Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Shows & Conferences

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
gatorengineer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/28/05

Loc: Hellertown, PA
Re: NEAF observations... new [Re: George N]
      #5818583 - 04/23/13 08:27 PM

Well, with ISON just a few months away, this could / may be the biggest thing to happen to the hobby since hubble..... Hopefully it will get some interest going nationally, and get the schools thinking scientifically instead of socially.

NEAF is what NEAF is, and has become, but our local club is now standing room only at meetings, which is a good thing (LVAAS)....

Gear is as cheap as it ever has been. New products however have largely dried up, even though vendors like Explore are hitting home runs, they cant seem to fill their orders....

I wish Astronomics the best and hope they make it next year, and again want to thank them for this site.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PF9000

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: NJ
Re: NEAF observations... new [Re: gatorengineer]
      #5818838 - 04/23/13 10:54 PM

This was my third NEAF. My first one was about 15 years ago. My second one was two years. Not sure why I missed all those intervening years. Especially considering I live in NJ only about a half hour drive from the show. What got me there this year was the desire to get up close and personal with the Celestron AVX mount. When I went by the Celestron booth they didn't have it plugged in. I asked if they could hook up the Powertank so that I could play with it. They did it ASAP. The reps were friendly and helpful. The only problem was that the rep who was demonstrating it for me said the Dec motor hadn't been working all day for some reason. The reason, as I quickly and politely pointed out, was that there wasn't any dec cable present. The dec motor wasn't plugged in! All day mind you. I can only hope this lack of product knowledge was do to a lack of sleep. On the bright side, I loved the mount. It was smoother and quieter than I expected. In fact, this may be the mount that finally gets me into computerized astronomy after all these years. In any event, I'm fairly certain that I'll be back at NEAF next year. Love looking at all that high end equipment I'll never own. :-)

Paul

bierbelly
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/04

Loc: Sterling, VA
Re: NEAF observations... new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5819979 - 04/24/13 02:54 PM

Quote:

About a year ago, my nephew called me over to his computer to show me something "really cool"--Google Sky. "Isn't that cool Uncle Rex? Now you don't have to go outside to look at the stars!".

Well, at least it's never clouded over...

Edited by bierbelly (04/24/13 02:59 PM)

jturie

Reged: 11/19/12

Loc: Valley Forge, PA
Re: NEAF observations... [Re: George N]
      #5823137 - 04/25/13 09:05 PM

Quote:

One of the reasons for the amateur astronomy community’s high number of middle age men is that over the last 10 to 15 years a new group has been coming into the hobby that is in that age demographic. These are the technocrats: MDs, scientists, engineers, whose kids are out of the house, and who are no longer healthy enough for ‘extreme sports’, and such. They are looking for a cool new hobby that fits in with their technical skills, and they have found it: CCD imaging! Many of the imagers I’ve run into were not into astronomy as a hobby before the CCD, computers, GoTo, drew then in. Their interest in visual observing is often limited.

George, you hit it right on the money, at least for me. I've always been interested in Astronomy, and had a telescope from age 12 to age 20. Then college, work, marriage, kids, bills, and life in general got in the way. I am an engineer by degree and an IT guy by profession. Just got a telescope this past Christmas, joined my local club, and am having a ball. All this at age 58.

I also think it's my revolt against the Internet and the world of computers and insipid Television. It's incredibly enjoyable to sit out in the dark by myself or with like-minded people just enjoying the simple show.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2759

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics