Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5822336 - 04/25/13 02:41 PM

Here's another programming savvy move. They'll air the episodes on both Fox and the NatGeo cable channel each programming night. PBSers will be more likely to tune into NatGeo than Fox for a science program.

MacFarlane will co-produce the new series with Ann Druyan, and DeGrasse will be the front man. Here's some insight into Seth's personality:

"Four years later, aged nine, MacFarlane began publishing a weekly comic strip entitled "Walter Crouton" for The Kent Good Times Dispatch, the local newspaper in Kent, Connecticut, which paid him five dollars per week.[14][15] In one anecdote from the time, MacFarlane said in a 2011 interview he was "always like just weirdly fascinated by the Communion ceremony [so] I did a strip that had a guy kneeling at the altar taking Communion and saying 'Can I have fries with that?' And to my 11-year-old brain that was comedy ...." The paper printed it and he got "an angry letter from our local priest .... It created sort of a little mini-controversy in our little town."

I'm becoming encouraged. Oh, and no "Spaceship of the Imagination" this time. Will DeGrasse pilot a Firefly class cargo transport?

- Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: celtictexan]
      #5822341 - 04/25/13 02:45 PM

Quote:

I googled this story and it has Seth McFarland as the lead in the remake.

Red Shift

Reged: 11/09/11

Loc: Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5822749 - 04/25/13 06:25 PM

I would be very interested in seeing a new COSMOS series program that interspersed segments of the original series hosted by Carl Sagan with new material hosted by Both Neil DeGrasse and Brian Cox with guest appearances by Michio Kaku. That material could be easily stretched out to a full year ( 26 episodes ? ).

payner
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/07

Loc: Bluegrass Region, Kentucky
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 [Re: Red Shift]
      #5824183 - 04/26/13 11:34 AM

You beat me to my pick, Michio Kaku who I'd liked to have seen as the lead. The guy is such an intellect and is well versed when he explains his concepts, ideas or fundamentals through analogy.

Best,
Randy

FrankJ

Reged: 03/06/13

Loc: Ohio
      #5828843 - 04/28/13 06:02 PM

I really don't think that anyone can do as great a job as Car Sagan did on the original COMOS. I'll tell you what I think the problem is on most of today's documentaries; a problem that COMOS did not have. It's all the back ground music and sound effects which makes it very difficult to hear what the narrator is saying. A good example is on the Science Channel on the series about the universe. I think the reason for the music and other sound effects is to try to dramatize it. To me, it's annoying. Most of these channels like to hear comments from viewers. I sent them messages telling then that what they had for the viewers was interesting enough and the background "noise" was not needed but totally annoying. Having said that, I have to admit that I do have a hearing problem. So maybe others do not see it that way. Sagan spoke in a clear pleasant voice without the loud background music. There was some music but it was soft and pleasant. I could watch and listen to COMOS and it was very enjoyable. Maybe it's just me, but that's the way that I feel. I've often wondered if other felt the same way.

astrokwang2
sage

Reged: 05/06/04

Loc: Arizona
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: FrankJ]
      #5829937 - 04/29/13 11:12 AM

I agree with you, Frank. There's so much post-production in science shows these days. Not only can the music be superfluous, but the immense amount of graphics seems like a disservice to the science involved. There's almost an assumption that the audience will be total neophytes to science and math which results in the overuse of graphic animations and "exciting" music. While the fancy graphics can be "cool", do they really serve the science involved? I often feel like the graphics are more about advances in computer animation technology than they are about the concepts.

There's something to be said for the more modest use of graphics and props in a science show. I think of Carl's relatively simple graphical explanations of "flatland" and the notion of tesseracts. His modest use of paper and shadows illuminated the concepts beautifully while also making it seem like the science could be explored with everyday materials found in your desk drawer.

Also, I think one of the most overlooked strengths of Carl's show is how he integrated the history of science with the history of differing peoples. There was that episode where he explored the history of the Japanese crab as an opening gambit to a show about natural selection. And in another episode he talks about his upbringing in Brooklyn before he moves into a discussion about Greek philosophers. What a great series of connections! These kinds of wide-ranging connections are thought-provoking and really help to demonstrate how science and history are actively happening around us.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: astrokwang2]
      #5830243 - 04/29/13 01:38 PM

Fox Entertainment: Who needs facts; give'm pretty pictures and something with a beat....

Classic8
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/12/06

Loc: Naperville, IL, USA
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5834590 - 05/01/13 02:55 PM

I also have a harder time understanding the narrator when they have music in the background. Sometimes the music is kinda loud and it seems like they should know better.

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Classic8]
      #5834631 - 05/01/13 03:15 PM

COSMOS was a product of it's time. Sagan had a front-row seat for much of the research and discovery that the show centered-on and was an effective communicator. It certainly didn't hurt that the late Johnny Carson was himself interested in astronomy and frequently had Sagan as his guest. It was another venue for Sagan to speak to the masses.
Any remake will likewise be a product of today. I plan on watching the new series and judging it on it's own merits. Tyson himself is a good communicator and enthusiastic about his field.

I met Carl Sagan some years before the COSMOS series started production. I found him a fascinating man, far more intelligent and knowledgeable than I could ever hope to be, yet very interested in bringing the message of scientific discovery to a larger audience. He was very gracious to the (then) young student Chuck, not condescending at all. I feel honored to have shaken his hand and had the opportunity to exchange a few words with him.

Beerologist

Reged: 07/29/11

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #5835301 - 05/01/13 09:53 PM

I have been following this ever since news first seeped out and have come to the following conclusion.

Most negative nellies don't like the idea because,

1. Tyson isn't Sagan
2. Tyson's views on certain topics they hold dear

What's funny is when you so some digging you will find many of those who repeat 1. also said bad stuff about Sagan!

What is also funny is that those in camp 2. didn't like Sagan's views any more than they do Tyson's because both men share many of the same opinions.

The difference is that Sagan usually was diplomatic but Tyson often is not.

This has Druyan, MacFarlane and Tyson on board so I am prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt just as I did Sagan's Cosmos back when a lot of people were trashing that before it even aired.

A lot of the people who trashed the old Cosmos because Sagan was involved will be people trashing this new Cosmos because it's not the old Cosmos and Sagan's not involved.

I guess some people just love to hate, no matter what.

David Castillo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/06

Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Beerologist]
      #5837195 - 05/02/13 08:39 PM

With Faux Network resurrecting Cosmos, you can expect lots of commercial time devoted to emassing more money to support the lobbying effort to kill public television.
--------
Dave

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: FrankJ]
      #5837409 - 05/02/13 10:50 PM

Aww, Frank, the problem is that we folks here on CN are not among the "lowest common denominator" targeted by commercial network and cable TV. I mean, in what kind of rational Universe does a channel called the History Channel broadcast a show called "Ancient Aliens"?

Regards,

Jim

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
      #5837432 - 05/02/13 11:06 PM

might just sell plenty of ads. print uses astronomy to sell their pulp all the time. I hope it does well, but would obviously prefer some modesty with it.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5837909 - 05/03/13 09:35 AM

"...in what kind of rational Universe does a channel called the History Channel broadcast a show called "Ancient Aliens"?"

One where time travel is commonplace????? Wonder what those ancient aliens feel about that?

Classic8
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/12/06

Loc: Naperville, IL, USA
      #5838015 - 05/03/13 10:31 AM

Quote:

Aww, Frank, the problem is that we folks here on CN are not among the "lowest common denominator" targeted by commercial network and cable TV. I mean, in what kind of rational Universe does a channel called the History Channel broadcast a show called "Ancient Aliens"?

Regards,

Jim

Oh C'mon! It's completely legit!

KidOrion
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/07/07

Loc: Carbondale, IL
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: Classic8]
      #5839068 - 05/03/13 09:08 PM

Those who like Brian Cox may find his appearances on the trivia game show QI to be amusing (this is where I first saw him). This might be the greatest show on TV anywhere, although there's a great deal of ribald, PG-13 humor.

QI: Incomprehensible

(What's astoundingly coincidental about this episode is that it opens with a discussion of the work of Kon Slobodchikoff, the husband of my Russian professor from NAU back in the days when I was an astronomy major.)

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W
Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: KidOrion]
      #5842564 - 05/05/13 10:08 PM

This article on Wired says the show will start some time in 2013.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/08/cosmos-to-get-a-sequel-hosted-by-neil-de...

Is it a typo?

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5842596 - 05/05/13 10:25 PM

No. Just out of date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Space-Time_Odyssey

"It was originally announced that it would premiere in the 2012–13 United States network television schedule, but a Twitter update from Neil deGrasse Tyson in June 2012 indicates a Spring 2014 release.[3][4] Episodes will premiere on Fox and also air on National Geographic Channel on the same night.[5]"

- Jim

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W
      #5858702 - 05/13/13 10:00 PM

This news page has two YouTube videos. One is the first 5 minute of the original Cosmos and the other is a 30 second version created by Seth on Family Guy.

The 'Cosmos' According to Seth MacFarlane
http://laist.com/2013/05/13/the_cosmos_according_to_seth_macfar.php

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: COSMOS remake coming spring 2014 new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5859638 - 05/14/13 11:19 AM

"No "Spaceship of the Imagination" this time."

Of course, its Fox!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7338

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics