively with clouds but now an then though kinda rare things pop thru an we can get a small glancejust below the cloud layer.any thoughts would be well appreciated.clear skies.

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
      #5851313 - 05/10/13 03:15 AM

Triple conjunction coming up this month too. Jupiter, Mercury and Venus all in the same binocular view. Believe it is on the 26th but could be wrong.

ROBERT FREE
sage

Re: Mercury and Venus Updates new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5853974 - 05/11/13 03:03 PM

im not sure of the date but ill be looking for that.thanks bud jesus is my buddy too.

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
      #5854779 - 05/12/13 03:09 AM

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/10may_sunsettriangle/

may 26th is the day

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 668

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics