Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Tracking expts with AVX and C8
      #5824294 - 04/26/13 12:27 PM Attachment (32 downloads)

I recently bought a new Celestron AVX to carry my old SP-C8 OTA. I had tried ASPA with the CG5 without much luck. I found I got as good a PA with my polar finder. Clearly others get good results with ASPA so I set out to figure out what I was doing wrong. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but I am getting good results with the AVX. Do a 2+4 align, do ASPA, bang, it's all good.

So I set about to see what the limits of the AVX are in tracking (given a full moon night with lousy seeing, what else would I do?).

The results are shown below. I got polar aligned as well as I could and attempted to confirm that by slewing in RA with the shutter open (Regulus, upper left). I then tried several different exposure lengths unguided.* 60s seemed to be fine. 150s was okay if I would be willing to lose 20-40% of my subs (see one good 150s and one bad).

I then ran the PEC routine and employed that while guiding. 150s was no sweat. 300s was fine. 600s was fine. Finally, I've posted the one 900s exposure I recorded. It was at ISO 100 with a Canon T2i, f/6.3 reducer and Hutech LPAS filter. I confirmed the identity of the asteroid by recording images over a few hours (see Solar System forum if you're interested). The guider was the Orion Finder guider.

To be honest, I'm about as happy as I can be with this outcome. I was never able to get consistently good tracking with the CG5 over 5 minutes. Here I have round stars at 15 minutes. Hopefully, it wasn't just a fluky good night.

* what is it with the desire to run unguided? AP seems pretty complicated no matter what you do, I figure you may as well make it slightly more complicated and guide, thus ensuring a more likely happy outcome. YMMV, I suppose.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bretm

Reged: 12/27/09

Re: Tracking expts with AVX and C8 new [Re: bunyon]
      #5824358 - 04/26/13 01:00 PM

Paul:

Thanks for the report. My AVX is on the truck for delivery - I hope I get results anywhere near as good as you are...

Bret

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Tracking expts with AVX and C8 new [Re: bretm]
      #5825618 - 04/27/13 02:22 AM

I was getting similar results with mine. Other than the hand controller issue I had early on, this mount has turned out to be amazing! I could not be more happy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
33 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 520

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics