Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Sean13
sage

Reged: 11/17/12

Loc: North Platte, Nebraska
Re: Unattended Telescope Security? new [Re: Spaced]
      #5820272 - 04/24/13 05:09 PM

Now does your insurance cover the scope and equipment no matter where it is, or only if it is stolen/damaged on your own property? I'm very interested in adding this to my insurance if possible. Thanks a ton for that idea!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Unattended Telescope Security? new [Re: Sean13]
      #5820290 - 04/24/13 05:19 PM

As I understand it, anywhere. Ask your broker . . . and you're very welcome.

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Unattended Telescope Security? new [Re: Pharquart]
      #5820349 - 04/24/13 05:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

When I returned to the scope all caps had been remove and were missing. I looked around at the milling crowd and saw a young teenager with my 8" OTA cover in his hand.

Those OTA caps have a really high street value, after all.

I've always figured that some venues or activities lend themselves to more honorable behavior. I've done tons of tent camping my whole life. If there was ever a place with tons of gear, some very expensive, left out in the open, unsecured, that would be it. I rarely worry about it, and I've (fortunately) never had anything stolen. When I was a kid growing up in Wisconsin, deer hunting was a big thing in November. You park the car along side the road where you walk into the woods. Lock it, sure. But you don't want to carry jangly keys with you in the woods, so what do you do with them? Put them on top of the right front tire. I'll bet I could walk up to 20 cars along side the road during deer season, and 19 of them would have the car keys on the right front tire. Not only could you steal whatever was in the car, you could steal the car! Maybe it's changed since then. If there's a sudden rash of car thefts during deer season now, I'll alert the cops to start browsing the astronomy forums!

Brian

LOL! This issue with my OTA cap is that my CPC was one of the first designed and put on the market in 2005-2006. They changed the configuration of the cover a bit. I don't think I could even get a replacement that would fit. Maybe Celestron would have one in the back of their storeroom.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Unattended Telescope Security? new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5820561 - 04/24/13 07:15 PM

+1

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Unattended Telescope Security? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5820765 - 04/24/13 08:33 PM

Quote:

If there is one saving grace in this hobby concerning theft, it is that thieves would have a very hard time disposing of the goods. It's not like TVs or stereos or guns, which are always in demand on the underground market. Very few pawn shop owners (read: fences) have any idea how to price telescopes.

Unfortunately, one piece of astro-related gear that pawn shops (and thieves) are able to readily understand the sellable value of are binoculars. If you have a nice set, that's probably the most theft-attractive piece of astro equipment you have, vulnerable because it's so easily and quickly carried off.

Edited by FirstSight (04/24/13 08:40 PM)

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

Reged: 08/01/07

Loc: Blue Island Illinois
Re: Unattended Telescope Security? new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5821960 - 04/25/13 12:28 PM

I have been to a dozen star parties and I have never had issues with theft. I do put my eyepieces away when I am wandering about as I am more concerned with accidents rather than theft.

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: Unattended Telescope Security? new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5822664 - 04/25/13 05:23 PM

True, but apparently large telescopes are being stolen too. I have heard of observatories being broken into and everything taken, and we are talking about thousands of bucks worth of property being stolen. I agree with you, I know pawn shops are legally sanctioned fences, because I know where the police go to start tracking down stolen property and thieves.

Taras

Mr. Bill
Postmaster

Reged: 02/09/05

Loc: Northeastern Cal
Re: Unattended Telescope Security? new [Re: Achernar]
      #5822708 - 04/25/13 05:50 PM

Had a Nagler ep "walk off" many years ago at Fremont Peak (Ca)SP. I had stepped away from my scope to visit another observer and had charts and eps on the tailgate of my truck.

After that, I prominately engraved my eps with my name on the barrel and never had a problem after that.

OBTW, sold many of those to friends or others at swap meets. They didn't care as I discounted the price and it also gave them the same benefits of discouraging theft.

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Unattended Telescope Security? new [Re: Mr. Bill]
      #5823226 - 04/25/13 09:50 PM

Does anybody stealing eyepieces in the dark stop to check and see if they are engraved before pocketing the EP? That would amaze me.

Glad it's worked for you.

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Unattended Telescope Security? new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5823428 - 04/26/13 12:18 AM

It's like Braille, Jim.

I heartily endorse the personal articles insurance. Covers everything. My big fear isn't theft or vandalism, though, sure one should be careful, but the result of an auto accident while travelling tonorvfrom a dark site. I've seen plenty if accidents from which a person would walk away that would finish your gear.

The insurance can, if you write it to, also protect from "stupidity" on your part. Say you drop an Ethos on that pretty 20" Zambuto mirror, shattering them both? Covered. You may not ever get another such policy but it would give one do over.

Mr. Bill
Postmaster

Reged: 02/09/05

Loc: Northeastern Cal
Re: Unattended Telescope Security? [Re: rockethead26]
      #5824094 - 04/26/13 10:54 AM

Quote:

Does anybody stealing eyepieces in the dark stop to check and see if they are engraved before pocketing the EP? That would amaze me.

Glad it's worked for you.

It's not dark...I have a red light in the shell for reading charts and the eps and engravings are easily seen.

The other advantage to engraving your eps is when you are trading eps around with other observers...it's easy to get confused at 3AM. This has happened a couple of times in the past. For some reason TV (or anyone else AFAIK) doesn't have serial numbers on their eps to identify one from other.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Unattended Telescope Security? new [Re: Mr. Bill]
      #5832050 - 04/30/13 11:31 AM

I use a childs door alarm. put one half on a stake that is driven in the ground. and the other half mounted on the dolly the tripod sits on, move the tripod 1" and the alarm sounds... and they are LOUD!! runs off batterys!

Edited by droid (05/04/13 11:52 PM)

bluesteel
sage

Reged: 03/24/13

Loc: KILM
Re: Unattended Telescope Security? new [Re: orion61]
      #5834647 - 05/01/13 03:23 PM

Really big mouse traps?
Observing in my backyard a couple of weeks ago, I was wondering why one of the many stray cats was being so nice and hanging out, not fearful of me at all...
20 minutes later, the fox family ran by!

What alerted me to something slightly off were the birds. Learn the alarm calls of them at night. They are all high pitch quick chirps. Birds have been the best indicator for me of something amiss when out in the wilderness. They WILL NOT chirp if somebody saunters into your camp sight lost, without motivation for malice or ill intent. If the person is sneaking and/or has ill intent, the alarms will sound.
Also works in the daytime, but differently. They will shut up completely if something with malice approaches.

Edited by droid (05/05/13 12:07 AM)

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Unattended Telescope Security? new [Re: bluesteel]
      #5834733 - 05/01/13 04:21 PM

Meet one text book sociopath in your life and you'll never look at trust and security the same way again. They charm, emote (pretend) schmooze and knock elbows with social deft and they'll rob you without so much as a pulse leap. There is no guilt no pangs of remorse, its damn near robotic. U til you've shaken hands and laughed with these charmers and seen the path of wreckage in their wake, you just won't truly believe it. Oh and through it all? They were letdown by society and everyone owes them.

Odds are not great that you will meet one and know it. But odds are high you've unknowingly knocked elbows and enjoyed their company. Really high. That they do t attend star parties is a little sanguine. And I can't see behaving like there's a socio under everyone's bed but some minor care with lock and key is a prudent measure - and I haven't even touched on kleptomania.

Prudence solves all here and its simple enough to take measures.

Pete

University Optics GEM. Stolen by a text book sociopath .

shawnhar
Postmaster

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
      #5835854 - 05/02/13 09:22 AM

Quote:

so please stop with the "Don't worry your stuff will be fine" responses. If I was 100% certain my stuff would be fine, I wouldn't have asked for advice on securing it. Also, its a hell of a lot harder to steal a setup 24" dob then my 6" SCT that can be disassembled and thrown in the back of a car in less then 2 minutes.

Then pack it up and put it in your car.
The last star party I went to was at a state park with thousands of folks walking around, the second night it was cloud city and the few of us that imbibe, did, all night.
2:00p the next day I drove back over to the observing site to get my scope and gear....it was the only thing around!
Everyone else had packed up and left. My scope and gear was visible from the main road, alone, unprotected.
You will have something stolen at some point, and you will die, worth the worry?

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5836007 - 05/02/13 10:52 AM

Quote:

my 6" SCT that can be disassembled and thrown in the back of a car in less then 2 minutes.

I believe this answers your question on how to protect your equipment, if you are concerned that someone might steal or damage it.

SeattleStarGazer

Reged: 10/19/07

Re: Unattended Telescope Security? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5838823 - 05/03/13 05:51 PM

When I first started attending star parties, I always put my scope away each night, but I noticed that most people didn't. I talked with people and none of them had theft problems. Now I just put away my eyepieces and cover the scope and no problems for 7-8 years. Now I did hear that one of the vendors at a Star Party a couple years ago had an expensive eyepiece 'walk away', which is very disappointing.

sgtcombs

Reged: 11/18/12

Loc: Portland Oregon
      #5851003 - 05/09/13 09:55 PM

AMEN BROTHER! Man, you said it all right there.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2387

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics