Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IDONTSEEIT
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/04/03

Loc: NYC
Re: Carl Sagan's Cosmos Free on Hulu new [Re: Jason H.]
      #5812077 - 04/20/13 11:35 PM

Quote:

~snip~Carl was a popularizer, plain and simple.~snip~

This^^^

I believe a modern day version of Carl Sagan is Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson. He gets criticized a lot for "dumbing down science", but I think he makes science interesting.

When we watch a program with him either narrating or teaching/lecturing, my kids stay glued to the TV and then, after the show, I get swamped with questions which I either encourage them to look up themselves, especially If I don't know the answer , and/or we look it up together.

Most other programs, even science related ones, don't usually result in as many questions nor generate the interest that programs with Dr. Tyson in them do, and as far as I'm concerned I think that's a good thing for Dr. Tyson and his fans.

And to stay on topic, I like(d) Carl Sagan too......

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
deSitter
Still in Old School

Reged: 12/09/04

#5812321 - 04/21/13 04:42 AM

I did see the uncut original on PBS. It was awful. I remember being astonished at how the culture of science had changed just since 1973 when the "Ascent of Man" was released (which I saw in the late 70s). The show was about Sagan and his personal opinions and slanted viewpoint. The overly emotional tone and cloying music and bad special effects and misplaced grandiosity were sickening. The real cosmos, the one of mystery and stark realities, seemed missing.

I could not quite understand my reaction at the time - there was little on the TV in the way of science at all, and much less on astronomy in particular, so I had anticipated this series with great relish. But, I had been a subscriber to Sky and Telescope and had noticed a steep decline in editorial content. The space program had come to a grinding halt. The society around me had turned hedonist/narcissist, something I wanted no part of. "Cosmos" simply confirmed what I already suspected, that we were moving away from rationality and toward celebrity and self-involvement.

-drl

Quote:

Quote:

I was there in real time, saw it happen. Knew what was coming.

It seems from what you said that you prophesied and then fulfilled it.

I was there too! Carl even got my mother (the ultimate non-scientist) into the subject. So much so even that she came with me to watch Carl Sagan do a talk with Isaac Asimov at Carnegie Hall in New York City. Should one accuse Isaac Asimov of the same cult building damage for his speculations in the book Extraterrestrial Civilizations, filled with hypotheses and speculations that would now be considered inaccurate (but the guy was the most prolific science-writing popularizer on Earth, and wrote some good science fiction too!)

Carl was a popularizer, plain and simple. Of course there were inaccuracies IN THE '70's!!! Please, some people even believed in Velikovsky's World's in Collision back then! (and please note Carl's countering that as a planetary scientist in the wikipedia article!) And he was countering mysticism and astrology and other belief systems of the time. The things people believed just after the hippie age were necessarily counteracted with stylized popularization, the audience was child-like. And nobody even knew for sure if exoplanets existed yet, and it was even still possible (to a few) that a Steady-State universe existed (back then.) Give the guy a break, he's dead, from another era, would one bash Copernicus for not knowing about the Oort cloud? Besides, if you read the link I provided, you'll see that numerous updates have been made to the series to reflect changes in knowledge, and one series version was significantly edited down to allow for commercials (My mother and I watched the un-cut original series on PBS, and it's what got me even more interested in the subject, and look at what happened to me the staunchest advocate of the scientific method); maybe you were looking at the original series only (with outdated material), or the commercial cut ones? That would really skew ones viewpoint.

Jason H.

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: Carl Sagan's Cosmos Free on Hulu new [Re: IDONTSEEIT]
      #5814163 - 04/21/13 09:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

~snip~Carl was a popularizer, plain and simple.~snip~

This^^^

I believe a modern day version of Carl Sagan is Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson. He gets criticized a lot for "dumbing down science", but I think he makes science interesting.

When we watch a program with him either narrating or teaching/lecturing, my kids stay glued to the TV and then, after the show, I get swamped with questions which I either encourage them to look up themselves, especially If I don't know the answer , and/or we look it up together.

Most other programs, even science related ones, don't usually result in as many questions nor generate the interest that programs with Dr. Tyson in them do, and as far as I'm concerned I think that's a good thing for Dr. Tyson and his fans.

And to stay on topic, I like(d) Carl Sagan too......

I like Dr. Tyson quite a bit. My main complaint about him is that he isn't visible enough. He needs a better publicist.

Jason H.
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/07

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Carl Sagan's Cosmos Free on Hulu new [Re: llanitedave]
      #5814370 - 04/21/13 11:01 PM

I like Dr. Tyson quite a bit. My main complaint about him is that he isn't visible enough. He needs a better publicist.

I once looked into having him stop in to our Astronomical Society (when I was the Publicity Chairperson and member of that organization) and I found out that he was to be visiting the region during Harmony Dark Sky Festival to do a talk at that town's high school, so I tried to contact him, and his publicist got back to me, they wanted $20,000 plus travel and accommodations (too steep for our miniscule budget for a 1.5 hour meeting.)

Maybe that's always the case, economics limiting the opportunities?

Jason H.

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
      #5814373 - 04/21/13 11:03 PM

OK, then he needs a cheaper publicist.

ggiles

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Trenton Ontario Canada
Re: Carl Sagan's Cosmos Free on Hulu new [Re: llanitedave]
      #5814827 - 04/22/13 08:48 AM

He needs a head shake ... $20 Grand! I'd feel ashamed to take that ... but then again I'm justs a peas and carrots guy not steak and lobster.

deSitter
Still in Old School

Reged: 12/09/04

Re: Carl Sagan's Cosmos Free on Hulu new [Re: ggiles]
      #5814953 - 04/22/13 10:25 AM

I love Tyson - that guy really captures the excitement of science for the public. He's pretty immune from hype.

-drl

Glassthrower
Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

Reged: 04/07/05

Loc: Oort Cloud 9
Re: Carl Sagan's Cosmos Free on Hulu new [Re: deSitter]
      #5817735 - 04/23/13 03:03 PM

Given the "reality TV" garbage that passes for entertainment these days, I'd kill for a rerun of the Cosmos series over 99.9% of the tripe on television now. Even the so-called "science" channels are nothing but trainwrecks now. I can't remember the last time I saw real science on TV.

Case in point - the Learning Channel. Most popular program on that network? Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.

Sagan can't be blamed for that.

Us dinosaurs from the 1970's and before, need to view modern science television in a relative way. Even Kaku seems like an Einstein compared to most pseudocelebrities on TV now.

DrBoring

Reged: 04/04/13

Loc: Western Ohio
Re: Carl Sagan's Cosmos Free on Hulu new [Re: Glassthrower]
      #5821880 - 04/25/13 11:48 AM

Wow, as the OP - this really took a strange turn!

dickbill
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/30/08

Re: Carl Sagan's Cosmos Free on Hulu [Re: DrBoring]
      #5822092 - 04/25/13 01:07 PM

NOVA is good

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1768

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics