Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
rg55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/02/08

Loc: western US
Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: Eric63]
      #5809845 - 04/19/13 11:38 PM

Quote:

Now this is where my 127mm Mak shines! Just amazing on the moon.
Eric

For a quick, light grab and go for the Moon, I totally agree.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
larrytOMC200
sage

Reged: 07/05/07

Loc: New Zealand
Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: curiosidad]
      #5810049 - 04/20/13 03:59 AM

Hi,
I saw your post and would like to say that 8 years ago I took the plunge and bought an Orion Optics(UK) OMC200,- orion optics makssutov 8 inch F20 scope. I wanted a telescope that was more suited to lunar observing and planetary observing. I have never regretted that decision. When the seeing is good the detail and contrast is superb. I allso use this scope for imaging and it has a good image scale at the prime focus without the need for barlows. Strangely enough, it gives pleasing views of globulars and small planetaries as well. Anyway, I just thought I would let you people know my thloughts on my telescope. Keep well. Larry

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: larrytOMC200]
      #5810937 - 04/20/13 01:38 PM

Oohh - an OMC 200! Now there's a scope I've been lusting for, for years. Never been able to afford one.

And that is gives pleasing views of planetaries and globulars is no surprise to me. It should also be killer on small galaxies. I would not hesitate to hunt small galaxies with it.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: rg55]
      #5812760 - 04/21/13 10:55 AM

Hi Richard

I have seen your images of the moon with the 180 Mak and I am truly blown away. To me, the Mak was designed for the moon . Eventually I see myself upgrading to a larger Mak, but first I was to see how much the seeing here will let me upgrade

Eric

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
      #5818655 - 04/23/13 09:16 PM

My TV76 on a good night will show plenty and can go up to 60x per inch of aperture if the conditions are right. They rarely are. But I can see plenty with a 3.7mm Ethos at 130x or, with the 4.7E, at 102x. Having said that, if I have time for the slightly slower set up for a 4" (different mount, two trips), I prefer it.

Almost any scope will show satisfying views of the moon, IMO.

Bill

rg55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/02/08

Loc: western US
Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: la200o]
      #5818783 - 04/23/13 10:25 PM Attachment (57 downloads)

Here's some Moon taken through my 5" Mak. NexImage 5 camera.

Edited by rg55 (04/23/13 10:27 PM)

doug mc

Reged: 03/21/09

Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia
Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5818930 - 04/23/13 11:32 PM

One that is well baffeled for stray light. The moon puts out a lot of light into your scope. scattered light ruins the view

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
      #5819727 - 04/24/13 12:47 PM

That's really nice Richard. I'm new at lunar observing and I just love the view in my 127Mak. I often view at 200X and it can easily take 250X. I'm now flocking my 150F5 Newt and can't wait to test it on the moon.

To think that last year I hated when the moon was out since I affected DSO viewing. Now I'm dissapointed when it is NOT out.

Eric

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
      #5823634 - 04/26/13 06:00 AM

Visual observing Moon & Planets = refractor ( I use a 152 mm achro to observe visually ).

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
      #5823818 - 04/26/13 08:55 AM

Quote:

Here's some Moon taken through my 5" Mak. NexImage 5 camera.

How did it look when you were actually using your eyes, not the camera?

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: curiosidad]
      #5823835 - 04/26/13 09:03 AM

Quote:

Hello,
It is often said that to observe the moon, almost any telescope goes well.
But, in his opinion there is some model above the rest to be a little better for lunar observation?
From what aperture lunar observation becomes interesting, detailed and serious observation?
greetings

There are levels of lunar detail to suit most any aperture and type of telescope that you point at the Moon. But if you are interested in finer surface detail, you will need larger aperture. Of course, I can see the most detail with my 10" Dob, but I still enjoy taking out the 90mm Mak for grab-n-go views of the Moon.

The only telescope I have which I do not think is a good Moon scope is my ST80. IME, fast refractors, especially small ones, have too much chromatic aberration for enjoyable lunar observing. At least I didn't like it. My 100mm f/9.8 achromat wasn't bad for lunar, but I still prefer reflectors when viewing the Moon. Whether Newt, Mak or SCT, I think they give a cleaner, purer image. Just my preference. I'm sure an APO would be fine for lunar, but I doubt if I'll ever have one of those.

Also, IMO & IME, binoculars do not cut it for Moon viewing. Just not enough magnification for a good look, even in my 25x100 binos.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? [Re: azure1961p]
      #5823867 - 04/26/13 09:25 AM

Pete,

Quote:

I realy considered mirror grinding some months ago. The hundreds of hours involved for the size I wanted and the improbability of success was a total downer. If I were younger with more hours in my day than I have now I'd be compelled. Such as it is tho - I have no such time budget or patience to make a 400 hour flop.

I agree. My time is worth something. I'd rather take my chances with the Chinese Mirror Lottery or buy a mirror special made for me by a skilled craftsman.

But so far my luck with the Chinese Mirror Lottery has been pretty good!

Mike

pdxmoon
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/27/13

Loc: Oregon
Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5956833 - 07/05/13 10:38 PM

Resurrecting this because I'm in the agony of buying a scope primarily for lunar viewing.

I have to tell you I prefer a refractor; I'm not up to messing with collmenation; if I have to worry about that, the scope will never get used.

I want to keep scope, mount and eyepieces in the 1k range.

I've had the following suggestions:

Vixen ED80s with a Porta II
SkyWatcher 100ED with Porta Mount or a cobbled together heartier mount that sets me back between $400 or $450 (and a bit over budget.)

I'm wondering about this:
Celestron Omni

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

A6Q6
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/31/11

Loc: Stroudsburg,Pa,U.S.A
Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: pdxmoon]
      #5957856 - 07/06/13 04:50 PM

what do you have now? How about a used one. I just got a classic orange tube Celestron 5 that I think is from 1980-83 the optics are unbelievable. I got it at a pawn shop for only $100. Bigger is not always better. Its all about the time you have to setup, location(seeing)and what you have to spend. If you get a good used scope that is easy to set up you will use it more. Down the road you can get something bigger, but a good grab and go is always a great thing to have. The little C5 has become that for me.

photonovore
Moonatic

Reged: 12/24/04

Loc: tacoma wa
      #5957865 - 07/06/13 04:54 PM

Depends on how much of a hurry you are in. ~5" is the minimum aperture i'd want.

Hurry: The 120 omni seems a reasonable choice-- altho i know nothing about the optical quality--so i would only buy with return rights (which really goes for any scope--cause you never know...). I'd be sure and add the drives (129$) and an orion accufocuser (60$) as well.. Any aid that eliminates *touching* the scope during use is a big plus--elec focuser + driven mount= zero observing frustration.

If time is your friend:
AR-5 w/ the LXD-75 mount (~300$ota+500$mount). Little color and when unlimited by seeing the resolution you will get is simply extraordinary. The mount is much better then the Omni's too of course. But, downside, you'd have to wait, stalk the classifieds and spend a couple hundred extra for this option.

Either way, you'll need a diagonal: GSO/Owl dielectric 2" diagonal w/ 1.25 adapter is a good choice (~100$)-- but with just the Moon a good 90% reflectivity diagonal (GSO) will do just fine (~70$). And a good 2x ED barlow will keep ep costs down. EP's are easy to overspend on. My favs are unobtainium these days (Apogee orthos) but I can say this: "ortho" (or expensive) doesn't necessarily mean "good"--I have gotten *better* resolution from cheap GSO plossls (Owl Astronomy) than from UO orthos for example. Speaking of Owl, they currently carry the Parks line (Lumicon) which, if *i* was shopping ep's, i'd take a hard look at. He might make you a deal if you get a package of a barlow, a couple of parks silver line ep's (100$) and a diagonal. Limit minimum focal lengths based upon the 50x/inch rule. A good ~10mm and ~17mm is about all you'd need with either scope (1000-1200mm) to get started along with a decent ED barlow. If you really get into this you'll want a binoviewer down the road.

The Moon is, optically, a very pedestrian (undemanding) target. All you need to enjoy it is good narrow/mid field monochromatic resolution and this can be had without resorting to pricey optical exotica. A 1K budget, wisely spent, should set you up very nicely.

pdxmoon
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: photonovore]
      #5958854 - 07/07/13 12:30 PM

A6Q6, I have a Celestron Firstscope 80EQ. It's been a good scope, but I'm about to lose it to my son, so I'll be without. I'd like to stick with a refractor.

I've been thinking about moving up to a Skywatcher 100ED, or the 80ED, or the Vixen 80ED. If I could find any of these used, I'd probably go for it.

I want it almost exclusively for the moon. I'm also not opposed to another 80mm f/11. I can deal with the small amount of CA I may get.

Edited by barnum54 (07/07/13 12:31 PM)

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5959167 - 07/07/13 03:46 PM

The refractor forum would offer excellent advice Barnum!

Pete

pdxmoon
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5959170 - 07/07/13 03:50 PM

Thank you--the refractor forum has given me good counsel!

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
      #5971085 - 07/14/13 07:47 PM

Back when I had my C8, it gave me some great views when it was cooled down & the atmosphere cooperated properly. Like Thomas said above, aperture is very important so that you can pump up the power w/o the image getting too dim due to the exit pupil issues. Contrast is the best with a refractor, but the small aperture limits how much power you can use effectively. More aperture = better resolution too. The moon usually looks impressive with any decent scope, but if you really want to get good, detailed close-up views at 300X or higher, I recommend at least 8" of aperture.

Da Bear
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/21/06

Loc: Kali-Forn-Ya
Re: There is the telescope "perfect" for the Moon? [Re: coopman]
      #5976099 - 07/17/13 02:17 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

My 8" f/8 Cave reflector is a great moon scope, and I can use a 4mm ep on nights with great seeing.

Da Bear

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4250

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics