Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Rocketlawnchair

Reged: 06/17/11

Loc: Toronto, ON
Re: Stone Tarvern Farm new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5823158 - 04/25/13 09:12 PM

Quote:

Wait a second, they're portraying this place as a dark sky getaway, and you still have to deal with floodlights? What gives?

If I want bright lights in my face while observing, anywhere nearby will do... and it's free.

I may have missed something, but nowhere in this thread or on their website did I read that THEY portray this site as a dark sky getaway.

Looks like a great observing site to me.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: Stone Tarvern Farm new [Re: Rocketlawnchair]
      #5824259 - 04/26/13 12:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wait a second, they're portraying this place as a dark sky getaway, and you still have to deal with floodlights? What gives?

If I want bright lights in my face while observing, anywhere nearby will do... and it's free.

I may have missed something, but nowhere in this thread or on their website did I read that THEY portray this site as a dark sky getaway.

Nowhere did I say that the owners of the farm portrayed their property as such; "they're" refers to other amateurs who have visited this site and raved about the dark skies... I've both read and heard this from them. No previous mention of floodlights was ever made by any of them to my knowledge, hence my comment. Additionally, one could reasonably expect fairly dark skies at this location, when referring to its location on the LP map; otherwise, why make such an extended trek?

I agree that it's undoubtedly a good observing spot, provided, however, that one can successfully dodge the local light pollution... otherwise, one cannot dark-adapt, in which case it's not much better than a lot of considerably more convenient sites much nearer to populated areas under orange or red zone skies.

My stands.

Doc Willie
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
      #5824486 - 04/26/13 01:54 PM

As I recall, there are one or two lights, not very close. Probably in the summer they are blocked by trees, as I barely remember them being there. In any case, it is no where near like home, where there are lights in every direction.

Rocketlawnchair

Reged: 06/17/11

Loc: Toronto, ON
      #5824570 - 04/26/13 02:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nowhere did I say that the owners of the farm portrayed their property as such; "they're" refers to other amateurs who have visited this site and raved about the dark skies... I've both read and heard this from them. No previous mention of floodlights was ever made by any of them to my knowledge, hence my comment. Additionally, one could reasonably expect fairly dark skies at this location, when referring to its location on the LP map; otherwise, why make such an extended trek?

I agree that it's undoubtedly a good observing spot, provided, however, that one can successfully dodge the local light pollution... otherwise, one cannot dark-adapt, in which case it's not much better than a lot of considerably more convenient sites much nearer to populated areas under orange or red zone skies.

My stands.

Sorry Amicus, I misunderstood you then.

Believe me, I fully understand the effect a single light source can have on our night vision, as my remote site is also a horse farm, and often there's an external light left on somewhere when I arrive. I'm lucky though, because I know the owners well and can simply walk over to the light and shut it off. No other lights on the horizon except a very dim light over a kilometer away (which comes in handy for aligning my finderscope).

Occasionally someone is still riding in the outdoor arena when we get there, and that's lit by a large "stadium" light. But they very rarely ride beyond dusk, so by the time we're set-up, the light gets turned off.

It would be frustrating to drive that far, only to have a light on close by.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: Stone Tarvern Farm [Re: Rocketlawnchair]
      #5824785 - 04/26/13 04:15 PM

My bad, Dave; upon re-reading, it's apparent that I should have been clearer in my earlier post, as I now see that it could be very easily misread

Yes indeed, it only takes one ill-placed light to really mess up an otherwise excellent site. If it can be turned off or, in the worst case, blocked, the site is salvageable. Since there are apparently at least a couple of lights up at STF (even if blocked by trees, as Doc has mentioned), it might be wise to take a portable light block of some type when venturing up there; this would really apply anywhere a long drive to a site is undertaken, as a means to avoid disappointment upon arrival. A tarp, rope and a couple of poles would likely suffice.

Fred

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1780

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics